Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magic Weekend Ticket Sales

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I think that's a supercilious comment to be honest; you don't know what career/accomplishments some of the 'types' you are commenting on have accomplished. It's hard for people not to be cynical when they have seen a prolonged series of failures at expanding the sport at various professional levels outside what is considered the heartlands of the game: Gateshead, Paris, Scarborough, Mansfield, Kent Invicta, Cardiff, South Wales, even London (which ironically has succeeded by standing on its own two feet and going organically) etc, etc.
    well if people have all the answers they should be involved, it's easy to have all the answers when not actually facing the daily challenges, anyone who has worked in a large organisation particularly at some management level would understand that

I don't think the comment is supercilious at all, quite the opposite, I don't claim to have all the answers, and I point out that I don't think others do either

And continually dwelling on failures is only holding the sport back

When a sport needs to expand and has little money, a northern image, small investment etc. It has many challenges to make things successful. It is inevitable that there will be failures, successful people don't continually remind everyone of the failures, they learn and move on. Show me a successful business that sacks everyone and starts again after every poor decision, just think about how that would play out. Who gets sacked? Who pays them off, who recruits new people, beds them in, they learn the market, who teaches them this! Once in place they develop their ideas, at first they fail, they get sacked, the whole things starts again....

We should learn, develop, grow and go again, the defeatist types never succeed, never, I've seen it through working life. The defeatist types need to be pushed out of any organisation as they hold it back.
    The situation we have now, fans are so cynical, poor scorn on virtually anything rugby league try's to do and that is damaging. Why would new fans buy tickets when people who apparently follow the sport take every opportunity to say it's a failure and cannot wait to type all the failures for everyone to see? We are more at risk of imploding from internal pressures than external.
    The amount of reasons already given for failure is exhausting, if people want to go they will go, it's that simple, no need to list previous failures and reasons this will fail when we haven't even got there yet

The time for review is afterwards, reflect, consider and give constructive feedback, not tell everyone it's rubbish before the day and then revel in its failure so you can tell everyone your clever and was right

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I'm not sure we do disagree, if the event is less attractive it's because of a reason in the eye of the person, if that's their reason not to go then fine, they don't really want to go. Rarely does someone just say I don't fancy it, they feel the need to justify their decision not to support their team, and often seek one of the " barriers" previously mentioned

Not sure it's fair to judge the event until it's been given a chance
    But the way you're describing the situation suggests that there is a thing that exists in a vacuum called Magic Weekend that people either want to go to or not, and that things like venue, cost of accommodation, access to decent boozers etc. are just post-hoc rationalisations used by people who don't want to go. In other words, people who bring this stuff up just didn't want to go to Magic in the first place and are scrabbling for excuses.

I'd suggest - and the early reports on ticket sales would likewise suggest - that these things are fundamental factors in whether or not people actually want to go in the first place.

I'm totally with you on giving it a chance, by the way, and I'm not calling for anyone's head over this. But I think a lot of valid concerns were raised over this choice of venue at the time of its announcement, and the early signs seem to be vindicating those who raised them (myself included).

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    But the way you're describing the situation suggests that there is a thing that exists in a vacuum called Magic Weekend that people either want to go to or not, and that things like venue, cost of accommodation, access to decent boozers etc. are just post-hoc rationalisations used by people who don't want to go. In other words, people who bring this stuff up just didn't want to go to Magic in the first place and are scrabbling for excuses.

I'd suggest - and the early reports on ticket sales would likewise suggest - that these things are fundamental factors in whether or not people actually want to go in the first place.

I'm totally with you on giving it a chance, by the way, and I'm not calling for anyone's head over this. But I think a lot of valid concerns were raised over this choice of venue at the time of its announcement, and the early signs seem to be vindicating those who raised them (myself included).

