Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19 man squad v Hull KR

Got A Season Ticket The Meister's Avatar

Hull kr first “try” was deffo held up - Roby clearly had his forearm trapped underneath the ball.
    From the performance yesterday it seems that Lomax prefers to play off the back of Fages - who is a brilliant foil for Johnny.
    Great effort by our forwards yesterday - all of our pack worked their socks of - Walmsley was outstanding....
    The class of Roby showed again when he came back on in the 2nd half and immediately took the team forward - great passing from him then saw our three quarters outclass the opposition.
    Looked like a bad nose injury for Robes - wouldn’t be surprised if he missed the Salford game ��
    “With great power comes great responsibility”

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    What we are seeing with both players, is that the competition for that shirt has improved them. Fages has improved his attacking options whilst Richardson has improved his defensive execution. Nice position be in at the moment but in a a positive way a bit of a conundrum for Holbrook.
    I completely agree. Long term though it isn’t financially viable to pay 2 players for one shirt. IMO Fages is the more consistent player. Fages will play well without needing a push. Richardson on the other hand seems too complacent. He was good in 2017 when he was competing with Matty Smith, then last season he had the shirt weekly, relaxed and spent most of his time on Instagram instead of knuckling down.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    I can't agree with that there's an official stood on the line a couple of feet away he's got the best view out of everyone in the ground, he's actively looking for the grounding. If he's ok with it you've got to go with his call. Just because Lomax is complaining to the official doesn't mean anything, of course he's going to try and sway the call. If you watch the Catalan highlights back from last week Catalan complained to the officials at lots of our tries. Does that mean they weren't tries as well? What was the motive of the officials then, where they trying to even up the game or just anti French?
    My case wasn't based solely on Lomax complaining. Whilst we're not angels, we're not in the same whining league as Catalans, The Crust Munchers, or Jake Connor! It looks to me as if the ball is grounded on the line. Yes, there is an official a good position, yet there are countless instances where officials have made poor calls, as we have seen over the years, even ones in good positions and even video refs who can watch things umpteen times. So I'm not just saying Jonny's complaining so it must be a no try, I just mentioned that as his reaction appeared to be genuine and from what I could see, it wasn't a try. As for motives, anti French, anti Anglo, you'd nave to ask the officials. It did make the game more interesting, didn't it?

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    My case wasn't based solely on Lomax complaining. Whilst we're not angels, we're not in the same whining league as Catalans, The Crust Munchers, or Jake Connor! It looks to me as if the ball is grounded on the line. Yes, there is an official a good position, yet there are countless instances where officials have made poor calls, as we have seen over the years, even ones in good positions and even video refs who can watch things umpteen times. So I'm not just saying Jonny's complaining so it must be a no try, I just mentioned that as his reaction appeared to be genuine and from what I could see, it wasn't a try. As for motives, anti French, anti Anglo, you'd nave to ask the officials. It did make the game more interesting, didn't it?
    I know we're not as bad I get that argument but right, wrong or whatever you've got to go with that officials call and accept it he's in a perfect position and there's no way he's give it just to keep the game close. We can't start rating players on how trustworthy they seem.

I thought it was a great try and fair play to them it was a fantastic kick and chase. Looking at the highlights you can't see the grounding because makinson is in front of the camera. It made the game interesting because of hull kr's skill and execution not because of the bloke in the ronseal top.
    Last edited by The frenchman; 6th May 2019 at 18:24.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by djh1972 View Post
    Can anyone who went to the game shed some more light onto Naiqama's performance? I've seen the tries on sky website and he just seems to be getting better every week. From his first few performances to where he is now, is he on the way to being a Saints superstar???
    I fully agree with this. Given his early season performances I wondered why we had brought him in, and now I know! I think we may have unearthed a gem here - quick, strong and shows some very clever touches. He could have a big influence on what happens later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    I fully agree with this. Given his early season performances I wondered why we had brought him in, and now I know! I think we may have unearthed a gem here - quick, strong and shows some very clever touches. He could have a big influence on what happens later in the season.
    For the first time in a good while our right side is looking just as strong as our left

