Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Smith new deal

Default Aaron Smith new deal

Signs until end of 2022. Credits Roby for helping him work on his game.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/05/0...act-extension/

Gone, but never forgotten

Knowsley Road

1890 - 2010

Starting A Programme Collection

Great news . Tommo and Holbrook next please !

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Southstandsaint View Post
    Great news . Tommo and Holbrook next please !
    Thompson isnt out of contract this year?

Great news on Smith

In The South Stand

Excellent news for player and club.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Excellent news , I've kept my eye on this lad from being told about him a couple of years back ago from within the club , superb player and just looking at his blog on Saints webpage, it really says it all from as he says on a few occasions a "local lad" great move by the club.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

He seems to have a great temperament and very modest on his appearances so far, once he gets tougher mentally and physically it looks like we could have another great No 9 off the hooker conveyor belt.

Starting A Programme Collection

Like the lad. Seems to have some great attributes. It's always going to be hard for any hooker coming into the sides after the quality of the players before him - Cunningham and Roby are both legends of the club and such a hard act to follow.

I'm sure Smith is going to be a quality player too (even if not up with the likes of his predecessors) seems a good, honest and dynamic player and could yet be another we talk about for years to come. In some respects reminds me a bit of Bernard Dwyer - who was a fair hooker himself before KC came along and took the mantle.

Good luck to him and I hope we do keep the conveyer belt running a while longer.

I mentioned around about a month ago that he had the playing style of Paul Groves and lo and behold in his video clip back drop was the picture of Paul Groves.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I mentioned around about a month ago that he had the playing style of Paul Groves and lo and behold in his video clip back drop was the picture of Paul Groves.
    Loved watching Kit-Kat play.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

He seems to have a great temperament and very modest on his appearances so far, once he gets tougher mentally and physically it looks like we could have another great No 9 off the hooker conveyor belt.
    I really like the lad but was a bit concerned about his size. Just had a look at Saints website and he is not much different to Robes, probably bigger than Roby was at the same age. Hope he keeps developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I really like the lad but was a bit concerned about his size. Just had a look at Saints website and he is not much different to Robes, probably bigger than Roby was at the same age. Hope he keeps developing.
    Not far off, Robes about the same age and physique as Aaron Smith.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...57429030899986

Thanks. Hard to remember Robes being so slim.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Same chins too
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Who replaces Roby when he finally steps down will arguably be the most important player replacement in the club's history. We've not had to worry about our hooker for 25 years, lucky to have had two of the best ever. Such a crucial position for us it's good to see Smith getting some game time to prove himself, fingers crossed he keeps developing and can make it a smooth transition when Roby finally hangs up his boots.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Who replaces Roby when he finally steps down will arguably be the most important player replacement in the club's history. We've not had to worry about our hooker for 25 years, lucky to have had two of the best ever. Such a crucial position for us it's good to see Smith getting some game time to prove himself, fingers crossed he keeps developing and can make it a smooth transition when Roby finally hangs up his boots.
    The candidate for that and because of his new deal will be Smith, I should imagine we will take care of Roby even more next year and utilise Smith and Knowles. With Roby being Smith's mentor it looks as though we will have a smoother transition rather than try and buy someone "off the shelf".

Isn’t Josh Eaves also a hooker with great potential?

I think fans must be realistic and not expect to replace Roby with a clone in much the same way as no one really thought we’d end up with a KC Mk II when Cunningham retired. As far as Smith is concerned, my hopes are high; his pass from the play-the-ball is Roby-esque being both quick and accurate from the ground without the need to pick up the ball and take a couple of steps before releasing. Nevertheless, Smith has shown himself able and willing to have a go himself when the situation presents itself. even though he is still very much a junior in the team. Most impressive in my opinion has been his defence with him not only prepared to work hard from the marker position but also capable of meeting a big runner head on, upright and stopping that player dead, as shown a few times against both Wigan and Catalans.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I think fans must be realistic and not expect to replace Roby with a clone in much the same way as no one really thought we’d end up with a KC Mk II when Cunningham retired. As far as Smith is concerned, my hopes are high; his pass from the play-the-ball is Roby-esque being both quick and accurate from the ground without the need to pick up the ball and take a couple of steps before releasing. Nevertheless, Smith has shown himself able and willing to have a go himself when the situation presents itself. even though he is still very much a junior in the team. Most impressive in my opinion has been his defence with him not only prepared to work hard from the marker position but also capable of meeting a big runner head on, upright and stopping that player dead, as shown a few times against both Wigan and Catalans.
    No pressure on the lad but he will follow in Robys footsteps.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I like him. As a player you want to trust your acting half to give you a good pass at the right time, he looks to have the expertise and technical ability to do this

It would be a stretch to expect him to also have KCs strength to JRs speed but he looks to be very good overall, he has my backing and I'm sure he will progress successfully with all our support

In The South Stand

Cunningham wasn't much bigger than Smith when he came into the first team and Roby looked not much different also.

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I like him. As a player you want to trust your acting half to give you a good pass at the right time, he looks to have the expertise and technical ability to do this

It would be a stretch to expect him to also have KCs strength to JRs speed but he looks to be very good overall, he has my backing and I'm sure he will progress successfully with all our support
    I see you are easily satisfied, what about Roby's stamina?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I see you are easily satisfied, what about Roby's stamina?

You could mention many other things, what about this what about that? I think people get the point

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Cunningham wasn't much bigger than Smith when he came into the first team and Roby looked not much different also.
    Cunningham was chunkier than Smith and miles more powerful when he broke through.

I like the look of Smith but I think coping with the physical rigours of playing 9 at elite level will be his biggest test.

In The South Stand

I will still say there isn't much in them but wont argue , they don't play hooker now anyway.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Cunningham was chunkier than Smith and miles more powerful when he broke through.

I like the look of Smith but I think coping with the physical rigours of playing 9 at elite level will be his biggest test.
    He was exceptionally quick as well

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk