Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Warrington Weak

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Default Warrington Weak

Top game ahead.
    Let's hope both sets of fans enjoy it.

Wire excuses for defeat...we're away from home and have a fully fit squad...so none.

Personally I hope we send Eddie StHemmings away heartbroken.

Can't wait...being it on!
    Last edited by Div; 13th April 2019 at 00:49.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Really looking forward to this one. The two stand-out teams so far, should be a big crowd on and bragging rights to play for. I think after our defeat to Catalans the pressure will probably on us slightly more now and back to back defeats will no doubt get the knee jerkers out in full force.

As for the game itself I don’t think there’s much between the teams really. Both teams will be wanting to slow the play the balls down as much as possible as Roby and Clark will be instrumental to either side winning.
    I’d like to think our pick will get on top and we’ll just about edge a tight game but it could go either way.

Can’t wait!
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

People say history counts for nothing but im not sure. Warrington like playing at our place just like we enjoy going to theirs. I fancy Warrington to beat us on Friday. We will be better with Lomax back but Richardson will need to have a good game too.

Hope im wrong!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection

Their pack outmuscled us last time out. If Wire are to win then they will attempt the same.

In The South Stand

They are just a better team than we are. I think Friday will show that pretty dramatically. They will win both the big trophies this season, and probably all three.

In The South Stand

We can beat them, they can beat us. That’s the beauty of sport. If we win that doesn’t necessarily make us the better team and if we lose, we aren’t in some form of crisis.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    They are just a better team than we are. I think Friday will show that pretty dramatically. They will win both the big trophies this season, and probably all three.
    I think theyve definitely got more strike and also a stronger squad overall but much depends on whether they keep their key players free of injury, as is usually the case.

People said that about us last season......
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Very tough game to call on paper, two very good teams on their day. Whichever team wins the game will have to play very well I would imagine.

I agree with TYG, the ruck is crucial this week. I watched them play against Hull FC a couple of weeks ago (Hull had a fair few players missing it has to be said) but it was a good example of what can happen if you lose the ruck against Warrington. They’re a very good short side team and against Hull, a lot of their tries came from a quick play-the-ball, Hull not being able to number up defensively and Blake Austin just picked on a 4 v 3/ 4 v 2 on the short side and they scored on the back of it. So for us, being able to slow that ruck down and get set and organised defensively is crucial really. We are also very dangerous in those situations with the likes of Lomax, Percival and Grace down that left edge so whoever dominates the speed of the ruck will win the game I’d imagine.

Also think our kicking game will be very important. You kick down the throat of Ratchford and Lineham too often and they’ll cause problems, they can both carry the ball well. Put the ball on Lineham’s head or put the ball behind him and back it up with a chase, you’ve got a far better chance of controlling the play-the-balls after that because those two blokes create a lot of momentum for them on those early plays.

There’s no doubt though IMO that we need a lot more direction and organisation in attack that we had last week, particularly in their 40.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Weirdo.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Despite us being at home i reckon Wire are slight favourites because of there better strike, in saying that I don't think they have really played against an organised 80 min defence. It will probably come down to the team who makes the least amount of errors and penalties, hopefully we can get in the face of Chris Hill and also stop those quicker PTB's.

My biggest worry is not Richardson but Roby, he seems to be feeling the effects of tough games, I hope he plays at his best because we are going to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Really looking forward to this one. The two stand-out teams so far, should be a big crowd on and bragging rights to play for. I think after our defeat to Catalans the pressure will probably on us slightly more now and back to back defeats will no doubt get the knee jerkers out in full force.

As for the game itself I don’t think there’s much between the teams really. Both teams will be wanting to slow the play the balls down as much as possible as Roby and Clark will be instrumental to either side winning.
    I’d like to think our pick will get on top and we’ll just about edge a tight game but it could go either way.
    Can’t wait!
    After being at Catalans I’m not sure Roby is 100% fit. I thought he had a poor game. I think he needs to be right for this game. I also think we will miss Fages even more than Saturday. Saturday was the first time I thought we as a team looked shattered. I just hope it’s not a slump and just a one off.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Default Warrington Week

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    There’s no doubt though IMO that we need a lot more direction and organisation in attack that we had last week, particularly in their 40.
    That’s what worries me. Without Fages’s directness we were pretty toothless in attack on Saturday. If we make it up as we go along on Friday we’ll get nothing out of Warrington’s defence. Hopefully Lomax will be back, as that would help, but ultimately someone in the halves is going to have to show a willingness to go straight at the line.

