Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pies stuffed.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

A brilliant few days away regardless of the result.

IF and it's a big IF the RFL/Superleague have any vision and/or direction they should take the Magic Weekend there in say 2022 or 2023. Let people know two or three years in advance and they can save for it. The atmosphere around the big square just off Las Ramblas on Saturday afternoon was brilliant, as good as amy I've known at an RL event.
    Some questioned Catalan decision to take the game there, how wrong they were.
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 22nd May 2019 at 11:55.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post

IF and it's a big IF the RFL/Superleague have any vision and/or direction they should take the Magic Weekend there in say 20222 or 2023. Let people know two or three years in advance and they can save for it. The atmosphere around the big square just off Las Ramblas on Saturday afternoon was brilliant, as good as amy I've known at an RL event.
    Completely agree, I'd look at alternating magic between a UK and a foreign venue (or do it just abroad biennially) with Barcelona being a start, then look at the likes of Dublin, Toulouse, then maybe some non traditional areas..

But get Barcelona nailed down for 2021

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Completely agree, I'd look at alternating magic between a UK and a foreign venue (or do it just abroad biennially) with Barcelona being a start, then look at the likes of Dublin, Toulouse, then maybe some non traditional areas..

I'm not so sure about Barcelona.

Went in September for a few days & didn't rate it at all.

IF and it's a big IF the RFL/Superleague have any vision and/or direction they should take the Magic Weekend there in say 20222 or 2023. Let people know two or three years in advance and they can save for it. The atmosphere around the big square just off Las Ramblas on Saturday afternoon was brilliant, as good as amy I've known at an RL event.
    Looked a great spectacle on TV. I was very envious.

All for taking it abroad. Set out a plan (ha!) for the next 5 years or so then people can save, plan ahead etc

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

IF and it's a big IF the RFL/Superleague have any vision and/or direction they should take the Magic Weekend there in say 2022 or 2023. Let people know two or three years in advance and they can save for it. The atmosphere around the big square just off Las Ramblas on Saturday afternoon was brilliant, as good as amy I've known at an RL event.
    I must admit being one of those who questioned it as I was expecting about 10K to turn up.
    What was the crowd make-up? I'm guessing your lot took a fair few. Did more travel over than would for a normal Perpignan trip?
    How about the Catalan fans numbers? Any obvious locals or neutrals there?

I do like the Magic Weekends but, as you know, many are not so taken with it. I'm not sure which way these folks would turn if it were to move to Spain!
    I'd be happy to go though.

Upside
    Non Members

There are pros and cons to taking it on the road, it would have to be carefully thought out and planned

I see some big potential benefits but there are so many RL 'fans' who just moan and complain and are waiting in the wings for something to fail so they can jump out and say how stupid the RFL and SL are, reveling in Rugby's failures.

Magic weekend is brilliant, Barcelona was a success, the summer bash is fun, yet people are still finding ways to complain and say RL is dying. The only people killing off RL are the fans complaining about it, how can we attract outsiders when so called fans are queuing up to tell everyone how poor everything is?

Many many things are great in RL, let's focus on that, trying to promote and run a sport like RL isnt easy and we are bound to make errors and have failures along the way, we shouldn't dwell on them.

Is promoting our game really as easy as many believe? We've tried for over 100 years, are we saying everyone person involved was bad at it? Are we considering others factors such as other sports, northern image, lack of finance etc.
    The usual claim is the RFL haven't promoted something, I don't agree. Social media is a big promotional tool now, clubs offer ticket deals, the RFL push ticket deals, they do try, poor ticket sales can be for many reasons, but many just claim 'it hasn't been marketed'! What additional marketing do people suggest? Does anyone work in the world of marketing, it isn't a person with a board walking up and down the street like the old days
    Last edited by Upside; 22nd May 2019 at 13:41.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I must admit being one of those who questioned it as I was expecting about 10K to turn up.
    What was the crowd make-up? I'm guessing your lot took a fair few. Did more travel over than would for a normal Perpignan trip?
    How about the Catalan fans numbers? Any obvious locals or neutrals there?

I do like the Magic Weekends but, as you know, many are not so taken with it. I'm not sure which way these folks would turn if it were to move to Spain!
    I'd be happy to go though.
    Estimate was around 5- 6K Wigan fans, which is a lot more than the normal Perpignan game,. Catalan probably 16 - 18K and around 6 - 7 K "locals" We stayed in Calella and bussed it down for Saturday.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    There are pros and cons to taking it on the road, it would have to be carefully thought out and planned

I see some big potential benefits but there are so many RL 'fans' who just moan and complain and are waiting in the wings for something to fail so they can jump out and say how stupid the RFL and SL are, reveling in Rugby's failures.

