Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Out of Contract Players

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It pads out what we already know, but doesn't clarify anything about a pay-off.
    You can bet he hasn't gone without one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    A couple of years ago Leeds would never have considered releasing Watkins but injuries have meant he is a shadow of his former self.
    Absolutely; I don't disagree.

But if you had a decent contract in place for the following 2 seasons, would you walk away without any recompense just because the club fancied bringing some different players in? No, me neither. As we've established, any pay-off would need to be treated as a payment to that player for salary cap purposes, so it would defeat the object. Unless Leeds are downright cheating by not putting a pay-off through the books.

It's annoying, as having an injury-ravaged Watkins on their books for 2 years on a chunky contract would have limited their ability to rebuild. They're conning the system.

Upside
    Non Members

The only advantage might be to pay him up this year, that comes of this years cap and opens up space for next year

In The South Stand

But if you had a decent contract in place for the following 2 seasons, would you walk away without any recompense just because the club fancied bringing some different players in? No, me neither. As we've established, any pay-off would need to be treated as a payment to that player for salary cap purposes, so it would defeat the object. Unless Leeds are downright cheating by not putting a pay-off through the books.

It's annoying, as having an injury-ravaged Watkins on their books for 2 years on a chunky contract would have limited their ability to rebuild. They're conning the system.
    Look up the rules on contract terminations. It all has to be approved and there are provisions for any payments that won't count on the cap. Without knowing the ins and outs of it all then its nothing but speculation. He might be happy to cut all ties with Leeds at the end of the season without and payoff as there will probably be a signing bonus from any new contract he gets we just don't know.

Starting A Programme Collection

It may be significant that he's had mental health issues and is putting his mental health over Money which unfortunately suits Leeds and helps them out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

It makes you think if Saints would have done things differently to the Leeds Welfare Model, we seem to recognise the players talent and determination to recover first, for example Gary Wheeler and Johnny Lomax (excluding mental issues) would have been long gone.

Got A Season Ticket

I imagine once he was told they wanted to reduce his contract his agent put the feelers out and with a few irons in the fire made the decision to leave. He will only be giving up the money if he sits on the sofa for two years which he won’t be doing with his talent even if it has diminished slightly due to injury.

Upside
    Non Members

Still a god player and will be a good appointment for many teams

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Wigan already laying down their mark for next year signing Salford back up Jake Bibby, Castleford bench/back up Mitch Clark as well as re-signing Partington, Hankinson and Clubb!

Is Radlinski more deluded than Cunningham was? He’s described Bibby as ‘a high-level Super League performer and competitor‘.

Then describe Clark as ‘one of Super League’s most destructive forwards and in a very good Castleford side, he has built the reputation as one of the league’s fiercest middles’.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Wigan already laying down their mark for next year signing Salford back up Jake Bibby, Castleford bench/back up Mitch Clark as well as re-signing Partington, Hankinson and Clubb!

Is Radlinski more deluded than Cunningham was? He’s described Bibby as ‘a high-level Super League performer and competitor‘.

Then describe Clark as ‘one of Super League’s most destructive forwards and in a very good Castleford side, he has built the reputation as one of the league’s fiercest middles’.
    He’s put more spin on that, than a Shane Warne leg break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Looks like they're building a mid-table team for next year

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Looks like they're building a mid-table team for next year
    If that

Got A Season Ticket

Bibby I think was shown wearing a Wigan shirt even tho he has half a season to go at Salford in mid week ,Mitch Clark did the same on Wednesday wearing a Wigan top and scarf he was booed by some when he came on to the field last night just made me wonder if it wouldn't be better announcing these things at the end of the season or closer to the end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    Bibby I think was shown wearing a Wigan shirt even tho he has half a season to go at Salford in mid week ,Mitch Clark did the same on Wednesday wearing a Wigan top and scarf he was booed by some when he came on to the field last night just made me wonder if it wouldn't be better announcing these things at the end of the season or closer to the end of the season
    Was mentioned before the TV game last night with P Clarke, to his credit, very critical of this - and he was supported in his views by Tom Johnstone. Swift was also criticised on this forum for being photographed wearing a Hull FC shirt.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Was mentioned before the TV game last night with P Clarke, to his credit, very critical of this - and he was supported in his views by Tom Johnstone. Swift was also criticised on this forum for being photographed wearing a Hull FC shirt.
    I can understand it from both sides - and personally don't take much offence. For me the best compromise would be that it's okay to announce signings during the season for the next season - but keep promotional/commercial stuff (like having photos with wearing the shirt of a new club) until the current season is over.

In The South Stand

Watkins to gold coast from July 1st.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Think it may well start a bit of a merrygoround of signings before the deadline

He can’t exactly say “we’ve signed some puddings”
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

He best enjoy it while he can as I highly doubt he'll do anything significant on the pitch. Hes lost his explosive ability off the mark & is slower

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    If he'd have said 'pea wet' he might have got away with it

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    They still have plenty of cap space left to make a move for Jack Owens m

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

I'm really surprised at this based on his form this season. I haven't seen any conformation on the length of the contract, but it wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be just a short stint down under, similarly to the Zak Hardaker Penrith situation. It's been quite sad to watch him this year, being chased down comfortably and being taken on the outside as he has been on occasions. He just doesn't seem to be able to run (which was his biggest asset) like he once did, which is a real shame because he was our best centre for several years.

Regards,

STEVO

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Good luck to the lad , hope he fully recovers from a terrible injury , he was one of the few Leeds players I would give credit to always gave 100% always played the game honestly , a true professional.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Sarginson to Salford apparently

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Good luck to the lad , hope he fully recovers from a terrible injury , he was one of the few Leeds players I would give credit to always gave 100% always played the game honestly , a true professional.
    Yeah I really liked Watkins, for a while he was the best centre we have produced for a few years