Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fages To Cas ?

Default Fages To Cas ?

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    He got us pretty close last year with a years less coaching and development.
    That’s one way of looking at it. I personally think that with a more experienced half who could manage a game we would have been in at least one of those finals last year. It’s a bit different now that we have Coote, mind - it means Richardson would have some more help on the field, which could make all the difference.

I’m not writing him off - I think he’s got tons of potential - but he’s yet to win me over in terms of his credentials as Saints’ first choice half back in the immediate future.

Starting A Programme Collection

We will see how much DR has improved at the weekend as Theo has a concussion.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    He hasn't played since April though.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We are still in May now

Neither has Danny Brough but he’s playing on Saturday.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    That’s one way of looking at it. I personally think that with a more experienced half who could manage a game we would have been in at least one of those finals last year. It’s a bit different now that we have Coote, mind - it means Richardson would have some more help on the field, which could make all the difference.

I’m not writing him off - I think he’s got tons of potential - but he’s yet to win me over in terms of his credentials as Saints’ first choice half back in the immediate future.
    This. Richardson has a lot to prove in my opinion. I said it last year and I’ll say it again; he began as a capable scrum half with potential but remains just that, stuck on little more than the same level at which he started. I recall saying he reminds me of the Shane Warne observation about a former England cricketer: that, rather than having played 33 Tests, had merely played his first one 33 times.

A way behind Fages in my view.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    Richardson not good enough for me , if Fages leaves I would play Lomax scrum half and Welsby stand off
    No way would you play Welsby at halfback before Richardson. Welsby is a fb and can dip in and out of a couple of other positions in the short term/part of games but not a first choice hb. If Fages leaves, Lomax and Richardson should be the hb combination with Coote helping from his fb position, that would be a more rounded combination with each contributing with their individual strengths. Yes Richardson has had his frailties with decision making and defence but I feel both of these have improved in the latter games when he got a short run in the side when Fages was out. Yes, not fully there yet but improved from previous and hopefully keep on improving (still only young). If it does fail then a rethink may be on the cards with probably bringing someone in to then replace Richardson until Dodd has gained some experienced who is 17 now. That would take Dodd to around the 19/20 age to be pushing for a 1st team shout similar to Jake Trueman at Cas. We have options within the club at hb going forward and these options are all young and need time/experience. We have a strong squad to regularly put out a very strong 17 who can win us games and obviously the comp is not as strong as the NRL games week after week, so I am sure we can bring these good youngsters through our system. Hopefully the days are gone when the head coach throws the youngsters under the bus and doing it publicly, I would presume they are actually coached now.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Neither has Danny Brough but he’s playing on Saturday.
    Yes, but Brough has got 14 years of experience in Superleague to adjust, Richardson has only had 1 full season. My earlier comment was related to the comment on judging how much Richardson has improved based on not playing a super league game for over 4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    No way would you play Welsby at halfback before Richardson. Welsby is a fb and can dip in and out of a couple of other positions in the short term/part of games but not a first choice hb. If Fages leaves, Lomax and Richardson should be the hb combination with Coote helping from his fb position, that would be a more rounded combination with each contributing with their individual strengths. Yes Richardson has had his frailties with decision making and defence but I feel both of these have improved in the latter games when he got a short run in the side when Fages was out. Yes, not fully there yet but improved from previous and hopefully keep on improving (still only young). If it does fail then a rethink may be on the cards with probably bringing someone in to then replace Richardson until Dodd has gained some experienced who is 17 now. That would take Dodd to around the 19/20 age to be pushing for a 1st team shout similar to Jake Trueman at Cas. We have options within the club at hb going forward and these options are all young and need time/experience. We have a strong squad to regularly put out a very strong 17 who can win us games and obviously the comp is not as strong as the NRL games week after week, so I am sure we can bring these good youngsters through our system. Hopefully the days are gone when the head coach throws the youngsters under the bus and doing it publicly, I would presume they are actually coached now.
    Welsby has spent most of his career as a natural half back, he only started playing full back because he was put there in a couple of academy internationals. Fast forward to around 2021 we could optimistically see Dodd and Welsby being half back partners, we will have to wait and see.

Got A Season Ticket

Welsby has spent most of his career as a natural half back, he only started playing full back because he was put there in a couple of academy internationals. Fast forward to around 2021 we could optimistically see Dodd and Welsby being half back partners, we will have to wait and see.
    He has actually played both coming through the Blackbrook team when he moved from Shevington. Yes most of it was at hb at Brook and the same through scholarship and Academy but he isnt a hb at Super League level but can probably get away with it at Academy level. Stick to fb

He has actually played both coming through the Blackbrook team when he moved from Shevington. Yes most of it was at hb at Brook and the same through scholarship and Academy but he isnt a hb at Super League level but can probably get away with it at Academy level. Stick to fb
    I think he will be used as a utility across the back line for the time being, in a couple of seasons he might be considered as a replacement for Coote or Lomax, all depends were we are further down the track. At this stage we can probably say he has the potential to be a first team player.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Difficult to judge on a single game

Upside
    Non Members

Many FBs, centres and wingers were stand offs for their amatuer clubs, the coaches want their best players in the middle touching the ball. When they progress and are around better players they find their more natural position.

I think Welsby is a brilliant player and best suited to full back at this moment in time, he may move to three quarters or halves eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Many FBs, centres and wingers were stand offs for their amatuer clubs, the coaches want their best players in the middle touching the ball. When they progress and are around better players they find their more natural position.

I think Welsby is a brilliant player and best suited to full back at this moment in time, he may move to three quarters or halves eventually
    Cunningham, Wellens, Roby, Moore, Swift and Knowles all started as half backs I should imagine there are quite a few more.

I’d be a bit nervous about him being established as our long term option now. I’m not sure he’s ready.
    I reckon if we had Coote last season all our half backs would have developed or improved at a quicker rate.

Got A Season Ticket

I heard Farage is more likely to go to Catalan, a talented player!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    I thought he didn’t like Europe.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Report was Escare, Taia and Fages all to return to Catalans.. so clearly one wrong at least

I thought he didn’t like Europe.
    Doesn't mind their pay cheques.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Just heard from a reliable source that Zeb , Theo and Thompson have all signed new contracts.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wide 2 west View Post
    Just heard from a reliable source that Zeb , Theo and Thompson have all signed new contracts.
    Would be excellent news if true. 1 down, 2 to go.
    Holbrook will also stay, he’s very keen to.

I know that time is a great healer, but from what I understand Theo comes from a Rugby area that is bitter rivals of Catalans. He was also shunned by Catalans as a youth, and when ever he has spoken about them it’s never been positive. Would surprise me if he went there.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I know that time is a great healer, but from what I understand Theo comes from a Rugby area that is bitter rivals of Catalans. He was also shunned by Catalans as a youth, and when ever he has spoken about them it’s never been positive. Would surprise me if he went there.
    Money talks, that said I expect him to extend his deal on much higher terms at Saints

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Money talks, that said I expect him to extend his deal on much higher terms at Saints
    Often it has to be agents! just to ensure they get the offer being made up! we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    At the same time I hope the agent is not trying to procure ransom values, we do have Danny Richardson waiting in the wings and Lewis Dodd maybe a couple of seasons away. Much prefer to see Thompson on the bigger money as we can't replace him at the moment.