Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Sky commentators .

Starting A Programme Collection

Angry Sky commentators .

Just watching yesterday’s match. Have u ever listened to a most biased crew than that lot . Come on sky let’s have a bit of impartialiality..everyone of them except eddiehave been connected to Wigan sometime, please for gods sake don’t let mr Wigan Phil Clark get it. A few people phoned me to say the same . I’m going to do what my family do watch the game with sound down.. rant over...

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    Just watching yesterday’s match. Have u ever listened to a most biased crew than that lot . Come on sky let’s have a bit of impartialiality..everyone of them except eddiehave been connected to Wigan sometime, please for gods sake don’t let mr Wigan Phil Clark get it. A few people phoned me to say the same . I’m going to do what my family do watch the game with sound down.. rant over...
    I watched the game later , listening to the "Wigan muppets" I am rather confused what I see on the box is not what I'm listening to = sound turned down asap.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Upside
    Non Members

Thought it was fine, their job is to maintain the interest for the viewer, wouldn't keep people tuned in if they said one side is out the game

Starting A Programme Collection

It’s like watching Wigan TV

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by knowsleyroaders View Post
    It’s like watching Wigan TV
    Since it was said I’ve been racking my brains about the Wigan injury list they mentioned.

Beyond Farrell, Marshall and Escare are they really missing anyone that important? You take out fages, Percy and Scarsbrook for us and I think it’s pretty fair. Escare is massively underused and undervalued by them also to the point he’s more a squad player than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by A.O.88 View Post
    Since it was said I’ve been racking my brains about the Wigan injury list they mentioned.

Beyond Farrell, Marshall and Escare are they really missing anyone that important? You take out fages, Percy and Scarsbrook for us and I think it’s pretty fair. Escare is massively underused and undervalued by them also to the point he’s more a squad player than anything.
    Manfredi, Clubb, I assume Sarginson. Sammut had also started to get game time and Powell was banned. You can argue their effectiveness and quality but all were missing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Manfredi, Clubb, I assume Sarginson. Sammut had also started to get game time and Powell was banned. You can argue their effectiveness and quality but all were missing.

Cheers. Manfredi is decent, the rest I’m not convinced are game changers.

Upside
    Non Members

They are missing lots of players, perfectly reasonable to mention it

Lots of things in,life to moan about, presenters mentioning Wigan players missing isn't one of them, this is a non story and looking for something to be offended by

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    The sheer excitement in Eddie's voice when Wigan scored and the language used to describe the Wigan tries compared to the Saints tries was striking. The continual harping on about a previous encounter (2007?) when Wigan fielded a team full of youngsters and beat Saints was continually harped on about. I've no problems with them mentioning Wigan's injuries, but the rest of it just comes across as unprofessional and partisan.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    The sheer excitement in Eddie's voice when Wigan scored and the language used to describe the Wigan tries compared to the Saints tries was striking. The continual harping on about a previous encounter (2007?) when Wigan fielded a team full of youngsters and beat Saints was continually harped on about. I've no problems with them mentioning Wigan's injuries, but the rest of it just comes across as unprofessional and partisan.
    Nonsense. If he sounded excited when Williams scored its probably because it came out of nothing and the "game was back on". He was equally enthusiastic for Graces tries including referencing the "wide to west" commentary for his third. Also he had to interrupt Angela Powers for 2 of our tries.

There is no conspiracy theory here.

It’s a well known secret that Hemmings is a Saints fan.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    It’s a well known secret that Hemmings is a Saints fan.
    Thought he was a Wire fan. Isn't that why he's retiring, given up waiting for it to be their year....

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Nonsense. If he sounded excited when Williams scored its probably because it came out of nothing and the "game was back on". He was equally enthusiastic for Graces tries including referencing the "wide to west" commentary for his third. Also he had to interrupt Angela Powers for 2 of our tries.

There is no conspiracy theory here.

