Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of Contract Players

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Watkins is a strange one, before the injury he was superb, but like Leeds he has just failed to rediscover any form. Struggling player in a struggling team.

I wonder will he be looking for a complete change? Toronto perhaps, if they come up?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    It won't affect the cap as it's a mutual termination of contract so after the end of the season his is no longer a Leeds player and the rest of his contract won't be paid. Also if as you say a team signs a player for 10 years they couldn't just pay them up after a couple of years,there would have to either be a mutual termination or a breach of contract by the player otherwise they would still be on the cap.

Argh I see

Must be worth him walking away then? If he is on a big contract why would he leave all that money

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Warrington to replace Atkins maybe?
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Argh I see

Must be worth him walking away then? If he is on a big contract why would he leave all that money
    I think he was promised an improved contract but Leeds don't think he is worth it and on current form they are right. Best for both parties to split. Watkins gets to prove Leeds wrong ( potentially ) and Leeds get money to play with.

In The West Stand

In:
    Out: Morgan, Douglas, Swift
    Re-signed: Makinson, Fages, Lomax, Walmsley, Roby, Taia, LMS

It’s quite a list...

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    In:
    Out: Morgan, Douglas, Swift
    Re-signed: Makinson, Fages, Lomax, Walmsley, Roby, Taia, LMS

It’s quite a list...
    And Thompson

Default Out of Contract Players

It won't affect the cap as it's a mutual termination of contract so after the end of the season his is no longer a Leeds player and the rest of his contract won't be paid. Also if as you say a team signs a player for 10 years they couldn't just pay them up after a couple of years,there would have to either be a mutual termination or a breach of contract by the player otherwise they would still be on the cap.
    Upside raises a good point though - what if a club signs a player on a five year contract but the club and player secretly agree that a mutual termination with severance payment will take place after two years? That’s effectively a way of paying a player more than you have declared.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Upside raises a good point though - what if a club signs a player on a five year contract but the club and player secretly agree that a mutual termination with severance payment will take place after two years, that’s effectively a way of paying a player more than you have declared.
    Severance is counted on the cap - any pay off Watkins gets will go on this years cap.

In The South Stand

Severance is counted on the cap - any pay off Watkins gets will go on this years cap.
    If it is as they say a mutual seperation come the end of the season then there won't be any pay off ?

In The West Stand

If it is as they say a mutual seperation come the end of the season then there won't be any pay off ?
    Mutual termination simply means no ones going to court - mutual termination can quite easily contain a payout from one party. That being said, Leeds simply made Watkins position at the club untenable - he had to leave no matter what - hence he’s not yet got a contract for next year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Mutual termination simply means no ones going to court - mutual termination can quite easily contain a payout from one party. That being said, Leeds simply made Watkins position at the club untenable - he had to leave no matter what - hence he’s not yet got a contract for next year.
    Not so

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...stay-at-leeds/

Still had a couple of years to run, could have played at Batley for two years

Upside
    Non Members

So of Leeds have got rid of him due to salary, if they have to pay him anyway and count it on the cap I'm not sure what they have gained ?

In The South Stand

So of Leeds have got rid of him due to salary, if they have to pay him anyway and count it on the cap I'm not sure what they have gained ?
    As i read it ( and it's just what i think and could well be wrong ) They have both agreed to cancel the contract at the end of the season,so there will be no payoff of his other two years ( again this is just what i think ). Watkins forgoes his remaining two years money and has the option to talk to any team and take the best offer. Leeds get cap space as it is only happening at the end of the season and both parties have agreed this outcome.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

As a club trained academy graduate could they not be creative? Are there upper limits on how much counts on the cap for acad grads? Depending what they are paying the marquees, are they able to move it around?

All conjecture and playing devils advocate, cant say I know how the live cap works! I'm sure if there is a creative way, Hetherington and the RFL favourite Sinfield will find a way

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    As a club trained academy graduate could they not be creative? Are there upper limits on how much counts on the cap for acad grads? Depending what they are paying the marquees, are they able to move it around?

All conjecture and playing devils advocate, cant say I know how the live cap works! I'm sure if there is a creative way, Hetherington and the RFL favourite Sinfield will find a way
    Declaring Marquees has never been made 100% clear (particularly signing a marquee contract vs choosing mid contract to declare on the cap). They could, in theory, find enough cap space this year to move one of Hurrell or Merrin off of their Marquee positions, switch Watkins in, and he would be 75k on the cap irrespective of the pay off.

Even putting the cap implications aside, I think it’s bad taste from Leeds. Surely you have to question as a player the clubs loyalty to you if their willing to cast aside their captain, who has on numerous occasions turned down NRL/ union money (presumably above what he was offered at Leeds) only to be cast aside after 6 months following recovery from a bad injury.

In The South Stand

Declaring Marquees has never been made 100% clear (particularly signing a marquee contract vs choosing mid contract to declare on the cap). They could, in theory, find enough cap space this year to move one of Hurrell or Merrin off of their Marquee positions, switch Watkins in, and he would be 75k on the cap irrespective of the pay off.

Even putting the cap implications aside, I think it’s bad taste from Leeds. Surely you have to question as a player the clubs loyalty to you if their willing to cast aside their captain, who has on numerous occasions turned down NRL/ union money (presumably above what he was offered at Leeds) only to be cast aside after 6 months following recovery from a bad injury.
    I was thinking the same thing,is it bad player welfare for him to be in this position ? was it poor rehab ? was he rushed in before he was ready ? It does seem an awful way to deal with someone who has been there for 11 years and is only 28.

Learning All The Songs

Watkins has spoken in the past of his battles with mental health issues, perhaps he wants away from Leeds and this is the problem. There seems to be a dressing room friction that may be he cannot or does not want to deal with.
    Looking and listening from outside I would say he is going to the NRL and that suits both parties. As earlier posters have said he could still get paid and not play or play lower league.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

It looks like DWZ is signing for the Wests Tigers and they will be having a cull to fit him under their cap.

Players like Reynolds, Packer, and Elijah Taylor are making way. None of whom I'd be that interested in for Saints

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    It looks like DWZ is signing for the Wests Tigers and they will be having a cull to fit him under their cap.

Players like Reynolds, Packer, and Elijah Taylor are making way. None of whom I'd be that interested in for Saints

If I was Wigan I'd be all other Reynolds and Taylor. They need to replace 9 Loughlin this year you feel and Reynolds a perfect fit for Wigan in the halves

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

Reynolds is a crock, not been able to sting more than a handful of games together for about 3 years.
    Packer wont get a visa even if he wanted to come to the UK due to his criminal convictions and recent prison time
    Taylor is a good player and i'm sure he'll get snapped up by another NRL club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Reynolds is a crock, not been able to sting more than a handful of games together for about 3 years.
    Packer wont get a visa even if he wanted to come to the UK due to his criminal convictions and recent prison time
    Taylor is a good player and i'm sure he'll get snapped up by another NRL club
    I've just read that some of the players could go the other way

Upside
    Non Members

As i read it ( and it's just what i think and could well be wrong ) They have both agreed to cancel the contract at the end of the season,so there will be no payoff of his other two years ( again this is just what i think ). Watkins forgoes his remaining two years money and has the option to talk to any team and take the best offer. Leeds get cap space as it is only happening at the end of the season and both parties have agreed this outcome.
    If that's the case he must have something lined up already but not published the news yet, I can only imagine this is why a player would give up two years salary

My suspicion is rugby union, with his injuries it may suit him now

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Not Saints related but seeing as it’s the OOC thread, I believe Hastings to Wigan is a done deal.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Noooobie

If that's the case he must have something lined up already but not published the news yet, I can only imagine this is why a player would give up two years salary

My suspicion is rugby union, with his injuries it may suit him now
    Wasn't Watkins one of the players to be given an RFL Central Contract? I've no idea how these work other than that one of the objectives was to retain talent.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Not Saints related but seeing as it’s the OOC thread, I believe Hastings to Wigan is a done deal.
    Good player but I think we have the better player in Theo. I think if you saw Hastings tweets recently there were a lot praising Wigan when they played ( think he was lying though) so it pointed to where he was going. Be interesting how he will go at Wigan and if the outside influences will bring out his shady passed.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.