Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone know the rules anymore?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    It's the running through that I question, attackers in front of the ball carrier, it's a recent thing, well 20 years I'd say.

If you watch old videos it just didn't happen, wasn't deemed in the rules, the allowance of such has led to this confusing view and policing it is proving difficult. I'm not against less scores, some 48-36 type games can be boring, I want tight competition, not knowing who will win, big hits, creative players etc.

I realise I've made two different points there, I don't profess to have an ultimate answer to either, just something for me and maybe others if they wish to think about
    a few
    Have you not watched the 1972 world cup final there were quite a few attackers in front of the ball carrier it has not changed it just gets penalised more these days rightly or wrongly

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by RonSaintWiggin View Post
    a few
    Have you not watched the 1972 world cup final there were quite a few attackers in front of the ball carrier it has not changed it just gets penalised more these days rightly or wrongly

No I've not watched it, I don't believe it was done anywhere near as much as modern rugby. I played for years at a good level and it wasn't part of any coaches plans. If it did happen as much it wasn't as obvious, but the game was much slower, so maybe it was as effective as now

Anyway, it's certainly a problem for refs and I don't envy their issue

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    No I've not watched it, I don't believe it was done anywhere near as much as modern rugby. I played for years at a good level and it wasn't part of any coaches plans. If it did happen as much it wasn't as obvious, but the game was much slower, so maybe it was as effective as now

Anyway, it's certainly a problem for refs and I don't envy their issue
    I must agree with you Upside it is a big problem for the refs,but it does seem to be a case of interpretation.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by RonSaintWiggin View Post
    I must agree with you Upside it is a big problem for the refs,but it does seem to be a case of interpretation.
    Which is the reason I think it's hard, much easier when it's black and white. Not sure you can make it clear though

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Any grey areas and 50/50 calls go Wigan/Leeds way. I think thats been the general rules for a few years now
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Any grey areas and 50/50 calls go Wigan/Leeds way. I think thats been the general rules for a few years now

Decades

I’ve just seen the Catalans ‘obstruction’ and it’s frankly the most ridiculous VR decision I’ve ever seen. The dummy runner was through the line cleanly and was pursued by the defender in the opposite direction of the ball. The defender was actually between the dummy runner and the ball anyway! That’s not down to interpretation, it’s just a moronic decision

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I’ve just seen the Catalans ‘obstruction’ and it’s frankly the most ridiculous VR decision I’ve ever seen. The dummy runner was through the line cleanly and was pursued by the defender in the opposite direction of the ball. The defender was actually between the dummy runner and the ball anyway! That’s not down to interpretation, it’s just a moronic decision
    I cannot make sense of it

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Decades
    Probably pal
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Explained in full by Mr Ganson on "rugby league backchat" 21/03/2019.Make of it what you will , 2 refs also discussed , again down to ganson , interesting to see only 3 refs now put in place for the "video ref" again down to Mr ganson , quite a number of issues discussed actually well worth a look.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

I’ll have to watch it back but does anyone know why the Aaron Smith and Lachlan Coote tries were disallowed? Is advantage not played anymore?

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I’ll have to watch it back but does anyone know why the Aaron Smith and Lachlan Coote tries were disallowed? Is advantage not played anymore?
    Very surprised he didn't check Smith's given where he ended up with the option to go back to the penalty. Also that's the most blatant professional foul to prevent a try scoring opportunity as you will see

The Coote one, no idea why he stopped that unless he trys to claim it wasnt a play the ball (which it was, Lomax is on both feet)

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Very surprised he didn't check Smith's given where he ended up with the option to go back to the penalty. Also that's the most blatant professional foul to prevent a try scoring opportunity as you will see

The Coote one, no idea why he stopped that unless he trys to claim it wasnt a play the ball (which it was, Lomax is on both feet)
    Yup my thinking too, couldnÂ’t see anything wrong with it, Smith deserved that try as well.
    Stopped not a try scoring opportunity but an actual try

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Yup my thinking too, couldnÂ’t see anything wrong with it, Smith deserved that try as well.
    Stopped not a try scoring opportunity but an actual try
    Fair wording. Is that not the wording for a penalty try?

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post

Having seen the Smith attempt on TV it looked to me like he was stopped just short of the line and then worked to get the ball forward. Perhaps Child saw it similarly so didn’t bother with the review. As for the Lomax/Coote attempt, my first reaction was the same as yours. Later, however, I think I saw a replay from a different angle and thought that the ball was knocked out of Lomax’s hands rather than him playing the ball.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

It was a try , just one clip showed from looking from behind at Smith's backside , it shows clearly the ball is on the line before the 2nd push.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

I watched the game back this morning and I think the Smith one was brought back because it wasn't a try and the coote one I think the ref says Lomax didn't play the ball correctly. Sure he mentions not regaining his feet