Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Warrington

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 19 man squad v Warrington

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/04/1...f-table-clash/

St.Helens 19 man squad:

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 7. Danny Richardson, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Luke Thompson, 11. Zeb Taia, 12. Joseph Paulo, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook 15. Morgan Knowles, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Dom Peyroux, 19. Matty Lees, 20. Jack Ashworth, 21. Aaron Smith, 23. Lachlan Coote.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

LMS and Lomax will come back in, for Welsby and presumably one of Lees/Amor/Ashworth

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Richardson
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Thompson
    Peyroux
    Taia
    Knowles

Paulo
    LMS
    Amor/Lees/Ashworth
    Amor/Lees/Ashworth

Smith and one other to miss out.

If I see Amor playing I will give up. If JH rates him, why is he only on the pitch for a short time? It’s nothing personal but he adds nothing. (I would prefer Douglas). Ashworth & Lees although young add more. They have better feet and are quicker.
    One other point. Why with Richardson playing (as v Catalans) is Coote still kicking?
    I like JH a lot, but on occasions I just can’t see his odd decision. Amor and kicking being 2.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    If I see Amor playing I will give up. If JH rates him, why is he only on the pitch for a short time? It’s nothing personal but he adds nothing. (I would prefer Douglas). Ashworth & Lees although young add more. They have better feet and are quicker.
    One other point. Why with Richardson playing (as v Catalans) is Coote still kicking?
    I like JH a lot, but on occasions I just can’t see his odd decision. Amor and kicking being 2.
    I thought that was odd with regards to the kicking as well.

What’s frustrating about Coote is that he seem to getting all his kicks wrong in the same way, if that makes sense. When kicking from the right wing he drags his kicks wide and when kicks from the left he slices it wide. He never goes across the face of the posts. It seems to me anyway that he’s making the same mistake every time so surely it’s something him and/or Sean Long are looking at.

Either way, I 100% agree Richardson should kick on Friday as it could be that close where a missed kick or two could make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

What’s frustrating about Coote is that he seem to getting all his kicks wrong in the same way, if that makes sense. When kicking from the right wing he drags his kicks wide and when kicks from the left he slices it wide. He never goes across the face of the posts. It seems to me anyway that he’s making the same mistake every time so surely it’s something him and/or Sean Long are looking at.

Either way, I 100% agree Richardson should kick on Friday as it could be that close where a missed kick or two could make all the difference.
    The only logic I can think of is that he sees Fages coming straight back in once recovered, leaving Richardson to play at Leigh so it’s about continuity and allowing Coote to continue undisrupted - maybe a break in kicking duties in the short term might have a detrimental effect on Coote long term? Not saying I agree just trying to work out why it’s happening.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

I've always believed one of the reasons Saints lost against Catalan in the semi final was because the elected to run a weaker pack by leaving out Amor.

I suppose the logic behind Coote kicking is that he needs the regular practice at goal kicking in match conditions in order to improve. If Richardson comes in for three weeks and takes over the kicking, then when Fages is fit again Coote will be back to square one. So effectively it's accepting a short-term disadvantage for a long-term advantage.

I'm not sure I subscribe to the above view, but I think it does at least explain JH's thinking. And I must say, Coote's kicking out of hand has improved rapidly with continued exposure, so maybe the same could happen with his goal-kicking (not that it seems to have done yet).

Learning All The Songs

For me Amor has looked better than Lees, trouble is he's dragged off after ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I suppose the logic behind Coote kicking is that he needs the regular practice at goal kicking in match conditions in order to improve. If Richardson comes in for three weeks and takes over the kicking, then when Fages is fit again Coote will be back to square one. So effectively it's accepting a short-term disadvantage for a long-term advantage.

I'm not sure I subscribe to the above view, but I think it does at least explain JH's thinking. And I must say, Coote's kicking out of hand has improved rapidly with continued exposure, so maybe the same could happen with his goal-kicking (not that it seems to have done yet).
    All good points mate which I can understand, but for me (especially in games like this) I’d much rather let Richardson kick and allow Coote to “practice” in easier games or at training.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    For me Amor has looked better than Lees, trouble is he's dragged off after ten minutes.
    I disagree re Amor, but the more important issue is why is he playing only a few minutes. Luke played all the 1st half v Catalans on a dog of a pitch. Amor played 15 minutes then was replaced by Luke who was gassed. If he trusts him enough to pick him he needs to do more.
    I accept we get mistakes from Lees / Ashworth but they love smashing people and have a turn of speed. Amor does what Greg Richards did. Get ball run to first defender go to ground. (with the odd exception).