Fair enough, I think we are more or less saying the same thing

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I think that's a supercilious comment to be honest; you don't know what career/accomplishments some of the 'types' you are commenting on have accomplished. It's hard for people not to be cynical when they have seen a prolonged series of failures at expanding the sport at various professional levels outside what is considered the heartlands of the game: Gateshead, Paris, Scarborough, Mansfield, Kent Invicta, Cardiff, South Wales, even London (which ironically has succeeded by standing on its own two feet and going organically) etc, etc.
    I couldn't agree more. Some on here have ran companies far bigger than RFL and may be complaining because they would not have kept there jobs with the number of failures we have seen from the RFL. I'm just hoping that things improve under Elstone.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Some on here have ran companies far bigger than RFL and may be complaining because they would not have kept there jobs with the number of failures we have seen from the RFL. I'm just hoping that things improve under Elstone.
    Bigger but as complex with so much against them? I'm not saying they haven't made errors, but this willingness to find fault in them when it's SL not the RFL and we haven't even got to the weekend is bizarre?

Learning All The Songs

We weren't going to go, because of the hassle of getting my disabled wife to the ground. However, the club have arranged with the RFL to get us tickets in the disabled area and we've sorted out parking, so it will be my first experience of a Magic Weekend. I'm not a lover of the concept, however it is now a major event in the season, so we have to get used to it. I genuinely can't understand why Liverpool was chosen (presumably apart from the generous donation by the city council) over Newcastle, which I know is a fantastic place from having spent three years there at University.

I'm not sure what extra marketing the SL are expected to do. Publicity does not come cheap.

And as for free tickets. Yes, of course give away free tickets. If it inspires anybody to love our game, then that can only be a good thing

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    We weren't going to go, because of the hassle of getting my disabled wife to the ground. However, the club have arranged with the RFL to get us tickets in the disabled area and we've sorted out parking, so it will be my first experience of a Magic Weekend. I'm not a lover of the concept, however it is now a major event in the season, so we have to get used to it. I genuinely can't understand why Liverpool was chosen (presumably apart from the generous donation by the city council) over Newcastle, which I know is a fantastic place from having spent three years there at University.

I'm not sure what extra marketing the SL are expected to do. Publicity does not come cheap.

And as for free tickets. Yes, of course give away free tickets. If it inspires anybody to love our game, then that can only be a good thing

I'm really hoping you both have a great experience

Learning All The Songs

I'll still have to cross myself when I go in, like the last time I did. We did hospitality for the Aus v NZ game a few years back, and the hospitality side was absolutely brilliant, but my eyes were sore because everything is just so red

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Saints play in red and white so you'll need to get used to it sharpish msaint !
    Learned comment from The Don

Bigger but as complex with so much against them? I'm not saying they haven't made errors, but this willingness to find fault in them when it's SL not the RFL and we haven't even got to the weekend is bizarre?
    Try running a company that operates in every country in the world, then tell me that the RFL is complex.

Upside
    Non Members

Try running a company that operates in every country in the world, then tell me that the RFL is complex.

How do you know I don't? Maybe I do maybe I don't, it's irrelevant, it isn't easy to run the RFL, regardless of what job you have or had.

The complexity is in the challenges that the rfl have, not the amount of countries they operate in.

None of this helps us move forward anyway. If you believe that every person in the RFL for 130 years has been bad at their job and any decent person can sort the problems and grow the game then I don't think you acknowledge the size of the job. It's difficult and isn't easier if we continually remind everyone or anyone who will listen all the failures. Let's be honest, how many of us would like to see all our failure listed every time we want to progress? How many of us want to be labelled by a big mistake we may have made ten years ago? It doesn't define who we are now or our progression.

Magic may go backwards in ticket sales, but it's another game expeirence for players, fans, helps take the game to a new market, helps with sponsor negotiations, will hopefully have a legacy how ever small etc. No amount of talk over marathons, hotel prices, travel etc will help now, let's get behind our sport, the people involved and if we don't like it afterwards get our voices heard in a constructive way.

I'm looking forward to it, so are my friends so fingers crossed it's enjoyable, and to show I'm not an arse, if anyone fancies a pint let me know and I'll happily have a drink and a chin wag with any positive posters
    Last edited by Upside; 23rd May 2019 at 21:30.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Are tickets still half price if you show your season ticket at the club ticket office? Went on the rfl website and it said they are. I thought that offer had passed a few week ago?

Learning All The Songs

Whats upsets me......is the thought of Rugby Union supporters pi55ing their sides laughing at 2/3 empty stadiums.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by NUTSONTHE70S View Post
    Whats upsets me......is the thought of Rugby Union supporters pi55ing their sides laughing at 2/3 empty stadiums.

Dont let it upset you when we don't even know it will happen or if union really care that much

Let's now worry about what union think, let's try to make it work for us

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by NUTSONTHE70S View Post
    You could flip the coin and laugh at RU following in the footsteps of everything RL does - off hand I can think of video ref., sin-bin, concussion test, taking a major event to Newcastle. There will be lots more. If RL dropped 2 forwards to make the game even more expansive, RU would drop flankers to make it 13 - a side. what a laugh that would be. Oh, and major figures in our sport becoming major coaches in our game becoming major coaches in their game.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    Are tickets still half price if you show your season ticket at the club ticket office? Went on the rfl website and it said they are. I thought that offer had passed a few week ago?

I think they realise reintroduced it to try to boost sales

I think all th arguing should be put to bed now. I really hope people attend in the right spirit and try to enjoy it, if we go exp citing it to be rubbish and we have told everyone it will be we are almost setting it up to fail. In fact you could argue that it's in people's interest it fails or they claim it fails somthey can say I told you so

How do you know I don't? Maybe I do maybe I don't, it's irrelevant, it isn't easy to run the RFL, regardless of what job you have or had.

The complexity is in the challenges that the rfl have, not the amount of countries they operate in.

None of this helps us move forward anyway. If you believe that every person in the RFL for 130 years has been bad at their job and any decent person can sort the problems and grow the game then I don't think you acknowledge the size of the job. It's difficult and isn't easier if we continually remind everyone or anyone who will listen all the failures. Let's be honest, how many of us would like to see all our failure listed every time we want to progress? How many of us want to be labelled by a big mistake we may have made ten years ago? It doesn't define who we are now or our progression.

Magic may go backwards in ticket sales, but it's another game expeirence for players, fans, helps take the game to a new market, helps with sponsor negotiations, will hopefully have a legacy how ever small etc. No amount of talk over marathons, hotel prices, travel etc will help now, let's get behind our sport, the people involved and if we don't like it afterwards get our voices heard in a constructive way.

I'm looking forward to it, so are my friends so fingers crossed it's enjoyable, and to show I'm not an arse, if anyone fancies a pint let me know and I'll happily have a drink and a chin wag with any positive posters
    Who apart from you mentioned 130 years ago. Most if not all of the negative comments on here relate to recent years.
    Whether or not you have run a large company with Multi complexities I have no idea.
    I just don't think running the RFL is that complex. I do not doubt that they have numerous challenges, many of them brought about by recent mismanagement. I wish the RFL the best of luck with all their endeavours.
    I have been a lifelong fan and will continue to be so, to the extent that I fly over for about 6 games per year, the last one being last week. But the fact that I and others think they have made mistakes, results in you labelling people negative posters. People are allowed opinions that differ from yours, and while some may not be in favour of Anfield it does not mean that they are generally negative.

Anyway I hope you enjoy Anfield, I will be reduced to watching it on TV this week.

Upside
    Non Members

Who apart from you mentioned 130 years ago. Most if not all of the negative comments on here relate to recent years.
    Whether or not you have run a large company with Multi complexities I have no idea.
    I just don't think running the RFL is that complex. I do not doubt that they have numerous challenges, many of them brought about by recent mismanagement. I wish the RFL the best of luck with all their endeavours.
    I have been a lifelong fan and will continue to be so, to the extent that I fly over for about 6 games per year, the last one being last week. But the fact that I and others think they have made mistakes, results in you labelling people negative posters. People are allowed opinions that differ from yours, and while some may not be in favour of Anfield it does not mean that they are generally negative.

