Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Long out/Marshall In

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    How do you get him to grow into that role though, unless he leaves and get's experience elsewhere. I'd like nothing better than to see Wellens as a successful Saints coach in the future, but don't really want to see him go to another club, unless it's with a plan to bring him back.
    I'd send him on secondment to an Australian club for two years. Whilst still being paid by Saints.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

[QUOTE=Tabasco;762856]I agree but I wouldn’t class Wellens as someone with extreme natural talent and flair and that is one reason why he did not cement a place as a starting half back. What he did have, however, was a strong work ethic allied with grit, determination and an ability to read the game well which allowed him to become an exceptional competitor and full back.[/QUOTE]

Add passion and guts and that's probably a perfect description of Wellens. I'll never forget 2014 GF. Him giving Tommy the nod before that cross kick for the final try, then Wellens thumping his badge after. I know we all have different opinions, but for me Wellens 2006 was probably the greatest season I have seen from a FB.

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    I'd send him on secondment to an Australian club for two years. Whilst still being paid by Saints.
    I like the idea of a secondment, rather than losing him to Wigan or Leeds.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I agree but I wouldn’t class Wellens as someone with extreme natural talent and flair and that is one reason why he did not cement a place as a starting half back. What he did have, however, was a strong work ethic allied with grit, determination and an ability to read the game well which allowed him to become an exceptional competitor and full back.
    I should have made it clearer that I was putting Wellens in the 'doesn't possess the extreme natural talent & flair, but reached the pinnacle through bloody hard work and studying/learning' camp. In contrast to, say, Cunningham, to whom the game seemed to come easy. I've heard it theorised that those players (rugby/football/whatever) who found the game easy struggle, when managing/coaching, to understand and have empathy with those players who don't have that natural flair/talent and don't just 'get it'.

I could be completely wrong here but I think Longy may have ambitions to get into a national side's coaching set up as an assistant rather than a head coach job at club level.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I could be completely wrong here but I think Longy may have ambitions to get into a national side's coaching set up as an assistant rather than a head coach job at club level.
    Yeah I think he’s publicly said before that he doesn’t have any interest in being a head coach.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    He needs to leave and prove himself elsewhere before taking over the Head Coach at Saints - which is what Cunningham should have done. He needs to spend a few years at somewhere like Leigh or Halifax properly learning what it takes to be a Head Coach. I think we would all hate it if he became a success, and took over at Wigan and won everything in sight, but just appointing him as Head Coach in a couple of years without any track record is too much of a risk.
    I agree. There is a huge difference between being an assistant coach and a head coach, two totally different worlds. Things could work out perfectly for him but there’s an equal chance that he could be find himself a couple of months in, the teams struggling with injuries, he’s not got the players he wants, something is going on off the field and if that happens and he hasn’t been in a head coaching position before, he’s got a hell of a challenge on his hands. The fact that he’s Paul Wellens won’t mean anything, it certainly didn’t towards the back end of his career when he was being written off and in some cases ridiculed by some of the supporters. Best thing IMO would be for him to learn as much as he can here at Saints and when he’s ready, look elsewhere for head coaching jobs ideally away from the spotlight (if that exists in coaching) where he can learn how to deal with different situations as the main man. Ideally he does a brilliant job and one day comes back but if it doesn’t work out like that and he goes elsewhere, I think he’s given us enough passion and commitment for us to say fair enough and wish him well.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I agree. There is a huge difference between being an assistant coach and a head coach, two totally different worlds. Things could work out perfectly for him but there’s an equal chance that he could be find himself a couple of months in, the teams struggling with injuries, he’s not got the players he wants, something is going on off the field and if that happens and he hasn’t been in a head coaching position before, he’s got a hell of a challenge on his hands. The fact that he’s Paul Wellens won’t mean anything, it certainly didn’t towards the back end of his career when he was being written off and in some cases ridiculed by some of the supporters. Best thing IMO would be for him to learn as much as he can here at Saints and when he’s ready, look elsewhere for head coaching jobs ideally away from the spotlight (if that exists in coaching) where he can learn how to deal with different situations as the main man. Ideally he does a brilliant job and one day comes back but if it doesn’t work out like that and he goes elsewhere, I think he’s given us enough passion and commitment for us to say fair enough and wish him well.
    Even as an assistant at Wigan he would get plenty of experience at that sort of thing. But seriously, whichever route he goes I hope he is a success, one of my all time favourites.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Just thinking out loud. How could this effect our season? He may not be our head coach but i imagine he’s made some contribution to what we’ve done well recently.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Just thinking out loud. How could this effect our season? He may not be our head coach but i imagine he’s made some contribution to what we’ve done well recently.
    He had a pretty big impact on our attacking structural shape, I'm hoping we don't start to lose that smart maverick style of play as we get towards the end of the season. I get the impression Holbrook is not too happy of Longy leaving straight away, it will be interesting what Marshall can bring to the party and what role will Wellens play with regards to game plans and tactics.

