Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of Contract Players

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I don't think Lolohea has been at his best but don't think it's fair to say he's been awful given the stat about his assists, especially given his limited game time as you point out. His strength is his running game and the coach needs to find a way to get the best out of him. It's Myler's job to be the lead half. I don't know if you watch the NRL, but here's some footage of his ability https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oC_C61-z5c He has talent.

I would encourage you to go back and read carefully what I said about Coote and Saints recruitment for 2019 in general. But to summarize for you, I said that Saints had to find away of replacing what Barba brought to the side- tries, assists, tackle busts and that special threat of being able to create something out of nothing and go the length of the field.

Coote has looked good, producing some great cut out passes. But I think my point still stands. I mean there's another thread on here in which a young and relatively inexperienced half back is being criticised for not running the ball and threatening the line, yet it appears the full back is exempt from that criticism. Saints really struggled to create anything yesterday and the full back should be held responsible for that just as much as the halves. I think the signing of Coote and/or the decision not to strengthen the half back options will ultimately be determined at the end of the season, when we'll know if Saints have won any trophies or not.

Regards,

STEVO
    Must have been seeing things when Coote crashed over the line at Castleford then.

In The West Stand

According to the League Express we have entered the race to sign Josh Jones from Salford, as well as reports were one of the teams offering a contract to Jackson Hastings. Though according to the JOnes article we shouldn’t expect much more recruitment, with us looking at some more championship players only.

It also confirms we won’t be offering a contract to Luke Douglas or Ryan Morgan following the first of May deadline. Zeb Taia, Adam Swift, Callum Hazzard and Luke Cooper are players we have said maybe too, but don’t have a current offer with.

The only players outside of the are Theo Fages (whom we know we currently have offered a contract too), and Amor, whom seems missing from all of these lists and am starting to think isn’t ooc this year despite signing a 3 year deal in 2016.

Would be happy with Jones, Hastings/ Fages and a prop to replace Amor with a couple more championship pickups would be a good year for us I think?

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    According to the League Express we have entered the race to sign Josh Jones from Salford, as well as reports were one of the teams offering a contract to Jackson Hastings. Though according to the JOnes article we shouldn’t expect much more recruitment, with us looking at some more championship players only.

It also confirms we won’t be offering a contract to Luke Douglas or Ryan Morgan following the first of May deadline. Zeb Taia, Adam Swift, Callum Hazzard and Luke Cooper are players we have said maybe too, but don’t have a current offer with.

The only players outside of the are Theo Fages (whom we know we currently have offered a contract too), and Amor, whom seems missing from all of these lists and am starting to think isn’t ooc this year despite signing a 3 year deal in 2016.

Would be happy with Jones, Hastings/ Fages and a prop to replace Amor with a couple more championship pickups would be a good year for us I think?
    Can’t think why we would be interested in Josh Jones again. Hastings yes but only if Fages were off.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Just read the paper mate. Missed the Hastings bit. Where is that?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Just read the paper mate. Missed the Hastings bit. Where is that?
    I’ve just read back through and think I’ve conflated internet rumour and paper rumour! My bad!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I’ve just read back through and think I’ve conflated internet rumour and paper rumour! My bad!
    Haha thank god for that. Just wasted 20 mins flicking through and wondering just how many pints I had today and why can’t I find it haha
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I think Hastings would be brilliant for us. Just what we need to play alongside Lomax.

I would imagine it would take a big offer though as he will be in demand

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Mellor from Huddersfield we are interested in he was the tall No 12 yesterday?

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

I'd be disappointed if we let Swift go, unless of course he wants to as he's not getting enough game time. He's a decent winger who's done well for us and we can't go with just Makinson and Grace on the books, as one injury and we are in a mess. Unless there's someone in the 19's knocking on the door?
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Can’t think why we would be interested in Josh Jones again. Hastings yes but only if Fages were off.
    I think we’re obviously looking for backrowers with Taia unsure if he would go around again, and with contract upgrades for the likes of Makinson and Thompson (hopefully) meaning cap space is tight so an NRL replacement will be tough going, we’re left with picking up from players like Jones and Mellor ... along with the rest of the league

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

I think we’re obviously looking for backrowers with Taia unsure if he would go around again, and with contract upgrades for the likes of Makinson and Thompson (hopefully) meaning cap space is tight so an NRL replacement will be tough going, we’re left with picking up from players like Jones and Mellor ... along with the rest of the league
    I'd be happy with Josh Jones to replace Taia for next season, if Taia was leaving. Just wonder if that means Bentley and Batchelor would feature more as a replacement for Peyroux the season after. Jones never had a bad game for us, when he left he went to try RU, we also had Greenwood and Vea in the backrow with Thompson/Savelio also competing for pack places.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    I'd be happy with Josh Jones to replace Taia for next season, if Taia was leaving. Just wonder if that means Bentley and Batchelor would feature more as a replacement for Peyroux the season after. Jones never had a bad game for us, when he left he went to try RU, we also had Greenwood and Vea in the backrow with Thompson/Savelio also competing for pack places.
    I withdraw my previous assumptions and conclude the entire Salford squad are trying to link themselves to us!

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/rumou...DOrZ4Z3f1TrIRU

In The West Stand

http://www.totalrl.com/raft-of-nrl-p...-league-clubs/

Kyle Turner if we’re looking at backrowers?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    I reckon we have enough forwards like Peyroux , Taia , Paulo . We need a huge prop to back up big Al & Thommo

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    I reckon we have enough forwards like Peyroux , Taia , Paulo . We need a huge prop to back up big Al & Thommo
    Agreed, we missed Thompson last week, Lee's and Ashworth run in hard but as yet they haven't got the power.

We need them big drives to get us on the front doot then the backs can do their thing

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Why?
    A lot of fans moaned when we had Masoe, someone on this forum posted a month or two back saying we should sign Pauli Pauli, he’s been not been playing and been shipped off to Salford. Apart from Fifita there are no big poppers in super league that you could argue are better than Lees. Lees has really stepped up the past couple of months. Ashworth didn’t have the best of games against Huddersfield but he’ll improve.

We’ve got the best props in super league by far with Thompson, Walmsley, Lees, LMS, Ashworth, Amor. Unless Thompson/Walmsley leave we don’t need a big money prop.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Why?
    A lot of fans moaned when we had Masoe, someone on this forum posted a month or two back saying we should sign Pauli Pauli, he’s been not been playing and been shipped off to Salford. Apart from Fifita there are no big poppers in super league that you could argue are better than Lees. Lees has really stepped up the past couple of months. Ashworth didn’t have the best of games against Huddersfield but he’ll improve.

We’ve got the best props in super league by far with Thompson, Walmsley, Lees, LMS, Ashworth, Amor. Unless Thompson/Walmsley leave we don’t need a big money prop.
    I agree with that, our pack hasn't been beaten so far this year. A real good quality 7 would be my only weak spot I see us needing to fill, we've got 2 lads who are half decent but if we sign someone like Hastings I think it would take us to another level. Rumours James Maloney possibly looking for a SL gig. I've not been watching the NRL recently but he could be someone saints, Leeds and Wigan are looking at, though I believe he's 32? Maybe past his best now

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Why?

The only improvement would be something like Watts for Amor, these days with the interchanges its not about slow moving bulky props its more towards mobile dynamic props that hit hard on impact and we have that in Walmsley + Thompson, another season with Lees and Ashworth and I should imagine they will progress similar to Thompson.

These last 3 games I would say we are missing LMS who gets into the faces of the opposition and can attract an extra defender, we must say that with LMS and Thompson out Walmsley is doing a fantastic job and the rest of the pack are good value for money.

In The West Stand

A prop to replace Amor, a backrow to replace Taia (if he’s retiring) and an experienced half back to replace Fages (if he’s off to the NRL) would be the obvious places to recruit imo. We have youngsters who could fill in all three gaps in Ashworth, Bentley/ Batchelor and Richardson, but bringing in a couple of experienced players who can help bring them in over the next couple of years (or in Richardson’s case continue to provide competition so he continues his rate of improvement) seems the best way to spend what we can assume is a decent chunk of cap space with 5-6 players leaving

Why?

Agreed. Another big prop would be overkill IMO. Our front row has battered all comers this season so no change needed there. IF Taia is leaving then money would be better spent on a powerful running second row, or possibly a half back if Fages is leaving.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

In my view it would be a mistake to let Adam Swift go unless he wants regular footy. I think we are pretty good squadwise at the moment. Hastings would be great but only if Theo wants away. Interested to see how he goes on friday.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    In my view it would be a mistake to let Adam Swift go unless he wants regular footy. I think we are pretty good squadwise at the moment. Hastings would be great but only if Theo wants away. Interested to see how he goes on friday.
    Rumoured he has an offer from Hull and would be a first choice winger their you’d assume.

The problem is that when he signed his last contract, he was one of the first names on the team sheet, a favourite of KCs and with England Knights (or close to?) - we would have offered a better than average salary, and it’s hard to justify that money for a backup. It’s not the time in his career to take a pay cut to stay either so as much as it would be great for the squad for him to stay, I can’t see it happening.

Agree. He is a great back up, but this is where good management alongside what the player himself feels. Swift would be a starter in most SL teams but does he want to move? He’s very close with Tommy Max which might help us. But to be fair to the lad he will need to play occasionally and not just wait for an injury. I think the fact that Tommy prefers the wing has influenced Swift not continuing with Tommy staying centre until Percy returns.
    These situations are always difficult to manage. If Fages stays I see the same issue with Richardson as well. And if Fages does go I would be shocked if JH would be happy without getting another quality replacement in. I can’t see him seeing Danny as a permanent starter now.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

From what I've heard, Hastings will be following his current head coach to Wigan for next season

In The West Stand

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...l-test-saints/

It’s a no to Jones, no news on Fages (the longer it goes the more likely he’s gone imo), Holbrook and McManus haven’t sat down yet for his extension