Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Super League & Betfred sign record spons

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Default Super League & Betfred sign record spons

Super League and Betfred have announced the biggest commercial deal in the history of the competition by extending their partnership for a further two seasons.

The multi-million-pound investment by Betfred, owned by Rugby League fan and Salfordian Fred Done, will see the current three-year partnership extended until the end of the 2021 season.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...onsorship-deal

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Super League and Betfred have announced the biggest commercial deal in the history of the competition by extending their partnership for a further two seasons.

The multi-million-pound investment by Betfred, owned by Rugby League fan and Salfordian Fred Done, will see the current three-year partnership extended until the end of the 2021 season.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...onsorship-deal
    Brilliant news, won't be long no before the miserable negative people find a way to complain

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Brilliant news, won't be long no before the miserable negative people find a way to complain
    The negative would appear to be the sport struggles to attract bluechip partners (the term sponsor and its connotations belong in the 1990's) and seems wedded to partners that still belong to the stereotype the game wants to move itself away from.

The positive is it is much likelier to have been negotiated more competently than the RFL would have delivered; my understanding is that this was negotiated by the Super League commercial chief commercial officer under Robert Elstone's leadership. With cheap dig intended, the top level of the sport now has a deal that amounts much more than the infamous RFL negotiated deal which sold naming rights in exchange for little more than a few naff tarpaulin adverts across a bunch of haulage trucks.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 23rd May 2019 at 13:58.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    The negative would appear to be the sport struggles to attract bluechip partners (the term sponsor and its connotations belong in the 1990's) and seems wedded to partners that still belong to the stereotype the game wants to move itself away from.

The positive is it is much likelier to have been negotiated more competently than the RFL would have delivered; my understanding is that this was negotiated by the Super League commercial chief commercial officer under Robert Elstone's leadership. With cheap dig intended, the top level of the sport has a deal that amounts to little more than naff tarpaulin adverts across a few haulage trucks.

Multi million investment over 5 years as opposed to 10 adverts on trucks for one year....it's only a little more?

Banned

Multi million investment over 5 years as opposed to 10 adverts on trucks for one year....it's only a little more?
    Sorry I phrased that incorrectly; I've updated my post to be clearer. As my post insinuates I think the deal negotiated by SL was much more favourable than the RFL would have achieved in its old guise. The 'little more' comment was meant to reflect the hideous decision to give naming rights in exchange for a few tarpaulin banners.

Upside
    Non Members

Sorry I phrased that incorrectly; I've updated my post to be clearer. As my post insinuates I think the deal negotiated by SL was much more favourable than the RFL would have achieved in its old guise. The 'little more' comment was meant to reflect the hideous decision to give naming rights in exchange for a few tarpaulin banners.
    Argue that makes far more sense

Yes it was embarrassing but I think it was the only offer available so took what they could

For me this further demonstrates the product has moved on and increased in value

Was it not SL who also negotiated the previous deals?

Banned

Argue that makes far more sense

Yes it was embarrassing but I think it was the only offer available so took what they could
    Or conversely it reflected the failure of those running the sport to present the sport in a favourable light; to demonstrate tangible growth at all levels of the sport (that didn't involve incentivising the offering) and to present itself an attractive 'lifestyle choice' or 'trend' to brand partners. Fortunately Robert Elstone is working hard to rectify past failures:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spor...rand-1-9738939

For me this further demonstrates the product has moved on and increased in value

Was it not SL who also negotiated the previous deals?
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby...eague-13716166

No, it was the RFL. The creation of a separate CEO - outside the RFL - to manage the affairs/interests of the SL clubs was instituted last year with appointment of Robert Elstone. It is Super League chief commercial officer, Rhodri Jones who is part of Elstone's team that has led the delivery of this deal.

Creation of a SL CEO was the will of most of the Super League Chairmen (Gary Hetherington the notable exception) as the clubs clearly had a crisis of confidence that the RFL could properly represent their interests and probably felt the game's governing body was no longer fit for purpose. This move was chiefly motivated by the belief that the clubs needed a new organisational structure to ensure their commercial/financial interests were better managed.

Or conversely it reflected the failure of those running the sport to present the sport in a favourable light; to demonstrate tangible growth at all levels of the sport (that didn't involve incentivising the offering) and to present itself an attractive 'lifestyle choice' or 'trend' to brand partners. Fortunately Robert Elstone is working hard to rectify past failures:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spor...rand-1-9738939

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby...eague-13716166

No, it was the RFL. The creation of a separate CEO - outside the RFL - to manage the affairs/interests of the SL clubs was instituted last year with appointment of Robert Elstone.

It was the will of most of the Super League Chairmen (Gary Hetherington the notable exception) as the clubs clearly had little confidence that the RFL could properly represent their interests. This move was chiefly motivated by the belief that the clubs needed a new organisational structure to ensure their commercial/financial interests were better managed.
    If I remember rightly the RFL conducted the negotiations with various parties and came up with two offers: the £0.00 Stobart deal and an offer from Betfred which wasn't massively lucrative but which did involve some actual money. The clubs then voted for Stobart on the grounds that they didn't want the game associated with gambling.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    If I remember rightly the RFL conducted the negotiations with various parties and came up with two offers: the £0.00 Stobart deal and an offer from Betfred which wasn't massively lucrative but which did involve some actual money. The clubs then voted for Stobart on the grounds that they didn't want the game associated with gambling.
    In fairness, the clubs were hardly presented a set of favourable options - both are reminiscent of that Batman scene - 'do you want death or exile?'

The proposals by the RFL were a clear sign that the governing body was failing. The writing was on the wall form then on in my opinion. I think times have shifted since the original deal was presented as gambling companies appear to be more pervasive in sport whereas at the time they were less visible/involved.

In fairness, the clubs were hardly presented a set of favourable options - both are reminiscent of that Batman scene - 'do you want death or exile?'

The proposals by the RFL were a clear sign that the governing body was failing. The writing was on the wall form then on in my opinion. I think times have shifted since the original deal was presented as gambling companies appear to be more pervasive in sport whereas at the time they were less visible/involved.
    Can't disagree with any of that. It was a grim episode for all concerned.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Without going over old ground it was certainly a RFL deal, Nigel Wood said it could be worth "2.5 million" just not in actual money.. Engage were giving us over a million a season prior to that

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...igel-Wood.html

The stobart deal put us back years, you can imagine the next negotiation: RFL "we want £1m" potential sponsor "you gave it away last year for nothing" you've completely devalued your product

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Can't disagree with any of that. It was a grim episode for all concerned.
    Very much so, thankfully we have moved on

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

While I am happy that we are receiving an increased amount, does anyone know how much it actually is?

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

To be fair there are plenty of football teams sponsored by gambling companies. If the deal's worth a decent amount why not.

It could be worse. It could be sponsored by a vaping company or a pawnbrokers!

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Tapatalk