Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of Contract Players

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Josh Jones has signed for Hull FC.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    Heard a rumour that leeds were going to sign luke gale and Powell was after fages to take his place can't see it myself but heard that over the week-end
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Leeds take a punt at signing Richardson. They are desperate for a scrum half and we have one that is looking for game time....
    I can also see Wigan going for Truman. Not sure on Fages to Cas though!!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Nothing in the Walmsley or Thompson rumours for me. Even so would command a decent fee having both signed up. Happy for Fages to go on the basis we get Hastings. I like fages, I really do but theres just something missing for me. Just my opinion. In reality I think Hastings will end up at Wigan.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by nighthorse View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Leeds take a punt at signing Richardson. They are desperate for a scrum half and we have one that is looking for game time....
    I can also see Wigan going for Truman. Not sure on Fages to Cas though!!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    No mate dont think fages will come to cas even tho Powell as sang his praises a few times
    Westerman to Leeds I've heard

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Josh Jones has signed for Hull FC.
    A little shocked by this, in all honesty. If Wigan and us were interested, as rumours reported, I’m shocked that he’s chosen to uproot to Hull, especially being a Lancashire lad. Money talks, perhaps.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    A little shocked by this, in all honesty. If Wigan and us were interested, as rumours reported, I’m shocked that he’s chosen to uproot to Hull, especially being a Lancashire lad. Money talks, perhaps.
    Holbrook denied we were in for Jones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

I don’t honestly think Josh Jones is up to our standard any more.
    Not dynamic enough

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I don’t honestly think Josh Jones is up to our standard any more.
    Not dynamic enough
    Consistently has good stats, but not the player to break a game - for all the question marks over whether Taia can go another year, he’s the only player in the league to have mastered the inside catch pass that gave Coote his hat-trick and kickstarted the comeback.

Problem is there aren’t many on the ooc list who would. With Swift, Fages, Taias reduced offer - there’s got to be someone liked up?

Got A Season Ticket

Not about players, but I heard tonight that HKR are in for James Ford to replace Tim Sheens next season.

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Nothing in the Walmsley or Thompson rumours for me. Even so would command a decent fee having both signed up. Happy for Fages to go on the basis we get Hastings. I like fages, I really do but theres just something missing for me. Just my opinion. In reality I think Hastings will end up at Wigan.

Thompson is out of contract this year & still to agree a new deal.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    Thompson is out of contract this year & still to agree a new deal.
    Nope runs until the end of 2020 - https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...g-new-contract

And if we take the report that the NRL are after Walmsley and Thompson, it said he had signed a new contract as well

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Nope runs until the end of 2020 - https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...g-new-contract

And if we take the report that the NRL are after Walmsley and Thompson, it said he had signed a new contract as well
    Very much doubt big Al will leave , but Thommo could fancy the challenge of NRL & also living down under .

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Very much doubt big Al will leave , but Thommo could fancy the challenge of NRL & also living down under .
    I wouldn't worry too much about Thompson. I think he'll stay

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about Thompson. I think he'll stay
    I reckon with him being very close to his family he will stay put, at the same time concentrating on cementing his international career. With a bit of wishful thinking he might consider the best of both worlds a contract extension at Saints then look at the NRL when he is 27 something similar to Jammer.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 21st May 2019 at 08:18.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

To be honest you wouldn't take offence if any of the lads wanted to go and try the NRL with the financial security it offers.
    Learned comment from The Don

At a forum last year, when asked about the possible attraction of the NRL, Thompson said that money was of no great interest as his family were well off. He also said that when he was at school, which fell within the Wigan catchment area, he had given his grandmother’s Clock Face address as his home so that he was eligible for the St Helens area. On the basis of these two snippets, I’d conclude that his attachment to Saints is extremely strong and, assuming Saints don’t try to be cheapskate because of his loyalties, the only reason that he would go to Australia is to allow himself to be judged against the best if he felt he couldn’t do that via the international game (and surely his selection in the World team last year has allowed him to achieve that). Hopefully, my conclusions are valid and not just wishful thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    At a forum last year, when asked about the possible attraction of the NRL, Thompson said that money was of no great interest as his family were well off. He also said that when he was at school, which fell within the Wigan catchment area, he had given his grandmother’s Clock Face address as his home so that he was eligible for the St Helens area. On the basis of these two snippets, I’d conclude that his attachment to Saints is extremely strong and, assuming Saints don’t try to be cheapskate because of his loyalties, the only reason that he would go to Australia is to allow himself to be judged against the best if he felt he couldn’t do that via the international game (and surely his selection in the World team last year has allowed him to achieve that). Hopefully, my conclusions are valid and not just wishful thinking!
    Definitely valid. Completely correct

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I reckon with him being very close to his family he will stay put, at the same time concentrating on cementing his international career. With a bit of wishful thinking he might consider the best of both worlds a contract extension at Saints then look at the NRL when he is 27 something similar to Jammer.
    To be honest at the moment one of the best ways to cement your GB/England place is to play NRL.

I don't really worry about whether players leave or not. Realistically the club can't match any potential offers so if a player wants to go, good luck to them. It's sad that we lose some of our best, but as a club we have lost very few real "irreplaceables" to NRL. In fact I can only think of Graham in recent memory.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

The ball is with saints on this one. He has offers on the table from Australia but hes just waiting for a good offer from saints. If saints offer an improved contract, hes staying. Simple as that. Even though the NRL contracts would be more money. As mentioned earlier, money's not an issue.

RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

His family run a very successful transport business , I really cant see him walking away from that.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    To be honest at the moment one of the best ways to cement your GB/England place is to play NRL.

I don't really worry about whether players leave or not. Realistically the club can't match any potential offers so if a player wants to go, good luck to them. It's sad that we lose some of our best, but as a club we have lost very few real "irreplaceables" to NRL. In fact I can only think of Graham in recent memory.
    Think that's true under Bennett, however that could spin on it's head if a current Super League coach or British based coach took over.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Think that's true under Bennett, however that could spin on it's head if a current Super League coach or British based coach took over.
    I'm not sure it would as they are playing at a higher level each week which is why they stand out

In The West Stand

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/waten...g-clubs-20618/

A) should we be interested

the below quote;

All clubs in Super League are allowed 2 marquee signings , which means their salary cap value is limited to £150,00 (£75,000 if club trained ) . Clubs are expected to agree to raise this to 3 or 4 for the 2020 season .
    Are we waiting for this to be resolved before we see any more contract movement? Makinson, Thompson, Roby for 75k each gives us a lot of room you imagine!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

the below quote;

Are we waiting for this to be resolved before we see any more contract movement? Makinson, Thompson, Roby for 75k each gives us a lot of room you imagine!
    I wouldn't sign him. He's been terrible for the Panthers. if I was a supporter I would be asking how he can put in big performances for the kiwis but not for his club

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

the below quote;

Our priority might be a prop if Douglas and Amor are not with us next year and we still have to nail down Thompson for a few years as well.