Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Slagging off Saints fans !!!!!!

Got A Replica Shirt

Default Slagging off Saints fans !!!!!!

like probably a lot of rugby fans I enjoy the banter on a host of rugby league forums and not just red Vee, I checked out the comments on total rugby after I got back from the match yesterday and must say I was annoyed at the criticism of the saints fans at yesterdays game. The comments re: scummy saints fans booing an injured player by a number of posters on TRL and also BBC commentators really annoyed me, I think it was Davies saying booing an injured player was out of order. Personally I would never boo any player down injured but my understanding yesterday was that it was the referee's decision to stop the game that the crowd were booing.A quick play the ball after that particular break more than likely resulting in another try, the player down was nowhere near the action and was not down with an head injury. We have seen quite a lot of gamesmanship creeping into our game (which players and coaches must accept responsibility for) to stop a teams momentum Chester then not helping when seen on screen suggesting to his own medical staff to claim an head assessment when it was clearly a knee injury just to save a substitution counting. I may be being a touch over sensitive on this but living in the Wigan borough I am sick of the growing criticism of my team and its fans suggesting referee's give saints everything and often point out forward passes and double movements that we get away with. Ironically they never mention incidents that go against us, reckon its just jealousy and I should just ignore it. C.O.Y.S

I was in the west stand and I was booing. Booing the referee who had made the wrong call in stopping play. I don't think any fans were booing the injured player. It suits their agenda to suggest we were.
    Wankers!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dash Riprock View Post
    like probably a lot of rugby fans I enjoy the banter on a host of rugby league forums and not just red Vee, I checked out the comments on total rugby after I got back from the match yesterday and must say I was annoyed at the criticism of the saints fans at yesterdays game. The comments re: scummy saints fans booing an injured player by a number of posters on TRL and also BBC commentators really annoyed me, I think it was Davies saying booing an injured player was out of order. Personally I would never boo any player down injured but my understanding yesterday was that it was the referee's decision to stop the game that the crowd were booing.A quick play the ball after that particular break more than likely resulting in another try, the player down was nowhere near the action and was not down with an head injury. We have seen quite a lot of gamesmanship creeping into our game (which players and coaches must accept responsibility for) to stop a teams momentum Chester then not helping when seen on screen suggesting to his own medical staff to claim an head assessment when it was clearly a knee injury just to save a substitution counting. I may be being a touch over sensitive on this but living in the Wigan borough I am sick of the growing criticism of my team and its fans suggesting referee's give saints everything and often point out forward passes and double movements that we get away with. Ironically they never mention incidents that go against us, reckon its just jealousy and I should just ignore it. C.O.Y.S
    It’s called ENVY

Learning All The Songs

Someone said on Twitter that the Wakefield physio can solve the NHS, that player could hardly walk but in after about 1 minute he was back in the defensive line running about.

If he had hobbled off as it look likely then a respectful applause would had been heard.

And as for Chester trying to get them to claim a head injury, that goes beyond gamesmanship.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

I was there I boo'd but it was directed at the ref not the player. I thought we had done away with all this stopping play if the injury wasn't in the way of play?

Got A Season Ticket Voll au Vent's Avatar

Kendall was well and truly conned by Kirmond and the Wakey 'physics' in the first instance, everyone in the ground could see it apart from 'officials'. Kirmond got his just deserts a little while later with a real head knock but got no sympathy from me. The only tactic Wakey had yesterday was to try and slow us down as much as possible. If Kendall had've got a grip early doors we would have put 60+ on them.

I must admit that I booed the referee initially. I also subsequently booed at the referee and Kirmond as the latter returned to the Wakefield line but only because, having initially looked like he might have torn his ACL, he had then managed to get back to his feet and taken one step suggesting he might not ever walk properly again before then miraculously being able to jog back. What annoys me about these situations is that the referees stop play whenever they think it’s a head injury even when the injured player is nowhere near play and the medical staff are attending to him. I just fail to see why this happens and why play cannot be allowed to proceed, with the ref only being required to stop things if suddenly play moves back towards the injured player.

Upside
    Non Members

To be fair to refs they have to have players health interests at heart, and therefore are led by the players.
    They have to take their 'injuries' at face value.

The other side of the coin, imagine if they ignored an injury and it turned out to be a serious head injury, they would only have to make that error once

I don't know the answer but don't approve of coaches or players taking advantage of a rule/interpretation that's set up in their best interests.

Got A Season Ticket

Speaking from the medical side of things the referee only has to stop play if an injured player is directly affecting play (so in the way or near to where the ball is) or if a Doctor enters play. There is no reference to head injury at all, it’s just that if the medical team thinks it’s a serious head injury the team Doctor will go on straight away so that’s why play is usually stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voll au Vent View Post
    Kendall was well and truly conned by Kirmond and the Wakey 'physics' in the first instance, everyone in the ground could see it apart from 'officials'. Kirmond got his just deserts a little while later with a real head knock but got no sympathy from me. The only tactic Wakey had yesterday was to try and slow us down as much as possible. If Kendall had've got a grip early doors we would have put 60+ on them.
    I think the ref was on instruction from the touch judge, when the physio came on it looked as though he told the player to lie down and then gestured to the touch judge a head injury. I,m not sure but it looked like our club doctor came onto the pitch to help out but soon disappeared when he realised it was a con job of something that was 60 metres away.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dash Riprock View Post
    Spot on mate. Cheap tactics I thought.

Let it die, it’s irrelevant.

Onwards and upwards!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Who really cares about what other fans think??? Theres alot worse fans than ours.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Who really cares about what other fans think??? Theres alot worse fans than ours.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    St Willy Fair enough who cares but I am bothered that commentators on national TV plus idiots on TRL forum and people I know accuse us fans of booing an injured player when it should have been obvious the fans were booing the refs decision to stop play for what in the first instance was never stoppable under current guidelines. Most rugby league fans respect that our own and opposition players put their bodies on the line and don't take pleasure from seeing any player down injured. I walked into my local last night to be greeted with your fans were a disgrace booing an injured player and it just got to me. Compare that to Ben Flower on his return from his ban and being cheered on by the Wigan fans as some sort of hero it was kind of rich coming from them.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I was in the west stand and my impression was that the booing was for the decision to stop play with us on the Wakefield goal line. It was not against Kirmond initially but when he got up and jogged back in to the defensive line we could all see he wasn't injured. I don't recall him being booed when he did go off with a head injury.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I was in the west stand and my impression was that the booing was for the decision to stop play with us on the Wakefield goal line. It was not against Kirmond initially but when he got up and jogged back in to the defensive line we could all see he wasn't injured. I don't recall him being booed when he did go off with a head injury.
    He got plenty of respectful applause when he went off with the head injury, but the fans slagging us off completely missed that situation and wasn’t interested in stating that fact.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    It wasn't the fact he was injured he definitely had something wrong with his leg but the ref shouldn't be stopping the game for a leg injury so far away from play. Then we had their coach signalling to cheat on the screen. My frustration was certainly with the officials. We had a few 50/50 calls go their way, tackle in the air, knock on from Hampshire, 3 stoppages when we were on the front foot. It felt like the officials were keeping them in the game every time we had them under pressure.

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

It's something that has crept into our game in recent years, and it's so frustrating for the attacking team and supporters. Players constantly getting injured whilst defending in their own try line, knowing that the Ref will stop play....and now even if the injured player is about 50 metres from play, the game is stopped. I know players welfare is paramount, but sometimes it feels like they are 'milking it' just to disrupt play/give their defence a breather.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    It's something that has crept into our game in recent years, and it's so frustrating for the attacking team and supporters. Players constantly getting injured whilst defending in their own try line, knowing that the Ref will stop play....and now even if the injured player is about 50 metres from play, the game is stopped. I know players welfare is paramount, but sometimes it feels like they are 'milking it' just to disrupt play/give their defence a breather.
    How do we stop it?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    How do we stop it?
    Simple - follow football, if the game is stopped for an injury they have to go off and can only return at stoppage (not and PT or take a substitution -but not be able to return (since there are injured). Allow the physio to call for a Stoppage - if its a head/serious injury- by putting his hand up or something.

Then Kirmond wouldn't have been allow to jog back into line and Wakefield would have been down a man for a period.

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    How do we stop it?
    What Bostik said !

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if the opposition coach's are putting this into there game plans to slow down the Saints tempo, nearly every game now we are seeing more and more stoppages, Greg Bird was the worse one I've seen last season when he played against us.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if the opposition coach's are putting this into there game plans to slow down the Saints tempo, nearly every game now we are seeing more and more stoppages, Greg Bird was the worse one I've seen last season when he played against us.
    I wouldn't be surprised if any team did it, shame that genuine rules for the safety of players is manipulated

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Greg Bird has had more practice at it than others.