Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenge Cup

Default Challenge Cup

So we play Hudd at Hudd on paper not the hardest task to overcome just so long as the players mindset doesn't include a walk over.

Our 14th man could be complacency as we've seen before that wrong attitude brings about pitfalls. Ask Sheffield Eagles or Wigoon.

Views welcome, but it had to be mentioned.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Its a banana skin game especially those first 20 mins, I feel confident we are hard to stop in the last 20 mins, but we don't want to be chasing the game at that point. Like we have said before set completion and a kicking game is very important, it looks as though its going to be dry and warmer so we are not going to be stuck on a muddy pitch.

Banned

I'm confident JH will ensure there is no lack of complacency - especially so given last years CCSF. These players seem very grounded and we're winning by putting in the big effort with the hard yards, winning the 'tussle' and not just trying to circumvent that with flashy back play.

It'll be a big test, though. You'd say that based on form and squad, we'd beat these 8/9 times out of ten. But this is a cup game, and we still have some big players missing.

Starting A Programme Collection

Think this year is a big test of our big game mentality when it comes to the business end of competitions. We went well all through last season and fell short when it matter most. Lets hope Holbrook has worked on this area and the players can switch it on when needed and have the right mindset when it comes to games that win us trophies. In all other aspects we seem to be doing great and this season seems an improvement on last in terms of a more balanced and rounded team performance with less reliance on one stand out player.

Huddersfield away presents a test if we are are complacent or don't get on top of them. The CC seems to bring out extra efforts in players and teams beyond what a regular league match would.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Think this year is a big test of our big game mentality when it comes to the business end of competitions. We went well all through last season and fell short when it matter most. Lets hope Holbrook has worked on this area and the players can switch it on when needed and have the right mindset when it comes to games that win us trophies. In all other aspects we seem to be doing great and this season seems an improvement on last in terms of a more balanced and rounded team performance with less reliance on one stand out player.

Huddersfield away presents a test if we are are complacent or don't get on top of them. The CC seems to bring out extra efforts in players and teams beyond what a regular league match would.
    Very fair assessment - The Giants are unlikely to be challenging for GF but can’t see them being relegated. This game - whoever they were playing - would represent their biggest game of season to date - I am sure JH is aware of all this and more, and been planning well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    Very fair assessment - The Giants are unlikely to be challenging for GF but can’t see them being relegated. This game - whoever they were playing - would represent their biggest game of season to date - I am sure JH is aware of all this and more, and been planning well.
    Agree - a lot of these teams will be thinking that the GF is a long way off and is going to be a difficult task so will be thinking that if they can get themselves up for three big games then they can get to Wembley - Hull, Huddersfield, Salford and probably Leeds and Wigan will all be thinking that.

Got A Season Ticket

All well and good being top of the table and playing well but we need to start winning trophies. Hudds will be up for this we really have to turn up with the right attitude.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Agree - a lot of these teams will be thinking that the GF is a long way off and is going to be a difficult task so will be thinking that if they can get themselves up for three big games then they can get to Wembley - Hull, Huddersfield, Salford and probably Leeds and Wigan will all be thinking that.
    Spot on there .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Well Salford Castleford and Leeds can forget Wembley for this year

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    Shut me up those results lol
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

So can I I've just checked the date and realised that even if we get there I can't go :-((

Why don't people check these things before they arrange bloody weddings. :-((

Inconsiderate beggars!!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

If we can add Huddersfield to that list then strangely in the next 5 weeks we play Salford, Castleford, Huddersfield and Leeds in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    So can I I've just checked the date and realised that even if we get there I can't go :-((

Why don't people check these things before they arrange bloody weddings. :-((

Inconsiderate beggars!!!
    I feel for you there.

My dad missed the 1987 cup final v Halifax due to a wedding.
    Will you be able to watch it?

Speaking if which I'm away 19th to 26th Sept so a bit worried in terms of what play off games I may miss

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I feel for you there.