Otherwise I think the teams are pretty well matched, especially in the forwards. It’ll be a good old contest in the middle.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Really hope it lives up to its billing as a top of the table clash. I’m hopeful but far from confident that the Wire will come out on top. Some interesting match ups. I wouldn’t swap Ratchford for Coote but I guesss Saints fans would feel the same. Normally I would say Makinson was the pick of the wingers on show, but he hasn’t really hit the heights this year and I would say both our wingers are currently better than Grace. Centres? Not sure there is much to choose. Without a Fages our halves have the edge, and Austin is potentially the game breaker.
    In the forwards, it should be a real battle. Some real class on both sides (obviously that does not include LMS). I can’t wait.
    I’ll be sitting in the allocated away corner, which on a previous visit had been taken over by 100’s of squealing cheerleaders, I’m hoping it’s not as shrill this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Really hope it lives up to its billing as a top of the table clash. I’m hopeful but far from confident that the Wire will come out on top. Some interesting match ups. I wouldn’t swap Ratchford for Coote but I guesss Saints fans would feel the same. Normally I would say Makinson was the pick of the wingers on show, but he hasn’t really hit the heights this year and I would say both our wingers are currently better than Grace. Centres? Not sure there is much to choose. Without a Fages our halves have the edge, and Austin is potentially the game breaker.
    In the forwards, it should be a real battle. Some real class on both sides (obviously that does not include LMS). I can’t wait.
    I’ll be sitting in the allocated away corner, which on a previous visit had been taken over by 100’s of squealing cheerleaders, I’m hoping it’s not as shrill this time!
    You are actually suggesting that Ratchford is better than Coote?

Oh my.

Renders the rest of your post meaningless

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    You are actually suggesting that Ratchford is better than Coote?

Oh my.

Renders the rest of your post meaningless
    Well of he's not...I will and the man of steel selection panel agree...they also agree he's not currently as good as Roby.
    That I can't give an argument.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    Well of he's not...I will and the man of steel selection panel agree...they also agree he's not currently as good as Roby.
    That I can't give an argument.
    Well that’s not really how it works. Ratchford being above Coote in the MOS standing doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a better player. It means he’s been the stand out performer in certain matches more often. You could have 3 amazing games and 5 terrible ones and be above someone who was 3rd best in 8 games. I know which player I’d prefer in that scenario.

I know that’s an extreme example I’ve used but the MOS standings aren’t a direct comparison between two people in the same position. It simply doesn’t work like that.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

That depends how you define the term ‘team’, pal. I honestly think we are the best team in the league. We are looking pretty good all over the pitch, well balanced, and i think we have more threats across the park overall than Warrington do. I think we are better drilled than Warrington too. I agree that Warrington are favourites to win trophies this year because they seem to have a renewed confidence, and i fancy them to peak in the big games.
    If we were playing at Warrington this weekend i’d be quietly confident. Not sure why but my gut just backs Warrington this weekend.
    The square up between Lomax and Austin will be huge! Austin is a great player but i just can’t imagine Lomax being outshone by his opposite number. If Lomax can match Austin thats half the job done.

My concern is Richardson. He needs to perform. He needs to let Lomax and Coote pull the strings then input himself. He doesn’t need to touch the ball often as long as when he does everything is quality.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    I don't know why anyone is giving these pricks the attention they crave. Pathetic losers.
    You and Fridge have some serious anger management issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    You and Fridge have some serious anger management issues.
    Naaa Ralph Fridge is ok in my book.

Learning All The Songs

Think we will win well, they do not have more strike than us, Grace and Tommy are as good as anyone with an open field, Charnley and Lineham are better starting sets than Grace but Lineham needs a bigger turning circle than the QE2.
    The have a world class stand off who can run and create that is their only advantage. We have a very good stand off who can do the same, though not quite as well.
    Saints win by 12-18 points, lump on it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Really tough one to call. Unless one team gets absolutely thumped, I don't think it will have any bearing on how it turns out between us in later games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Think we will win well, they do not have more strike than us, Grace and Tommy are as good as anyone with an open field, Charnley and Lineham are better starting sets than Grace but Lineham needs a bigger turning circle than the QE2.
    The have a world class stand off who can run and create that is their only advantage. We have a very good stand off who can do the same, though not quite as well.
    Good man! Hope you’re right.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Saints are giving Warrington a 4 point start on Bet365.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Really tough one to call. Unless one team gets absolutely thumped, I don't think it will have any bearing on how it turns out between us in later games.
    In a nutshell spot on. October is a long way away but i would prefer to lose Friday and finish behind them in the league if it means we play them at their place in the play offs.