Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holbrook new contract?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I have had a Season ticket for as long as I can remember and have been to every sort of final involving Saints since 1961, and now I only go to the Grand Final out of loyalty, it brings out the drunken once a year spectators, not fans, a hostile aggressive atmosphere between the two sets of so called fans who are fuelled up due to a day of drinking Manchester dry. I know it is supposed to be the culmination of the season, but give me regularly walking out of the ground on a Friday night after a good win any time, and then having a few pints
    I feel exactly the same about the GF. To many people with too much drink inside them to appreciate the spectacle in front of them. I would much prefer Saint's to contest a Wembley final as IMO this is a more enjoyable day out. I went to Wembley many times during my childhood & seen Saint's lose many times before the eventual win but I remember the day out at Wembley as a great day out win or lose. I have a ten year old who hasn't experienced this yet and would love to take him to a Wembley final, here's hoping I can take him this year.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    The structure of pre-SL in the decade before was more or less what we have now. It was just that the prize for finishing top of the domestic league, and the prize for winning the end of season play-offs has been flipped in importance. We all know why SKY wanted to do this, and I take your point about there once being too many trophies.

To answer your question, I'm fairly happy with things as they are now. I value the LLS, but I can see the greater importance of winning the GF. It just saddens me when folks see the LLS as 'nothing'.
    For what it's worth...For each game, I strip things back to the basic object of the sport. To beat the other team! In this way, NO games are meaningless and trophies are a bonus.
    But yes I agree with everything else you said

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Ive long argued that the league should decide the champions. As for ‘keeping the interest going’ for other teams, I’m not sure I agree with that as a principle as it’s meant to be an elite league, not a school sports day. For years I said they won’t ditch the GF as long as there are 70,000 plus turning up, but that’s not even the case in the last couple of years

For me, the CC needs a revamp. It could be initially be played in groups/pools to guarantee a certain amount of games which could then remove the need for the SL loop fixtures, followed by a knockout stage like the Champions League. Put these group games onto people’s season tickets in place of the loop fixtures and straight away you have better crowds, a more appealing product for sponsors and TV viewers and a more sensible home and away format in SL. If you played the cup games generally towards the back end of the season it means you keep their interest going in another competition that they aren’t potentially dumped out of after one game
    Yes good idea about the CC

But the GF is a big day for RL and it’s ability to promote and sell the producer
    So I don’t think it will ever go certainly not for now
    Teams should celebrate the LLS sad that saints didn’t, I think we devalued a product we should have promoted

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I feel exactly the same about the GF. To many people with too much drink inside them to appreciate the spectacle in front of them. I would much prefer Saint's to contest a Wembley final as IMO this is a more enjoyable day out. I went to Wembley many times during my childhood & seen Saint's lose many times before the eventual win but I remember the day out at Wembley as a great day out win or lose. I have a ten year old who hasn't experienced this yet and would love to take him to a Wembley final, here's hoping I can take him this year.
    True but sports like darts only exist because of it
    If we reduced that attraction we would lose money through gate receipts

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    You are correct about Bradfords involvement here, but I'm not sure where you're getting the 'johnny come lately fan' idea from. Many pre-SL fans wanted to retain some sort of trophy for finishing top of the league before play-offs (which, as you know, used to be played for a separate, less valued, trophy).
    I guess it's just an age thing?
    By johnny come lately I'm describing the 20,000 Bradford fans who disappeared when they were required to pay for tickets

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk