Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of Contract Players

Banned

Cas asked about him last year Saints told them no chance

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Cas asked about him last year Saints told them no chance
    They can't do that now though. Past may 1st in his final year, saints can't do anything but offer him a contract themselves

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Big 2nd rower we need
    I would be happy with McMeeken; thought he was their most dangerous player at times last night.

Learning All The Songs

I know that Saints have definitely made Fage an offer and said he can have time to consider it and if he wishes he can talk to other clubs whilst Saints offer will remain on the table.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    Yesterday Cas fans telling me they've signed Fages. At the minimum you have got to imagine they've put an offer to him. He was saying he was open to offers.
    Cas would be a strange move for Fages to make.

From a career point of view I can understand him wanting to try the NRL but or even a move back to France with Catalan or even Toulouse if he thinks they'll come up soon.

Maybe Toronto have got their sights on him, I can understand him wanting to try his hand there.

I know it's a short career and players have to make as much as they can but unless Cas are prepared to make him there marquee player it doesn't really make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Cas would be a strange move for Fages to make.

From a career point of view I can understand him wanting to try the NRL but or even a move back to France with Catalan or even Toulouse if he thinks they'll come up soon.

Maybe Toronto have got their sights on him, I can understand him wanting to try his hand there.

I know it's a short career and players have to make as much as they can but unless Cas are prepared to make him there marquee player it doesn't really make sense
    Plus you’d think they would have Gale and Truman as their half backs for next season - unless Powell wants him as back up for McShane? Must admit it seems a strange move if the rumour is correct. IMO Cas need outside backs and some more mobile forwards.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Plus you’d think they would have Gale and Truman as their half backs for next season - unless Powell wants him as back up for McShane? Must admit it seems a strange move if the rumour is correct. IMO Cas need outside backs and some more mobile forwards.
    The rumour is Gale to Leeds so if that is true then there would be a spot. Personally i hope Theo signs for us again

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Big 2nd rower we need
    Saints have been speaking to Mellor at Huddersfield he's only young but very tall was my MOM v's Hull at weekend

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Saints have been speaking to Mellor at Huddersfield he's only young but very tall was my MOM v's Hull at weekend
    I would hope we could develop and give more game time to Batchelor, for me Mellor is just not quite good enough doesn't make much yardage and his defence is weak at times, we've also got Peyroux and Paulo.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Yeah I don't anticipate there will be much movement at Saints next season unless players leave who need replacing (e.g. Fages).
    I think even if Fages leaves we still have Richardson and Lewis Dodd. I am not sure we need another signing.

Taia as well has already had his replacement signed in Bentley/Bachelor.

Any more than that and then we will need to have a look.

Jordan Abdul looks a good player and could be a true Wilkin replacement as imo Paulo does not see to be filling that role at the moment.

I know I have said it before but Brad Singleton is a good player who for some reason is rumoured to be not wanted at Leeds. He would be a good replacement for LMS for 2021.

Otherwise maybe we need a player from the championship?
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I think even if Fages leaves we still have Richardson and Lewis Dodd. I am not sure we need another signing.

Any more than that and then we will need to have a look.

Jordan Abdul looks a good player and could be a true Wilkin replacement as imo Paulo does not see to be filling that role at the moment.

I know I have said it before but Brad Singleton is a good player who for some reason is rumoured to be not wanted at Leeds. He would be a good replacement for LMS for 2021.

Otherwise maybe we need a player from the championship?
    I know it’s all about opinion but in what way is Paulo not filling in the Wilkin role? I thought he was really strong yesterday - sometimes with his handling (watch the run up to the Naqama try) and very often with the work he puts into tackling. And don’t forget he played big minutes yesterday often taking the ball up almost as a prop. Paulo does get some stick and someone sitting behind me kept calling him lazy which he clearly is not. His problem is that he is from the NRL and we expect them all to be like Barba or Coote. If Paulo was a local lad or from Cumbria I’m pretty sure we’d think he was a good player.

Got A Season Ticket Voll au Vent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    I would be happy with McMeeken; thought he was their most dangerous player at times last night.
    Not for me I'm afraid. I thought Lomax had him in his pocket all game and put in a couple of beautiful hits on him. Their pack was absolutely mulled by ours. Millington was literally brought to his knees by Knowles and Watts was totally ineffectual.

In The South Stand

Odd how people can have such wildly differing views on players. Zeb Taia for me is a great player. Big, tough, durable, good hands. Still has decent pace for his age as well. If we're planning to replace him as a starter with Bentley or Batchelor I think we're going to be significantly weaker. I've seen nothing from either of them to suggest they'll make it as Super League players, let alone replace a player like Taia in the competitions best side. Note, I'm not criticising them either, they need time before we make decisions on them, not writing them off at this point.

On the halfbacks I think the Fages to Castleford rumour is just strange all round. Why would Cas let Luke Gale go to Leeds? Why would he turn down a deal with us for Castleford if he's also got offers from the NRL? It makes little sense and I suspect the NRL offers and the Cas interest are both his agent trying to get a slightly improved offer from Saints.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Odd how people can have such wildly differing views on players. Zeb Taia for me is a great player. Big, tough, durable, good hands. Still has decent pace for his age as well. If we're planning to replace him as a starter with Bentley or Batchelor I think we're going to be significantly weaker. I've seen nothing from either of them to suggest they'll make it as Super League players, let alone replace a player like Taia in the competitions best side. Note, I'm not criticising them either, they need time before we make decisions on them, not writing them off at this point.

On the halfbacks I think the Fages to Castleford rumour is just strange all round. Why would Cas let Luke Gale go to Leeds? Why would he turn down a deal with us for Castleford if he's also got offers from the NRL? It makes little sense and I suspect the NRL offers and the Cas interest are both his agent trying to get a slightly improved offer from Saints.
    He's almost 31 years of age, and Cas will know more about his injury situation than anyone else.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

You play a dangerous game when you don't replace experienced and crucial players and you expect youngsters to step in and do the same job.

I remember in 2008 when we allowed key players to leave and replaced them with young players and our period of dominance ended. We still made a few finals but our league position started to drop and trophies were gone until 2014.

Bentley, Batchelor and Richardson to some extent are potentially good players but are still potential at the moment. Giving then game time over the next couple of years alongside experienced players will help their development but throwing them in and expecting them to play to the levels of Peyroux, Taia, Knowles etc is unrealistic IMO.

Look at Wigan now, they've let alot of experience go in the last 2 or 3 seasons and they're in a right mess now.

To lose Taia and Fages and not replace them would weaken us and to not replace either would be a mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    You play a dangerous game when you don't replace experienced and crucial players and you expect youngsters to step in and do the same job.

I remember in 2008 when we allowed key players to leave and replaced them with young players and our period of dominance ended. We still made a few finals but our league position started to drop and trophies were gone until 2014.

Bentley, Batchelor and Richardson to some extent are potentially good players but are still potential at the moment. Giving then game time over the next couple of years alongside experienced players will help their development but throwing them in and expecting them to play to the levels of Peyroux, Taia, Knowles etc is unrealistic IMO.

Look at Wigan now, they've let alot of experience go in the last 2 or 3 seasons and they're in a right mess now.

To lose Taia and Fages and not replace them would weaken us and to not replace either would be a mistake.
    IF Fages does go then you would hope we would be in for Hastings.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    IF Fages does go then you would hope we would be in for Hastings.
    Can't help but think he'll need to be a marquee signing if someone is to keep him in Super League. Wigan be crazy not to throw the kitchen sink at him once their halves go at the end of this year.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Can't help but think he'll need to be a marquee signing if someone is to keep him in Super League. Wigan be crazy not to throw the kitchen sink at him once their halves go at the end of this year.
    While he is a good player he is a long way short of being a marquee player.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I know it’s all about opinion but in what way is Paulo not filling in the Wilkin role? I thought he was really strong yesterday - sometimes with his handling (watch the run up to the Naqama try) and very often with the work he puts into tackling. And don’t forget he played big minutes yesterday often taking the ball up almost as a prop. Paulo does get some stick and someone sitting behind me kept calling him lazy which he clearly is not. His problem is that he is from the NRL and we expect them all to be like Barba or Coote. If Paulo was a local lad or from Cumbria I’m pretty sure we’d think he was a good player.
    You have hit the nail on the head , when you sign a player from NRL you expect them to be a damn sight better than Paulo has been so far . But I said the same about Naiqama & he is turning out to be ok . So time will tell .

Got A Season Ticket

It would not surprise me if Hardaker came back to cas next season with gale leaving and Powell wants fages and trueman as next year's half backs

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    It would not surprise me if Hardaker came back to cas next season.......
    I’d be amazed.

The guy single-handedly ruined your best (and possibly only?) chance of winning a grand final with his extra-curricular activities.

I could live with that if he’d served his ban and come back with contrition and loyalty.....

You were head and shoulders over everybody that 2017 season but you stood still whilst others improved and lost your 2 best players in Gale and Hardaker. If you’re not careful as a club you’ll slip into that mid table of Hull, Wakefield and Huddersfield.

I can’t imagine Fages being attracted to playing for Cas either, maybe last year after your 2017 season he could have been tempted but not now, all my opinion of course.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I’d be amazed.

The guy single-handedly ruined your best (and possibly only?) chance of winning a grand final with his extra-curricular activities.

I could live with that if he’d served his ban and come back with contrition and loyalty.....

Spot on.

You were head and shoulders over everybody that 2017 season but you stood still whilst others improved and lost your 2 best players in Gale and Hardaker. If you’re not careful as a club you’ll slip into that mid table of Hull, Wakefield and Huddersfield.

I can’t imagine Fages being attracted to playing for Cas either, maybe last year after your 2017 season he could have been tempted but not now, all my opinion of course.

Spot on.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I’d be amazed.

I think a lot of our supporters me included would agree with you and wouldn't touch him with a barge pole but Wells and Powell were doing all they could to re-sign him before he went to Wigan that's why it wouldn't surprise me I heard he wasn't happy at Wigan either but I'm just guessing what may happen

Got A Season Ticket

Not sure on the fages one seems strange to me he would want to move from saints to cas unless we've offered him a lot more money

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    Not sure on the fages one seems strange to me he would want to move from saints to cas unless we've offered him a lot more money
    That would be the only reason,it would have to be a substantially higher offer than we made for any of our main squad to move to Cas. No disrespect to Cas but to move from our stadium and our facilities to theirs would be a massive step down in quality.