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I completely agree. Long term though it isn’t financially viable to pay 2 players for one shirt. IMO Fages is the more consistent player. Fages will play well without needing a push. Richardson on the other hand seems too complacent. He was good in 2017 when he was competing with Matty Smith, then last season he had the shirt weekly, relaxed and spent most of his time on Instagram instead of knuckling down.
    I reckon Holbrook got it wrong last season and didn't adjust when Barba went AWOL on the pitch, Richardson became a target and was spending too much energy defending, he should have been taken out of the firing line and allowed Fages a run of games. We have it the other way round this season albeit due to that injury to Fages, last year we had 4 half backs and I even thought Matty Smith should have got a few more games to relieve a bit of pressure with our pivots.

The question is if Fages loses form would he be prepared to go dual reg with Leigh I get the feeling he wouldn't like that situation.

From where I was sat I was convinced their second try was grounded in the dead ball line and TV highlights suggest may have been. Given the in goal judge was on the spot have to give him benefit of the doubt.

The most amazing thing of the game was the Drinkwater "no try"! Clear line begging nobody in front of him but appeared to dive short and lost the ball in the process. No idea what he was thinking?!

Got A Season Ticket

What we are seeing with both players, is that the competition for that shirt has improved them. Fages has improved his attacking options whilst Richardson has improved his defensive execution. Nice position be in at the moment but in a a positive way a bit of a conundrum for Holbrook.
    Watching the highlights, it was really noticeable what a significant hand Fages had in most of our tries. He commits defenders and delivers good passes. It’s not mercurial genius, but it’s incredibly effective.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    For the first time in a good while our right side is looking just as strong as our left
    IT is very nice to see,i think in retrospect that Percy getting injured and Tai missing a game has been a bit of a blessing in disguise in that we had to focus more on our right as our main strike was unavailable.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Fiji Kev is a top top player.Coote is a calm assured RL player who puts himself in the right place in defence or attack.Paulo's influence is growing. We are a different team to last year and I hope with a bit of rotation we will be in better shape at the end of the season and a little more composed in the big games to come. We are blessed with a great squad of players the vast majority home grown.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Fiji Kev is a top top player.Coote is a calm assured RL player who puts himself in the right place in defence or attack.Paulo's influence is growing. We are a different team to last year and I hope with a bit of rotation we will be in better shape at the end of the season and a little more composed in the big games to come. We are blessed with a great squad of players the vast majority home grown.
    Thats the difference this season we seem to be more composed in nearly every game so far and I think Coote is adding to that from the back and Paulo down that middle channel. The mobility to create space via Grace and Makinson is also paying dividends as the opposition defence is having to work harder to cover any gaps that are being treated by those 2 players.

Got A Season Ticket

Thats the difference this season we seem to be more composed in nearly every game so far and I think Coote is adding to that from the back and Paulo down that middle channel. The mobility to create space via Grace and Makinson is also paying dividends as the opposition defence is having to work harder to cover any gaps that are being treated by those 2 players.
    Agree, I realise this is the benefit of hindsight, but it seemed like the team had bought into the BB story that he was a magician and would always save the day, when he failed, they failed. Now it seems that the team is benefiting from the balance and professionalism of Coote allowing their own skills to shine. COYS

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Agree, I realise this is the benefit of hindsight, but it seemed like the team had bought into the BB story that he was a magician and would always save the day, when he failed, they failed. Now it seems that the team is benefiting from the balance and professionalism of Coote allowing their own skills to shine. COYS
    To a certain extent I agree but when you look at the games from last season when Barba didn’t play, we won them all. The problem for me was that when he played - significantly in the second half of the season - we relied on him too much and his head or body wasn’t right - for whatever reason. We are playing much better as a team this season so far and seem far more balanced - proven by the fact that a wider range of players are scoring and getting mom awards.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    I know we're not as bad I get that argument but right, wrong or whatever you've got to go with that officials call and accept it he's in a perfect position and there's no way he's give it just to keep the game close. We can't start rating players on how trustworthy they seem.

