Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Worst possible outcome

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Well for me, Its the best outcome. As a 10 yr old in 1987, seeing Saints at wembley for the first time in a match when all we had to do was walk up the steps and lift the trophy finished in tears . Its been a long time to get justice . ‘If’ we beat Halifax and go on to win the final , ill be a happy man and put the Ghost of 87 away in the same cupboard as the Ghost of 89 ���� .
    I wasn't a 10 year old but I was there. My abiding memory of that final is Pendlebury never going in the scrum.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Worst outcome?

The biggest nonsense I have ever heard.

The reality is that we haven't been to Wembley for 11 years and it's become a huge millstone. On that basis, we will probably be nervy and below our best. Against Warrington in a semi, that could well be our undoing. With Hull, you just don't know what you are going to get.

However, Halifax are 8th in the Championship and part-time. It was exactly the draw we needed to get that monkey off our back.

Once at Wembley, then there is no monkey, and Warrington or Hull then become less formidable.

All that matters right now is that we get to Wembley, and we can worry about the rest later.

It's absolutely the perfect draw
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I don't really get this talk about a Semifinal hoodoo.

We're a successful club, depending on the luck of the draw, we get to the later stages of most competitions.
    We've lost our last five Challenge Cup Semi-Finals and the last four Super League Semi-Finals. How much of a hoodoo would you like to have? :-)
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

I’m happy with the draw, feels like a long time since we’ve been to Wembley, however, I’m a bit pi**ed off as I might end up going on my own due to the people I usually go with being on holiday.
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Only thing that matters in a cup competition is winning the next round. I imagine most would consider playing a team in division below you to be a good result in that sense.

Hull FC and Warrington are both good teams on their day. Hull are the definition of inconsistent but when they’re fully fit and are at their best, they’ll trouble any team and have proven that they can get up for one off knock-out games. They were a couple of decent kicks away from beating us in that quarter final last year and I think we scored a few tries when they had a couple of players in the sin-bin. Warrington have some brilliant players as well so either of those two in a final would be tough.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Gives us the chance to book our hotels early too.. just got ours booked..

If you don't want to risk it, stick a fiver on Halifax to win, you can get about 33/1, the most you'll lose is a fiver!

it's not about being cocky, unless we have three sent off in five minutes, we're through.. fax will be happy they've made it so far..

Got A Replica Shirt FW de KLERK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    IF it's a Saints v Wire final we'll be sick of the sight of them by then.

We play them on June 28th, and again on August 9th and the Cup Final is August 24th!!!
    I think they'll be sick of the sight of Saints more like.

For me the worst draw was Hull. We would have the combination of the expectation of winning while playing a team capable of coming up with a big performance and beating us.

It is easy to forget that last year when the draw took place Catalan were terrible and we were right to be happy at the draw. Two months later at Bolton it was Leeds who were the lame ducks. It is hard to know how good Hull will be in two months. Plus if we had beaten them we would still have a hard final versus Warrington.

Warrington would have equal expectations, so would be under as much pressure. So it would have been a good chance to win a big semi.

Halifax is a great result for us. It will take a perfect storm to stop us getting to the final now.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.