Welcome to Saints Richard.

Marshall looks the part from what's been discussed and the reviews I've read.

COYS

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see how the season goes now after this. If we improve and win some silverware it could be a blessing. If it's the opposite I can see this getting the blame. I think either way we need to be patient, if we loose a couple of games in this part of the season with changing personnel and resting players it's not the end of the world. We need to build some form in a few weeks, perform in the knock out games and finals. Likewise if we improve it doesn't count for much it's the big games that count

Got A Season Ticket

I will be surprised if we notice any difference on the pitch in the short term. Certainly not an immediate impact either for better or worse.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He had a pretty big impact on our attacking structural shape, I'm hoping we don't start to lose that smart maverick style of play as we get towards the end of the season. I get the impression Holbrook is not too happy of Longy leaving straight away, it will be interesting what Marshall can bring to the party and what role will Wellens play with regards to game plans and tactics.
    Long was assistant when Cunningham was coach as well.

I think it’s more important how he fits in on a personal level in the short to medium term, and the club are pretty good at making sure they get the right ‘person’. The technical, coaching impact will be borne out over the next 18 months and beyond if all goes well

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Long was assistant when Cunningham was coach as well.
    He was but KC put him in charge of defence because he didn’t want all this silly expansive stuff he wanted percentage rugby and playing down the middle.

Towards the end KC alienated Long + Lolesi and all you saw was KC on his own, as soon as KC left Long had us playing expansive rugby a couple of games before Holbrook arrived. Holbrook bought into it straight away and Long was given the responsibility of our attacking shape and that included the academy as well.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 12th June 2019 at 22:39.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

[QUOTE=Belgian Saint;762861]
    I agree but I wouldn’t class Wellens as someone with extreme natural talent and flair and that is one reason why he did not cement a place as a starting half back. What he did have, however, was a strong work ethic allied with grit, determination and an ability to read the game well which allowed him to become an exceptional competitor and full back.[/QUOTE]

Add passion and guts and that's probably a perfect description of Wellens. I'll never forget 2014 GF. Him giving Tommy the nod before that cross kick for the final try, then Wellens thumping his badge after. I know we all have different opinions, but for me Wellens 2006 was probably the greatest season I have seen from a FB.
    Me too. That image of Wello is imprinted in my memory. He's a different kettle of fish altogether from KC and far more suited to coaching.

In The South Stand

I'll admit I know nothing of this Marshall guy. Seems oddly timed, just before our Challenge Cup semi final. I hope he's not an elobarately planted 'Agent Marshall'.

As I'm clearly the most important fan of the club, sell him to me. Why is this a good appointment? What's he ever done? What are his strengths? Can he name a time when he's faced a difficult challenge and how did he overcome it?

Or is he just some random former player?

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I'll admit I know nothing of this Marshall guy. Seems oddly timed, just before our Challenge Cup semi final. I hope he's not an elobarately planted 'Agent Marshall'.

As I'm clearly the most important fan of the club, sell him to me. Why is this a good appointment? What's he ever done? What are his strengths? Can he name a time when he's faced a difficult challenge and how did he overcome it?

You love a conspiracy theory agent Marshall and long going to quin's so he can take the Leeds/wigan job. It's all been organised by heatherington and lenagan to bring our season down.

Make sure you wear a tin foil hat to the game so sky can't read your thoughts

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    You love a conspiracy theory agent Marshall and long going to quin's so he can take the Leeds/wigan job. It's all been organised by heatherington and lenagan to bring our season down.

Make sure you wear a tin foil hat to the game so sky can't read your thoughts
    It would need to detect a brain first.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

You want some answers yet can’t be bothered to Google Marshall to find out what he’s achieved? Then again, given your often strange perception of things, I suspect you’ll conclude that he’s achieved nothing of note.

You want some answers yet can’t be bothered to Google Marshall to find out what he’s achieved? Then again, given your often strange perception of things, I suspect you’ll conclude that he’s achieved nothing of note.
    I know a bit about his playing and coaching, but does anyone know where he originally comes from?

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I know a bit about his playing and coaching, but does anyone know where he originally comes from?
    Think he lives in Warrington