Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sean Long

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

It was noticeable that long speaking took away all the usual hyperbolic speech from the other Commentators about nothing in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    It was noticeable that long speaking took away all the usual hyperbolic speech from the other Commentators about nothing in particular.
    Exactly. I always judge pundits on whether I learn anything from listening to them.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Exactly. I always judge pundits on whether I learn anything from listening to them.
    You would learn less over time

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    You would learn less over time
    That’s precisely my point, I’ve watched the game for 35 years so if I can listen to someone and hear something new that I learn from, that’s got to be good pundit

In The South Stand

I thought Longy was excellent on SKY. He provided great insight and technical awareness to balance Clarke's hyperbole. He's done it, been there and got the t shirt, hope he goes on to great things whatever he chooses to do, one of life's winners.

Upside
    Non Members

That’s precisely my point, I’ve watched the game for 35 years so if I can listen to someone and hear something new that I learn from, that’s got to be good pundit

I agree but over time we would tire of his same old points like other commentators

In The South Stand

I agree but over time we would tire of his same old points like other commentators
    Maybe he'd make different points that may challenge your perceptions and instruct you regarding things you hadn't thought of? Perhaps he wouldn't just mindlessly repeat himself? Just maybe...……………...

Maybe, maybe not. Just my opinion that he gave more technical insight in half an hour than the rest of them have ever done. Jon Wells is the only one who comes anywhere near to it and 90% of the time he just talks about dummy runners holding up defenders. Long for example spoke specifically about the tactics Saints would use against Austin. I’d love to hear more of that kind of thing

Upside
    Non Members

Maybe, maybe not. Just my opinion that he gave more technical insight in half an hour than the rest of them have ever done. Jon Wells is the only one who comes anywhere near to it and 90% of the time he just talks about dummy runners holding up defenders. Long for example spoke specifically about the tactics Saints would use against Austin. I’d love to hear more of that kind of thing
    Agreed