Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of Contract Players

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Our priority might be a prop if Douglas and Amor are not with us next year and we still have to nail down Thompson for a few years as well.

Would we not have enough in the squad already? Douglas hasn't played and amor hardly features

Not that I would be against any good additions

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    His family run a very successful transport business , I really cant see him walking away from that.
    They actually sponsor saints as well!!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Would we not have enough in the squad already? Douglas hasn't played and amor hardly features

Not that I would be against any good additions
    Amor has played 13 games so far this season out of the 16 games we have played so far. We could do with another prop as it's a vital position and usually one or two get injured at some point during a season,although i'm not sure who is available. At the very least it would provide competition for places.

I honestly don’t see prop as anywhere near a priority unless something dramatic happens. We’ve got Walmsley, Thomson, Lees, Ashworth and Amor to start with plus Douglas at Leigh. You could even throw LMS into that mix. That’s 7 props for 3 or 4 places in the starting line up.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I honestly don’t see prop as anywhere near a priority unless something dramatic happens. We’ve got Walmsley, Thomson, Lees, Ashworth and Amor to start with plus Douglas at Leigh. You could even throw LMS into that mix. That’s 7 props for 3 or 4 places in the starting line up.
    Big 2nd rower we need

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    They actually sponsor saints as well!!
    They don't own it (Mark Thompson Transport Ltd) as they sold it 2 years ago.
    No figures were disclosed but based on the turnover and profits I would suspect they got quite a few £million so Luke and his family should be set up for life (and good luck to them I say). Hopefully this means that as long as Saints don't try to be cheap skates the money should not be the main issue.
    The only question then would be if Luke wants the challenge / lifestyle change that Australia could offer and this is obviously a very personal decision, but it should be slightly easier if it is not driven by the need to make money to set him up for the rest of his life.

Edit - just noticed part of the message I was replying to was missing where it said the family ran a successful transport company - my reply may make a bit more sense now!

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Douglas, Amor and even LMS are getting to the wrong end of their careers.
    In the matchday 17 we need 2 starting props and 2 on the bench.
    If Amor and Douglas are going at the end of the season an incoming prop would be useful but ideally we need someone at the same level as Thompson and Walmsley.

Lees, Ashworth, LMS ?

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    If Amor and Douglas are going at the end of the season an incoming prop would be useful but ideally we need someone at the same level as Thompson and Walmsley.
    They are probably the two best props in the league - I’m not sure it’s realistic to get a third at the same level, especially as there are two big clubs with sub-par front rows who will no doubt be throwing money at the best available props.

Banned

To replace who?

Besides, he's one of those bible-bashing religious fundamentalists, and we don't want another cretinous Israel Folau episode.
    Last edited by Webbo Again; 23rd May 2019 at 20:33.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    To replace who?

Besides, he's one of those bible-bashing religious fundamentalist, Andrew don't want another cretinous Israel Folau episode.
    His principles don t prevent him from stealing a living. DWZ is apparently on 800k per year!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Our priority might be a prop if Douglas and Amor are not with us next year and we still have to nail down Thompson for a few years as well.
    I would prefer to see this rather than bring in someone new.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    That’s just unrealistic. Gone are the days of having the likes of Vinnie Anderson, Nick Fozzard not even in the 17.

That said you won’t come across a better 3rd choice prop than Matty Lees or 4th choice prop in LMS in super league and we don’t need better than those, salary would be better spent elsewhere. Such as securing a strong SR to replace Taia in the long term. Matty Lees is playing better than Thompson was at the same age and I’m pretty confident he will become the best prop in super league at some stage in his career. Ashworth is also still in development and could still turn out to be a very good prop in a year or two.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    That’s just unrealistic. Gone are the days of having the likes of Vinnie Anderson, Nick Fozzard not even in the 17.

That said you won’t come across a better 3rd choice prop than Matty Lees or 4th choice prop in LMS in super league and we don’t need better than those, salary would be better spent elsewhere. Such as securing a strong SR to replace Taia in the long term. Matty Lees is playing better than Thompson was at the same age and I’m pretty confident he will become the best prop in super league at some stage in his career. Ashworth is also still in development and could still turn out to be a very good prop in a year or two.
    We probably have to be optimistic that Matty Lees gets better which would save the situation of losing Douglas and Amor, I can only see LMS doing another season he's 34 next season and similar to Roby he's picking up knocks now meaning he will be missing games. For Ashworth will he transition into a prop I,m not sure he still looks like a big second row similar to the way we played Joe Greenwood. We haven't really got anybody coming through the academy at the prop position at the moment, I should imagine towards the end of the season we need to assess the pack capabilities.

In The West Stand

Heard we’re in talks with Seb Ikahihifo from Huddersfield - anything in it?

I know he has a contract but it was rumoured Hudds were trying to get rid but nothing ever came from it?

We probably have to be optimistic that Matty Lees gets better which would save the situation of losing Douglas and Amor, I can only see LMS doing another season he's 34 next season and similar to Roby he's picking up knocks now meaning he will be missing games. For Ashworth will he transition into a prop I,m not sure he still looks like a big second row similar to the way we played Joe Greenwood. We haven't really got anybody coming through the academy at the prop position at the moment, I should imagine towards the end of the season we need to assess the pack capabilities.
    I’ve thought all along that Ashworth looks a second rower. Holbrook said the other week that they are playing him at prop for the time being as it’s a more simple position in which to bring him through, so maybe at some point he’ll go out wide again

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I’ve thought all along that Ashworth looks a second rower. Holbrook said the other week that they are playing him at prop for the time being as it’s a more simple position in which to bring him through, so maybe at some point he’ll go out wide again
    Perfect build for a SR.

It is hard to see where we have any weakness at the moment. If we can get a few fringe players off contract and bring in some more juniors then we can offer Thompson an improved deal and keep some cap space spare for an emergency.

Bachelor, Welsby, Simms, Bentley stepping up will freshen up the squad.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    It is hard to see where we have any weakness at the moment. If we can get a few fringe players off contract and bring in some more juniors then we can offer Thompson an improved deal and keep some cap space spare for an emergency.

Bachelor, Welsby, Simms, Bentley stepping up will freshen up the squad.
    Yeah I don't anticipate there will be much movement at Saints next season unless players leave who need replacing (e.g. Fages).
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The West Stand

Papers are obviously trying to make a story out of Holbrooks contract, but again he doesn’t react.

Also mentions the Walmsley and Thompson rumours, suggests Rush is trying to get Thompson signed up.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Papers are obviously trying to make a story out of Holbrooks contract, but again he doesn’t react.

Also mentions the Walmsley and Thompson rumours, suggests Rush is trying to get Thompson signed up.
    According to Terry O’Connor Theo is going to Cas next season!

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    According to Terry O’Connor Theo is going to Cas next season!
    No he said that’s what the rumour is on the Cas terraces

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    No he said that’s what the rumour is on the Cas terraces
    And he just got it from the Casforum! I think we saw a different Fages today which hopefully means he’s signed a contract one way or another.

Fages, Taia and Thompson to sign new contracts, Amor and Ikahihifo swap deal, Swift to Hull, Douglas to retire - jobs a goodun

Learning All The Songs

Yesterday Cas fans telling me they've signed Fages. At the minimum you have got to imagine they've put an offer to him. He was saying he was open to offers.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    Yesterday Cas fans telling me they've signed Fages. At the minimum you have got to imagine they've put an offer to him. He was saying he was open to offers.
    Was it the last or the season before they said they had signed Walmsley. They are also saying on there forum there is a chance of getting Zak Hardaker back.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 27th May 2019 at 10:20.