Speaking if which I'm away 19th to 26th Sept so a bit worried in terms of what play off games I may miss
    Infamous and Ralph stop this talk, we are not in any finals or play offs yet, the "Sporting Gods" frown on this talk, we had our hotels booked for the after party victory last year.
    I am not superstitious but me lucky underpants are on the dresser ready to be donned 33 mins before kick off and the tv is sound is set at 9 and nobody can wear socks until after the match.
    Some years ago at a function where Keith Wood was speaking he was introduced as the greatest hooker ever to play rugby before I asked was Keiron in the building, he overheard this and made reference to his admiration for RL and Kez. His then manager told the story of Keith being on the Lions tour and preparing for a match, he is a religious man, part of his preparation was to have a quiet prayer to himself using a certain set of rosary beads, his locker had a scapula of Padre Pio and miraculous medals were placed in his boots just before kick-off. For such an aggressive player one of the Lions assistant coaches expressed suprise saying he did not believe religion was part of sporting outcomes, Woody said " horse shoes, religious statues or lucky charms" he did not believe in either, the assistant asked then why did he have these said items, Keith replied " everyone buffoon knows these are inanimate objects and do not affect results, but a few wise people know that they work whether you believe in them or not"
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 12th May 2019 at 10:01. Reason: spelling

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Infamous and Ralph stop this talk, we are not in any finals or play offs yet, the "Sporting Gods" frown on this talk, we had our hotels booked for the after party victory last year.
    I am not superstitious but me lucky underpants are on the dresser ready to be donned 33 mins before kick off and the tv is sound is set at 9 and nobody can wear socks until after the match.
    Some years ago at a function where Keith Wood was speaking he was introduced as the greatest hooker ever to play rugby before I asked was Keiron in the building, he overheard this and made reference to his admiration for RL and Kez. His then manager told the story of Keith being on the Lions tour and preparing for a match, he is a religious man, part of his preparation was to have a quiet prayer to himself using a certain set of rosary beads, his locker had a scapula of Padre Pio and miraculous medals were placed in his boots just before kick-off. For such an aggressive player one of the Lions assistant coaches expressed suprise saying he did not believe religion was part of sporting outcomes, Woody said " horse shoes, religious statues or lucky charms" he did not believe in either, the assistant asked then why did he have these said items, Keith replied " everyone buffoon knows these are inanimate objects and do not affect results, but a few wise people know that they work whether you believe in them or not"
    Chill out it was a light hearted tongue in cheek comment :-))
    Unfortunately smileys aren't very good on this site sometimes posts aren't read with the humour they're posted.
    As a Saints and RL fan of 60+ yrs my bonfire has been ••••ed on many times by the gods of sport.

Any away game to any Super League is unpredictable and I certainly wouldn't put my house on today's game

Learning All The Songs

I feel for you there.

I remember being at that final Ralph. With the worse part being the celebratory dance when Mark Elia went over to score the winning try. Then me & my mates were wondering why we weren't taking the conversion for the next few minutes......and the rest is history as they say.

Upside
    Non Members

Farce call, amazing tackle on Austin how is that a double knock on?

Got A Season Ticket

Shocking really. Everything about it was wrong. How did he then justify then giving the restart to Wigan as he must have thought the first knock on was by the Wigan player and Austin was just passing the ball.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Farce call, amazing tackle on Austin how is that a double knock on?
    It really was ridiculous,cracking hit and they get pulled back for it.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    It really was ridiculous,cracking hit and they get pulled back for it.

I don't mind refs missing a knock on, or similar, it happens in a fast paced game but tha was a video ref call, ridiculous

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

What's going on with these video ref calls at all. Was the double movement given because everyone was upset that the Leuluai one was chalked off? Fair enough the live calls but the videos are inexcusable.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I feel for you there.

I flew home for 87. Your Dad didn't miss much. I know I am biased but I felt we were robbed that day.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Wakey at home for whoever wins this afternoon

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    What's going on with these video ref calls at all. Was the double movement given because everyone was upset that the Leuluai one was chalked off? Fair enough the live calls but the videos are inexcusable.
    Almost exactly what myself and my lad said upon viewing it. On field mistakes, I get it, it happens fast, there's a lot to keep watching and you have to be in the right place, the video ref however...……………….. It was obvious that the "scorer" got his knees forward and moved himself forward. If it had been momentum his legs would've remained straight as the momentum carried him over. The Crust Munchers were rightly penalised earlier in the season for their third and fourth man in tackles, which could be constituted as lying on, a flop or third or fourth man in when the tackle is completed. However, it appears that they (and they alone) are now able to revert to these tactics, hence slowing the game down and reducing good teams to their base level, great for the uninitiated, as it creates a "contest". Shocking really.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Chill out it was a light hearted tongue in cheek comment :-))
    Unfortunately smileys aren't very good on this site sometimes posts aren't read with the humour they're posted.
    As a Saints and RL fan of 60+ yrs my bonfire has been ••••ed on many times by the gods of sport.

Any away game to any Super League is unpredictable and I certainly wouldn't put my house on today's game
    My smiley is there, no need to chill Infamous, it was meant with humour.