Magic weekend is brilliant, Barcelona was a success, the summer bash is fun, yet people are still finding ways to complain and say RL is dying. The only people killing off RL are the fans complaining about it, how can we attract outsiders when so called fans are queuing up to tell everyone how poor everything is?

Many many things are great in RL, let's focus on that, trying to promote and run a sport like RL isnt easy and we are bound to make errors and have failures along the way, we shouldn't dwell on them.

Is promoting our game really as easy as many believe? We've tried for over 100 years, are we saying everyone person involved was bad at it? Are we considering others factors such as other sports, northern image, lack of finance etc.
    The usual claim is the RFL haven't promoted something, I don't agree. Social media is a big promotional tool now, clubs offer ticket deals, the RFL push ticket deals, they do try, poor ticket sales can be for many reasons, but many just claim 'it hasn't been marketed'! What additional marketing do people suggest? Does anyone work in the world of marketing, it isn't a person with a board walking up and down the street like the old days
    Great post. I'm sick of arguing with fans and their continued negativity. Somehow we need to promote the games as events and "the fans" need to buy into it, otherwise the game will just get swallowed up and die, and then I'll guarantee it'll be someone else's fault, not the moaners sat on their barstools and couches watching it on t.v.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Great post. I'm sick of arguing with fans and their continued negativity. Somehow we need to promote the games as events and "the fans" need to buy into it, otherwise the game will just get swallowed up and die, and then I'll guarantee it'll be someone else's fault, not the moaners sat on their barstools and couches watching it on t.v.
    Saints fans bought into it and loved it, especially watching McIlorum rip into his former club.

We went to summer bash and left the stadium to watch the Wigan match in a bar before returning to the stadium for the last match. Needless to say the Wigan match was the best and most pleasing.

However, if you expect Saints fans to get off their barstools and couches and pay to go to Barcelona to watch Catalans v Wigan then you’re completely unrealistic, that was Wigan’s opportunity to take a load of their fan base over.

Great work from Catalans and Barcelona to get it over the line, we enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    ...However, if you expect Saints fans to get off their barstools and couches and pay to go to Barcelona to watch Catalans v Wigan then you’re completely unrealistic, that was Wigan’s opportunity to take a load of their fan base over...
    I think RG was referring to the suggestion of taking MW to Spain and the more general need for fans to buy into other such 'on the road' events.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I think RG was referring to the suggestion of taking MW to Spain.
    I think his response was based on my post which discussed these events as a whole not one specific.

Anfield for example many have complained, flip it a little, what about the players. This is a great opportunity it's for players to play at an iconic ground, with a big game atmosphere and this will help develop them. The more high pressure games you play in the more you develop

Saints fans will support this, we need to get behind it as a RL family and word of mouth is also promotion, so if we slag it off we are doing it harm

I think his response was based on my post which discussed these events as a whole not one specific.

Anfield for example many have complained, flip it a little, what about the players. This is a great opportunity it's for players to play at an iconic ground, with a big game atmosphere and this will help develop them. The more high pressure games you play in the more you develop

Saints fans will support this, we need to get behind it as a RL family and word of mouth is also promotion, so if we slag it off we are doing it harm
    Yes, I agree. I was editing mine as you were typing yours.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

I think that you've got a pretty good idea there mate. Dublin certainly (they love their contact sports over there and this would give 'em a taste of real rugby, not that Yawnion rubbish!) and Toulouse, with French rugby on a high with Catalans and to an extent Toronto (you know what I mean, there's a lot of French character in parts of Canada) it would do well, I think. Could also do Wales? The possibilities as they say, are endless. Just a bit of vision and encouragement needed from the RL and fans alike.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Yes I was. It needs to be an event, and like you I would like to see it spread around over the years but announced and planned a couple of years in advance. We discussed it in Calella over a few beers on Sunday,some of the suggestions were Barcelona, Amsterdam, Dublin, Bristol, London (Spurs new ground), Cardiff, Paris.
    One suggestion was to to play three of the games in Aus and they play three of theirs over here on the same weekend.

You are asking people to cough up more and more though.
    Some would struggle to afford it. Those with families etc.

If you want to take into Europe, take it to Lisbon. It's quality

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

If it was done every two, three or even four years people could save as long as they are informed early enough. I haven't been to Lisbon but went to Porto in early November and that was beautiful.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

Anfield is cheaper as it's closer to home, but peop,e don't like that

IF and it's a big IF the RFL/Superleague have any vision and/or direction they should take the Magic Weekend there in say 2022 or 2023. Let people know two or three years in advance and they can save for it.
    This is hogwash.

The problem with Magic is that so few fans watch the games that don’t involve their team, so thousands go their game and leave, or maybe watch another directly before or after.

I’m a die hard and my group were there early and watched every single game 3 times at 2 venues but we were in a small minority, maybe 1000-1500?