Okay, it's all nonsense then, thanks for putting me straight. The SKY pundits and commentary team have always come across as unbiased and professional, with no partisan feelings ever expressed towards Wigan. The ex Wigan players such as Phil Clarke, Terry O'Connor etc have never once showed any favouritism towards their old team. I applaud them for this. And I applaud you for pointing out what nonsense it is to think otherwise. Those pesky conspiracy theorists, almost had me convinced for a minute, thank heavens you've sorted it for me. You'll be telling us that SKY didn't worship the ground Sam Tomkins walked on and the Moon is made of cream cheese next.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Don't understand why people are so touchy over this. Yes the commentary is a crap but they aren't so biased that it's really noticeable. Listen to wish if you want to hear biased commentary.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Okay, it's all nonsense then, thanks for putting me straight. The SKY pundits and commentary team have always come across as unbiased and professional, with no partisan feelings ever expressed towards Wigan. The ex Wigan players such as Phil Clarke, Terry O'Connor etc have never once showed any favouritism towards their old team. I applaud them for this. And I applaud you for pointing out what nonsense it is to think otherwise. Those pesky conspiracy theorists, almost had me convinced for a minute, thank heavens you've sorted it for me. You'll be telling us that SKY didn't worship the ground Sam Tomkins walked on and the Moon is made of cream cheese next.
    To be fair he was right about your original point that Eddie was equally excited about the saints tries.

You have then moved the goal posts to bring in other commentators. I agree that the Wigan mafia are riff at sky, but Eddie was the last independent voice in that team.

It is now essentially Wigan TV.

But Barry was right about your original post.

Upside
    Non Members

You're trying to ridicule the response when it was correct

Terry O'Connor is from widnes, he may of played for Wigan but I'm sure he would love to see widnes back up there

Barry McDermott absolutely loves rugby league, he loves watching anyone do well and is from oldham. He is more of a Leeds fan than anything else

Promotion of Tomkins is good for rugby league, we don't have super stars like Hanley, Meninga, Offiah anymore and we need them to promote the game, Tomkins has been one of the best talents for some time, only natural to promote him.

Eddie has always been impartial and looked to promote the game, which includes teams and players

Your arguments just don't wash. You are allowing your suspicion and the fact commentators have links to Wigan cloud your judgement. Even if you were right who cares? It could be Wigan tv for all I care, I love the game and I watch it impartially regardless. For me the promotion of the sport is very important and the betterment of rugby league should be at the heart of what we do, if we only watch with saints blinkers we end up thinking even commentators are against us, total nonesense

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    You're trying to ridicule the response when it was correct

Terry O'Connor is from widnes, he may of played for Wigan but I'm sure he would love to see widnes back up there

Barry McDermott absolutely loves rugby league, he loves watching anyone do well and is from oldham. He is more of a Leeds fan than anything else

Promotion of Tomkins is good for rugby league, we don't have super stars like Hanley, Meninga, Offiah anymore and we need them to promote the game, Tomkins has been one of the best talents for some time, only natural to promote him.

Eddie has always been impartial and looked to promote the game, which includes teams and players

Your arguments just don't wash. You are allowing your suspicion and the fact commentators have links to Wigan cloud your judgement. Even if you were right who cares? It could be Wigan tv for all I care, I love the game and I watch it impartially regardless. For me the promotion of the sport is very important and the betterment of rugby league should be at the heart of what we do, if we only watch with saints blinkers we end up thinking even commentators are against us, total nonesense

Great post, I applaud you.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

You're welcome.

In The South Stand

I actually enjoyed the Good Friday commentary and I thought Eddie Hemmings was enthusiastic about both teams’ tries. I think he was genuinely delighted by Grace’s hat trick because it was part of a good narrative but also because he was genuinely pleased for a young player.

When it comes to bias, Clarke is my main concern but he has been trying hard to appear neutral and has picked Saints over most other teams this year.

Do I think the current balance is right? No. There is an imbalance because of the preponderance of former Wigan players. If they appoint any new pundits they should look at former players from other teams. To be honest, however, I have enjoyed hearing from current players (male and female) as guests. Perhaps that’s the way to go.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

One of the main things I disliked about Eddie was making everything a controversy. Even in the programme celebrating his career and retirement, he said he liked to throw a bone to the others to start a controversy. As much as he was criticised by myself and others, he was miles better than the rest.