Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Danny Richardson

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_h View Post
    When they found out Lomax was out, i'd have preferred Coote in the halves, Tommy Mak to full back and Adam Swift on the wing.
    Johnny I agree with you mate , but its a bad sign when we have a couple of injuries in the backs we have no reserve team back up . Good point about Swift if he is fit I would have him on the wing & Tommy Mak at centre in place of Naiqama . Who is definitely no inprovement on Morgan .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Should be a good game this Friday didn't both teams lose to Catalan ??.
    And I think they played on a decent Catalan pitch at the time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Danny will be a different player with Jonny at 6. Danny was excellent for most of last year and he is still a young lad. He needs games and someone like Coote to talk him through. Have patience we could be Leeds or Wigan......they have problems.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Danny will be a different player with Jonny at 6. Danny was excellent for most of last year and he is still a young lad. He needs games and someone like Coote to talk him through. Have patience we could be Leeds or Wigan......they have problems.
    Nice to see someone putting things into perspective. Well said re Richardson, he was playing in a new system with some inexperienced players around him on an awful pitch. He punched above his weight lat year and to expect him to fit straight back in to the now established set up seamlessly is unrealistic. Onwards and upwards!

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Nice to see someone putting things into perspective. Well said re Richardson, he was playing in a new system with some inexperienced players around him on an awful pitch. He punched above his weight lat year and to expect him to fit straight back in to the now established set up seamlessly is unrealistic. Onwards and upwards!
    Agreed, I mentioned in the "dual reg" thread that it would most probably take him a few games to settle in at Leigh but if/when he returned to Saints it would take a few games to settle again
    If Fages is fit for Good Friday I cant see Danny keeping his place.
    One possibility would be too return to last season system with Fages (or Richardson or Roby) on the bench to limit Roby's minutes on the pitch.
    Roby is obviously carrying long term injuries this was backed up by Holbrooks comment that we should look after him the way Wigan have with O'Loughlin.
    Trouble is that leaves a forward short on the bench and restricts opportunity for Aaron Smith but he's got plenty of time ahead of him

He was in a very difficult position wasn't he, having to play alongside a "young kid" half back and getting use to Coote's structured play, he would have had limited training in the week because of his preparations for Leigh. All he could do was to play very conservative because he had no practice combination with those new pivots, you would think this week he would be better prepared.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He was in a very difficult position wasn't he, having to play alongside a "young kid" half back and getting use to Coote's structured play, he would have had limited training in the week because of his preparations for Leigh. All he could do was to play very conservative because he had no practice combination with those new pivots, you would think this week he would be better prepared.
    You would hope he is better prepared. I would have thought that he would be familiar with Cootes play, doesn't he train with Saints 3 X per week?
    As you say having an even less experienced 6 alongside him can't have helped. I really hope the kid does succeed it would solve some problems going forward and would be great to see another 1st team regular from our own development system. Good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    You would hope he is better prepared. I would have thought that he would be familiar with Cootes play, doesn't he train with Saints 3 X per week?
    As you say having an even less experienced 6 alongside him can't have helped. I really hope the kid does succeed it would solve some problems going forward and would be great to see another 1st team regular from our own development system. Good luck to him.
    I,m not sure how it works during the days they train and execute the game plays, i would imagine they split the squad rather than have your first 13 playing the second thirteen. Richardson must have at least one training day with Leigh which won't help matters, the only benefit would be the game time fitness at Leigh.

As for Welsby in his 3 games he has played 3 different positions now in a disruptive sequence of events, that would help his temperament but its not giving him time to settle and contribute to the benefit the team as a whole. It looks as though he has a decent rugby brain but he will know for sure he has less time in super league to execute those skills, Gaskell was a bit similar but went very quiet when the pressure built up, I just get the feeling Welsby might respond differently and maybe Holbrook is seeing something similar.

In The South Stand

Gaskell is playing like a very good stand off now , I think.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I,m not sure how it works during the days they train and execute the game plays, i would imagine they split the squad rather than have your first 13 playing the second thirteen. Richardson must have at least one training day with Leigh which won't help matters, the only benefit would be the game time fitness at Leigh.

As for Welsby in his 3 games he has played 3 different positions now in a disruptive sequence of events, that would help his temperament but its not giving him time to settle and contribute to the benefit the team as a whole. It looks as though he has a decent rugby brain but he will know for sure he has less time in super league to execute those skills, Gaskell was a bit similar but went very quiet when the pressure built up, I just get the feeling Welsby might respond differently and maybe Holbrook is seeing something similar.
    Time will tell for both of them, one thing those disruptions bring is the ability to see where we really are as a squad. Right now it's not looking as strong as I thought we were. Though we do still have Douglas and Swift we can call on and have not used so far. I don't know much about Welsby but like you say he has had to adapt quite a bit, but if he is going to make it he will need that ability. Like all the other young lads I would like to see him make it. Just on Gaskell, it may be a case of him finding his level at Hudds or of him maturing, but he has had a couple of decent games this year and last.

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Johnny I agree with you mate , but its a bad sign when we have a couple of injuries in the backs we have no reserve team back up . Good point about Swift if he is fit I would have him on the wing & Tommy Mak at centre in place of Naiqama . Who is definitely no inprovement on Morgan .
    No, Makinson is not and never will be a centre as long as he has a hole between his cheeks. I do agree that naquima is no better than Morgan

He was never excellent

Learning All The Songs

It’s a myth that Richardson was good last season, he had a really poor season and I still maintain that he was the reason we lost the semi against Warrington. For me Fages isn’t the best scrum half ever yet he’s still miles better than Richardson and that’s only because he can actually do the basics. Last season Richardson couldn’t tackle, hardly ever took it to the line looking to get rid of it quickly because he’s scared of contact, his kicking out of hand was poor and his charging around like an idiot on last tackle plays became ridiculous and costly. All of that might come across harsh and it probably is but that’s the way I see it. People who rate Richardson rate him because he was a protest vote over Matty Smith, he’s young and he took the headline moments despite playing poorly for most of the games. Not sure Fages is long term answer at 7 because he can’t kick out of hand but he’s better than Richardson for certain.

Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    He was never excellent
    He was in a number of games last season.

He was in a number of games last season.
    Putting in a half decent performance in a few games is not excellent. I wanted Danny in the side because no one could have been worse than Smith. He (Danny) looked like a good prospect but a lot of improvement was needed, sadly that did not materialise and his game went intio regression as he was constantly making the same mistakes.
    As other posters have stated the championship could well be his level. Hope he proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Putting in a half decent performance in a few games is not excellent. I wanted Danny in the side because no one could have been worse than Smith. He (Danny) looked like a good prospect but a lot of improvement was needed, sadly that did not materialise and his game went intio regression as he was constantly making the same mistakes.
    As other posters have stated the championship could well be his level. Hope he proves me wrong.
    We will just have to disagree.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    It’s a myth that Richardson was good last season, he had a really poor season and I still maintain that he was the reason we lost the semi against Warrington. For me Fages isn’t the best scrum half ever yet he’s still miles better than Richardson and that’s only because he can actually do the basics. Last season Richardson couldn’t tackle, hardly ever took it to the line looking to get rid of it quickly because he’s scared of contact, his kicking out of hand was poor and his charging around like an idiot on last tackle plays became ridiculous and costly. All of that might come across harsh and it probably is but that’s the way I see it. People who rate Richardson rate him because he was a protest vote over Matty Smith, he’s young and he took the headline moments despite playing poorly for most of the games. Not sure Fages is long term answer at 7 because he can’t kick out of hand but he’s better than Richardson for certain.
    And the prize for most predictable post goes to...

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    And the prize for most predictable post goes to...
    His paranoia is a concern, he will "blow a gasket" if Danny plays well.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Very harsh post and I don’t agree with all of it, but not too dissimilar to those who always say he played well or make up excuses for him whilst criticising other players no matter what. I still think there is a balance to be had.

Jonny Lomax being back in the team will benefit him massively, he was badly missed last week. Also has the potential to be a really close game this week and I’d back him over anyone else on the field if it comes down to golden point, a drop goal or a dead ball to win the game. I thought he looked sharp at times when he carried the ball to the line last week so if he can add a little bit of quality on the back of that, that would be good. Hopefully he’ll bring a bit more organisation and control than last week though.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 10th April 2019 at 19:54.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Very harsh post and I don’t agree with all of it, but not too dissimilar to those who always say he played well or make up excuses for him whilst criticising other players no matter what. I still think there is a balance to be had.

Jonny Lomax being back in the team will benefit him massively, he was badly missed last week. Also has the potential to be a really close game this week and I’d back him over anyone else on the field if it comes down to golden point, a drop goal or a dead ball to win the game. I thought he looked sharp when he carried the ball to the line last week so if he can add a little bit of quality on the back of that, that would be good. Hopefully he’ll bring a bit more organisation and control than last week though.
    Last week was like a plowed field, there had been heavy rain for about 4 days. I don't know if Richardson will make the grade, but last week was not one for HB's running around trying to create. Apart from being the only HB on the field with any experience, he had the conditions to contend with. I hope is tackling and last kick improve this week as we can't blame the conditions for everything.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Last week was like a plowed field, there had been heavy rain for about 4 days. I don't know if Richardson will make the grade, but last week was not one for HB's running around trying to create. Apart from being the only HB on the field with any experience, he had the conditions to contend with. I hope is tackling and last kick improve this week as we can't blame the conditions for everything.
    Yeah that’s it mate. He’ll have Ben Currie down that side to deal with this week, Ratchford and Austin will play out there as well at times so he’s got a job on.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Richardson needs to step outside the bubble of both extremes of the analysis of him, the heavy bagging and over-hype.

Individually
    He needs to show a kicking game beyond the speculative wilkin bombs.

He also needs to take the ball nearer to the line and give some decent service to Kevin naiqama.

Collectively
    He and the whole right edge need to pull their fingers out.
    He won't suddenly defend like Fages in 7 days but I just to need see effort within a unit.

This is his chance to shine. Wanting contract upgrades is fine but need to see something more.
    I don't buy all the lomax needs to hold his hand stuff.

Friday will go along way to determining his short and long term future.

Crying out loud, give the lad a break.

It was his first game back in the side on Saturday and it seems that everyone had him set up to fail and had that bias from the start, whether he performed well or not.

As for his kicking game - I think he put 1 bad kick in last week and that was when we were camped in their half and the kick was pretty flat and went in to their arms under neath the sticks. Are people forgetting the kick he put in for Peyroux's try?

He was playing alongside a lad who he has never played with before, and was combining with Coote for the first time.

I actually watched his defensive game very closely and he didn't do an awful lot wrong in defence, and in all fairness, don't think he missed a tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Again, everybody is entitled to their opinion. I just can't see the accuracy in your assessment of last year. Justin Holbrook picks an underperforming player that doesn't have the basic skills of a scrum half to play every minute of every game?
    Perhaps Justin was protesting against Matty Smith too?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by nighthorse View Post
    Again, everybody is entitled to their opinion. I just can't see the accuracy in your assessment of last year. Justin Holbrook picks an underperforming player that doesn't have the basic skills of a scrum half to play every minute of every game?
    Perhaps Justin was protesting against Matty Smith too?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Holbrook has dropped Richardson though and he finds himself playing for Leigh apart from when Fages is unavailable. He wasn’t going to change a key position in a team that kept on winning half way through a season.