Anyway I hope you enjoy Anfield, I will be reduced to watching it on TV this week.
    Fair enough, I get frustrated at the continual complaining and almost happiness at seeing mistakes, as if people get more satisfaction from huffing at the RFL than seeing and supporting success. Walk a mile in their shoes and all that, when the complaints are continual, and some of the reasons for complaints seem to be looking for something to complain about then yes I think they are negative.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the games you watch and yes I hope I enjoy anfield to, I'm sure I will, I love the sport and people's company, so mixing with others, new people and different teams is a great way to spend time imo

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I saw a post on a Rugby League facebook group last night. Openly wanting the weekend to flop so people at the RFL get sacked.

Not only is it the Super League who have organised it, Liverpool city council offered to host it as its clear Newcastle wanted the bigger draw of a Rugby Union cup final.

I think it has been taken down now after being proved how stupid their post was.

I think half the problem is, sadly, some RL fans are as thick as mince and dont see a good thing when its happening. The sport is on an upward trend and two massive european clubs have opened their doors for rugby league to show its product and people still complain.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fair enough, I get frustrated at the continual complaining and almost happiness at seeing mistakes, as if people get more satisfaction from huffing at the RFL than seeing and supporting success. Walk a mile in their shoes and all that, when the complaints are continual, and some of the reasons for complaints seem to be looking for something to complain about then yes I think they are negative.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the games you watch and yes I hope I enjoy anfield to, I'm sure I will, I love the sport and people's company, so mixing with others, new people and different teams is a great way to spend time imo
    I am not one that gets any satisfaction from seeing the RFL fail at anything. Though, I do admit to being happy when they realised they had got it wrong with Nige and they got rid.
    I hope you have a good time, and wish I could be there. I'm sure a couple of decent results would enhance the event.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I saw a post on a Rugby League facebook group last night. Openly wanting the weekend to flop so people at the RFL get sacked.

Not only is it the Super League who have organised it, Liverpool city council offered to host it as its clear Newcastle wanted the bigger draw of a Rugby Union cup final.

I think it has been taken down now after being proved how stupid their post was.

I think half the problem is, sadly, some RL fans are as thick as mince and dont see a good thing when its happening. The sport is on an upward trend and two massive european clubs have opened their doors for rugby league to show its product and people still complain.

I think at times people have unrealistic expectations. We need to realise what we are and what we have, there is so much to be happy about we should celebrate great games in an iconic stadium, not the fact we've sold less tickets than last year.

Glass half empty attitude, I worry the negative comments on social media will have a detrimental effect on the weekend, if people of influence had been more positive then maybe we would have sold more

As I keep saying, the time for review is after not before

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I think at times people have unrealistic expectations. We need to realise what we are and what we have, there is so much to be happy about we should celebrate great games in an iconic stadium, not the fact we've sold less tickets than last year.

Glass half empty attitude, I worry the negative comments on social media will have a detrimental effect on the weekend, if people of influence had been more positive then maybe we would have sold more

Exactly!

But its repeated sillyness. I.e Marathons or parking or not close to town.

Its as if people want to put it down just for the sake of putting it down.

In The South Stand

If folk love the game then they should turn up (if they can afford it, obviously) if they can't, then they won't, but please don't let people say they're not going on any point of principle (ie getting people sacked). How mean spirited and ultimately stupid is that? Anfield may not be everyone's cup of tea (it certainly isn't mine!) but it's easy for me to get to and doesn't involve overnight accommodation, it's a showpiece and my team are playing on one of the days and for all those matches it's a cheap do really, so what's not to like?

I don't think it'll be an issue. People will have a moan about anything on social media, but the people who turn up will be there to enjoy themselves, whatever they think about the choice of venue (I'm going and, despite my reservations about the venue and the limitations associated with it, intend to have a good time ... a few pints and three matches is fine with me).

I don't think there needs to be an embargo on criticism until after the event has taken place, though. Elstone has already admitted the event is unlikely to sell enough tickets to break even, and I think it's perfectly legitimate to discuss that as a failing before the first match kicks off.

If we haven't sold enough tickets, it's better to give some away to the NHS, if half those people go it's still boosts numbers, increases sales on the day, looks better, and helps us sell the next week be of more people spend money around the ground
    And if anyone deserves a freebie it’s the NHS staff and the armed forces.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.