I know exactly what you mean re Coote. I’m still confused why he is kicking. Top man for putting his hand up to do a job he has never done before. I would love to know why Percy has not been told to grow a pair re kicking. How we came to Coote as a kicker when we have Percy (don’t want to do it) Tommy Mc who used to kick as well as Lomax. It will come back to bite us and it could be this Friday. Richardson is the best kicker he should kick even if for one game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I know exactly what you mean re Coote. I’m still confused why he is kicking. Top man for putting his hand up to do a job he has never done before. I would love to know why Percy has not been told to grow a pair re kicking. How we came to Coote as a kicker when we have Percy (don’t want to do it) Tommy Mc who used to kick as well as Lomax. It will come back to bite us and it could be this Friday. Richardson is the best kicker he should kick even if for one game.
    I would hope that Percy will come again with the kicking, but I don't think it's just a case of telling him to grow a pair (though I wish he would). His confidence has been completely shot since Cas last year. I would be getting a sports psychologist to have a few sessions with him. It may be a bit costly, but so may missed kicks come the play offs.

Coote is a left footer, Percival is a right footer. Why doesn't Coote kick from wide right and Percival from wide left? Central kicks could be shared, or one given preference.
    I bought a pack of luminous condoms last week. The wife's face lit up.

All good points mate which I can understand, but for me (especially in games like this) I’d much rather let Richardson kick and allow Coote to “practice” in easier games or at training.
    Yeah, I think I agree.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I think a few of the other posts have probably nailed it really, I’d imagine they were just they are just trying to give Coote the opportunity to keep kicking rather than having him not quick for 3 weeks or so and then asking him to get back into it when Fages comes back. I expect Richardson to kick this week though if he plays, you would expect a tight game and the team needs to come first this week. One week off won’t do Coote too much harm.

In terms of the team, 16 of the 17 would be easy selections I would imagine, Amor or Ashworth is a flip of a coin decision, neither of them will be playing long minutes anyway. Only thing I’d say that is that Ashworth’s defence concerns me, particularly after contact and on the ground he’s not great and Daryl Clark will expose that if he gets enough opportunities. He’s more likely make a break though, although we’ve got Thompson, LMS and Walmsley who can do that as well. There are pro’s and con’s for both.

Looking forward to the game I have to say, both teams like to play quick and get their hookers on the front foot so it has the potential to be a brilliant game. As has been said though, whichever pack of forwards gets on the front foot will win this game, Coote, Ratchford, Roby, Clark, Lomax and Austin are all brilliant players and are too good not to take advantage of that you’d imagine. Quality players all over the field.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    I've always believed one of the reasons Saints lost against Catalan in the semi final was because the elected to run a weaker pack by leaving out Amor.
    Amor played and was terrible, you really are an absolute moron.

Learning All The Songs

Stop Clark and Austin ( a lot of that will be down to how good our pack is) and we have a very good chance of winning but that’s easier said than done. Could be Richardson’s last game for a while so hopefully he steps up as we really need him to, on the point of kicking when he’s in the team we may as well use the one thing he offers that we don’t have elsewhere and that is decent conversion kicking.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Amor played and was terrible, you really are an absolute moron.
    You're a pleasant fellow.
    I was sure Lees played a major roll and kept Amor out. However through the excitement I may have made an oversight. It's an honest mistake on my half. But I'm still not crawling so low as to call you a name. Have good day and enjoy the game.

Wonder if it's anything to do with Lomax & Makinson getting bad knee injuries as to why they don't kick anymore?

Learning All The Songs

Richardson's going to have his hands full with Ben Currie running at him all game, if I was Steve Price I'd be telling Murdoch-Massila to run down that side all night as well.
    However if we can keep Austin quiet (easier said than done) and our pack gets on top early on, I'm fairly confident we'll win by 10 . COYS

You're a pleasant fellow.
    I was sure Lees played a major roll and kept Amor out. However through the excitement I may have made an oversight. It's an honest mistake on my half. But I'm still not crawling so low as to call you a name. Have good day and enjoy the game.
    Been called out for spouting nonsense again like your mate Wolfie McWolf. You know where to go if you don't like it

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Been called out for spouting nonsense again like your mate Wolfie McWolf. You know where to go if you don't like it
    That would be your well reasoned response to my post where you dismissed it out of hand because I said I wouldn’t swap Ratchford for Coote and I suspect neither would Saints fans as in you would prefer Coote over Ratchford. Which bit was the nonsense? Rhetorical question really as I don’t expect any meaningful response.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Stop Clark and Austin ( a lot of that will be down to how good our pack is) and we have a very good chance of winning but that’s easier said than done. Could be Richardson’s last game for a while so hopefully he steps up as we really need him to, on the point of kicking when he’s in the team we may as well use the one thing he offers that we don’t have elsewhere and that is decent conversion kicking.
    Austin's "show & go" did a load of damage in his four tries , he's got to be targeted from the whistle , be a tough job for Knowles but it needs to be done .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Austin's "show & go" did a load of damage in his four tries , he's got to be targeted from the whistle , be a tough job for Knowles but it needs to be done .
    What's Jason Hooper up to these days...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Losing LMS for that game was a bigger issue for us, another name missing is Luke Douglas, having a bench of Amor, Lees and Ashworth looks very weak in my opinion because none of them are in any particular form.