I thought it was a great try and fair play to them it was a fantastic kick and chase. Looking at the highlights you can't see the grounding because makinson is in front of the camera. It made the game interesting because of hull kr's skill and execution not because of the bloke in the ronseal top.
    I understand that we have to go with the officials, there's no game without 'em, right? Just sharing an opinion. Not sure I was rating players on their trustworthiness, just stating the obvious that Connor, and The Crustmunchers (great name for a band!) are amongst the worst for whinging.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    From where I was sat I was convinced their second try was grounded in the dead ball line and TV highlights suggest may have been. Given the in goal judge was on the spot have to give him benefit of the doubt.

The most amazing thing of the game was the Drinkwater "no try"! Clear line begging nobody in front of him but appeared to dive short and lost the ball in the process. No idea what he was thinking?!
    I’m glad I was not the only one. I have no idea why he did what he did. I thought he misjudged the try line, but that can’t be. I guess we will never know, but wow what a let off.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Fully agree with what you say, but I think also integral to the way we are playing this year is the development and experience of some of our home grown players such as Makinson, Lomax, Thompson and Grace etc. Even the likes of big Al (who is not homegrown) seems to be harder to tackle this year. It's spring and right now and everything is coming up roses.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I think Drinkwater looked like he was running out of gas - it almost looked like he was running in treacle - and pre-empted getting tackled short by trying to dive and slide over from 7-8 yards out. Unfortunately for him he forgot it wasn't raining and just went straight down and lost the ball.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Learning All The Songs

One thing we didn’t have last season was two fully functioning edges in attack so already that’s a big improvement on last season. It’s clearly something that’s been worked on and having someone at right centre who can actually beat a defender helps a lot as well. Could just be me but one of the few players I haven’t been impressed with is Paulo, he’s been really poor imo. I think pretty much everyone else is having at least a good season.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    One thing we didn’t have last season was two fully functioning edges in attack so already that’s a big improvement on last season. It’s clearly something that’s been worked on and having someone at right centre who can actually beat a defender helps a lot as well. Could just be me but one of the few players I haven’t been impressed with is Paulo, he’s been really poor imo. I think pretty much everyone else is having at least a good season.
    Paulo took about 6 matches to settle into our playing structure, after that he has been pretty good especially since the Warrington game and is showing a bit of leadership quality, good signing by Holbrook.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Paulo took about 6 matches to settle into our playing structure, after that he has been pretty good especially since the Warrington game and is showing a bit of leadership quality, good signing by Holbrook.
    I like Paulo and think he can bring a lot to the team. He plays like a genuine loose forward, whereby he's got good hands and is looking for a pass option rather than just carting the ball up, although he's doing this when it's necessary.

Playing that role I imagine it's been hard for him so far coming on for the 2nd half and trying to slot into an already well functioning team.

Think he's been getting better all the time he's been here and, as you've said STIDDY, he's stepped up recently and showed good leadership and got more involved.

Really happy with all 3 of our overseas signings. Good work by the club.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    I like Paulo and think he can bring a lot to the team. He plays like a genuine loose forward, whereby he's got good hands and is looking for a pass option rather than just carting the ball up, although he's doing this when it's necessary.

Playing that role I imagine it's been hard for him so far coming on for the 2nd half and trying to slot into an already well functioning team.

Think he's been getting better all the time he's been here and, as you've said STIDDY, he's stepped up recently and showed good leadership and got more involved.

Spot on mate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post

Half the good things he does, I think it's Zeb doing them. It's only when I watch the game back on TV that I realise it's Paulo

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Im hoping Paulo will bring a bit of mungrel should we need it in a physical game. The games not about fighting these days but its handy to have a player who won’t take a backward step if it gets spicy.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Im hoping Paulo will bring a bit of mungrel should we need it in a physical game. The games not about fighting these days but its handy to have a player who won’t take a backward step if it gets spicy.
    Think he showed that in the Catalan game.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk