Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Leeds

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    i got told that Sinfield was for keeping Furner which may sound daft as he sacked him but id guess Furner told Hethrington what he thought and that was the end of him with Sinfield just doing the dirty work
    A furner outburst does sound plausible for the exit, I'm struggling to see why otherwise. Yes they are not playing well but it's clearly not a direct result of the manager/coach

If something is rotten it isn't furner, it's much deeper than that, I don't see sacking furner has fixed long running issues

It just doesn't add up, we are trying to work our criptic clues

In The South Stand

Is this a case of Sinfield being completely out of his depth? Being an inspirational captain and world class player, does not necessarily translate in to being a good coach/manager/director of rugby (delete as appropriate). We should know, after the Cunningham debacle. If Sinfield thinks that there's something rotten at Leeds and it's been like it for some time, why hasn't he addressed it? He's been there!

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    A furner outburst does sound plausible for the exit, I'm struggling to see why otherwise. Yes they are not playing well but it's clearly not a direct result of the manager/coach

If something is rotten it isn't furner, it's much deeper than that, I don't see sacking furner has fixed long running issues

It just doesn't add up, we are trying to work our criptic clues
    I was suprised they made the decision they did. They just seem to have put more pressure and more scrutiny on what was already a difficult sitiuation. The wider problems that Leeds have were never going to be fixed in half a season which is why I’m suprised they didn’t give Furner a season at the very least (unless there’s more to it as you say). One of the benefits to signing Barba IMO was he took pressure off everyone else and he enabled us to tweak and change certain things whilst we were still winning games so it was easier for us to make changes. At the start of the season in particular he was worth 18-24 points a game for us on his own. Leeds tried that with Lolohea but he’s turned up overweight, Hurrell has done OK but he’s a centre contained to one area of the field and Merrin is a forward so they don’t have that 50 + try involvement player who will score tries from nothing if you like. They don’t have anyone to get them out of jail whilst they fix those things up.

The things we’ve spoke about whether it be defence, fitness, ball playing, kick chase, discipline, culture etc will take time to fix. In the short term they do have some players to come back with the likes of Hurrell, Ward, Cuthbertson, Ablett, Ferres, Walker who will likely improve them a bit.

Have to say though it was sad to watch Kalllum Watkins yesterday. Shadow of himself pre-injury at the minute.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I hope for his sake that I'm wrong, but it looks like Watkins's injury has done for him. All of his agility and explosiveness has gone, and it's affecting him in both defence and attack. Reminds me a little bit of Newlove after he did his achilles.
    Watkins looks like he’s come back from injury at about 75% and has remained there ever since. If I was the new Leeds coach I’d be taking him out of the side until he is 100%, even if that takes all season. No point ruining the career of one of your best players in a season where you’re doing nothing.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Much has been said about the players, coach, the general (rotten???) setup etc, but is it just a coincidence that Leeds are in the middle of a massive stadium upgrade programme?
    RL clubs are not particularly large businesses and when you undertake a big project like this, some of your staff resources will be diverted.
    Is it possible that Leeds have simply taken their eye off the ball at the moment?

Sound familiar?

More pressure on Leeds now with London beating Wakey.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Much has been said about the players, coach, the general (rotten???) setup etc, but is it just a coincidence that Leeds are in the middle of a massive stadium upgrade programme?
    RL clubs are not particularly large businesses and when you undertake a big project like this, some of your staff resources will be diverted.
    Is it possible that Leeds have simply taken their eye off the ball at the moment?

Sound familiar?
    When you consider Leeds are labelled as a "big club" in more ways than one they have made a right Pigs Ear of it all. When we went through the similar event of a team transition and new stadium transition McManus used his business brain to instigate a 5 year plan, offered season tickets on that basis but more importantly put a lot of effort into promoting within the club on the playing front, we were unsuccessful with the Lomax and Gaskell set up but still remained competitive, I,m almost sure we were one game away from another grand final appearance.

We phased out our legendary players gradually, Leeds seemed to have done it in 2 seasons and left a lot of big holes to fill in the process, it looks as though the steep decline is going to take many years to recover and that "big club" badge is pretty embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    When you consider Leeds are labelled as a "big club" in more ways than one they have made a right Pigs Ear of it all. When we went through the similar event of a team transition and new stadium transition McManus used his business brain to instigate a 5 year plan, offered season tickets on that basis but more importantly put a lot of effort into promoting within the club on the playing front, we were unsuccessful with the Lomax and Gaskell set up but still remained competitive, I,m almost sure we were one game away from another grand final appearance.

We phased out our legendary players gradually, Leeds seemed to have done it in 2 seasons and left a lot of big holes to fill in the process, it looks as though the steep decline is going to take many years to recover and that "big club" badge is pretty embarrassing.
    They’ve made some terrible decisions recruitment wise. Getting rid up of McGuire when they did was a right howler.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Is this a case of Sinfield being completely out of his depth? Being an inspirational captain and world class player, does not necessarily translate in to being a good coach/manager/director of rugby (delete as appropriate). We should know, after the Cunningham debacle. If Sinfield thinks that there's something rotten at Leeds and it's been like it for some time, why hasn't he addressed it? He's been there!
    I just don’t see how Sinfield being in that role helps anything. The coach will just want to be left to get on with it but he’s got Sinfield over his shoulder constantly whose face is also on the Sky cameras every 5 minutes, which undermines him to a large degree

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I just don’t see how Sinfield being in that role helps anything. The coach will just want to be left to get on with it but he’s got Sinfield over his shoulder constantly whose face is also on the Sky cameras every 5 minutes, which undermines him to a large degree
    Sinfield is you know who's "eye in the sky"
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Banned

Sad to learn Maurice Bamford has died. When I started really getting into supporting Saints in the 80s, he was a big figure in the game.