I’ve been to Cardiff and Manchester and saw it with my own eyes whilst not obvious on TV, some of the early games were empty. That was circa £25 a day or £40 for the weekend and a hotel in Cardiff was £200 for 4 of us in a room so £50 each plus £10 towards fuel. That was £100 a head (plus spends which is up to the individual)

Manchester we bussed and trammed it.

To expect normal families and fans to potentially spend the equivalent of a family holiday on Magic is unrealistic if they are only watching one or two games, plus the time off work, planning and disruption of flights, transfers and other expenses it’s a non-starter.

I certainly wouldn’t be paying through the nose to that extent to watch Saints once and then watch Hull, Wakefield et al (maybe even Wigan if they stay up....)

Hell, Salford can’t get their fans to the game at their own place!

One off games YES, Magic? Not a chance.

Estimate was around 5- 6K Wigan fans, which is a lot more than the normal Perpignan game,. Catalan probably 16 - 18K and around 6 - 7 K "locals" We stayed in Calella and bussed it down for Saturday.

Where did you get those estimates from? Same as the full house at Wigan on Good Friday that was nowhere near a full house?

As a one off, I thought it was a great occasion, and can only do the sport good.

Anfield is cheaper as it's closer to home, but peop,e don't like that

‘Nuff said
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    This is hogwash.

The problem with Magic is that so few fans watch the games that don’t involve their team, so thousands go their game and leave, or maybe watch another directly before or after.

I’m a die hard and my group were there early and watched every single game 3 times at 2 venues but we were in a small minority, maybe 1000-1500?

I’ve been to Cardiff and Manchester and saw it with my own eyes whilst not obvious on TV, some of the early games were empty. That was circa £25 a day or £40 for the weekend and a hotel in Cardiff was £200 for 4 of us in a room so £50 each plus £10 towards fuel. That was £100 a head (plus spends which is up to the individual)

To expect normal families and fans to potentially spend the equivalent of a family holiday on Magic is unrealistic if they are only watching one or two games, plus the time off work, planning and disruption of flights, transfers and other expenses it’s a non-starter.

I certainly wouldn’t be paying through the nose to that extent to watch Saints once and then watch Hull, Wakefield et al (maybe even Wigan if they stay up....)

Where did you get those estimates from? Same as the full house at Wigan on Good Friday that was nowhere near a full house?

As a one off, I thought it was a great occasion, and can only do the sport good.

‘Nuff said
    I understand completely.

I haven't bothered with Magic until it went to Newcastle. (I think I went to Manchester once when Wigan stuffed us) but I drove.

The only game in really bothered about is the one involving Saints. At Newcastle, I watched our game & spent the rest of the weekend in the pubs & clubs. So did many many others.

Great day/night out Newcastle. I go for that as much as the rugby.

With the other venues, I'm not too fussed on the social scene, (Liverpool is ok) but I spend a lot of time there anyway as I work there.

Plus Newcastle's ground is right next to the city centre. It's an ideal setting. If it's not broke don't fix it I say.

Upside
    Non Members

The problem with remaining at the same place is we stop spreading to new markets and that's one of the drivers

I like watching live rugby, I like the festival atmosphere, so for me watching more than one game is great, others who only want their own team less so

WARNING! PIE EATER!

This is hogwash.

‘Nuff said
    Good Friday wasn't a sell out, the published gate was 22,050.

5-6K Wigan fans was based on Wigan selling over 4K and others buying direct from Barcelona. I bought 23 from there for our group and lots more did the same.

Good Friday wasn't a sell out, the published gate was 22,050.

5-6K Wigan fans was based on Wigan selling over 4K and others buying direct from Barcelona. I bought 23 from there for our group and lots more did the same.

It was a flippant comment, the Sky contingent said “it’s a sell out crowd” as hyperbole, and there were swathes of empty seats (even before the Wigan walk) so I have no doubt that there weren’t the published 22,050 there to be honest.

You’ve got a couple of free weekends coming up though so maybe you could go and play in Barca again?

The way you are playing Messi and the boys would beat you easily enough....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Got A Season Ticket

It was a flippant comment, the Sky contingent said “it’s a sell out crowd” as hyperbole, and there were swathes of empty seats (even before the Wigan walk) so I have no doubt that there weren’t the published 22,050 there to be honest.

You’ve got a couple of free weekends coming up though so maybe you could go and play in Barca again?

The way you are playing Messi and the boys would beat you easily enough....
    3,000 *is* a swathe of empty seats, that’s what you were looking at. The Sky contingent make it up as they go along, we all know that, but stop embarrassing yourself just for the sake of arguing with a Wigan fan

Got A Season Ticket The Meister's Avatar

Just watched the Wigan v warrington game from last night....
    Got to say I’m impressed by Morgan Smithies - work rate in defence was exceptional - and not bad in attack either.
    Definitely a talented player for the future for the pies ��
    “With great power comes great responsibility”