Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tonight’s match.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintfryer View Post
    I think saints were better without the ball than with it last night if that makes any sence.
    As good as they were in attack they were better in defence.
    The speed in defence stopped Cas setting up most plays and getting into any sort of rhythm.
    Classy Cas may have to drop the "classy " bit for a while.
    It was a similar thing in Saints 2006, I remember most of the games we kept the opposition very low on scoring opportunities and in some sets the opposition made negative metres. We've had a couple of seasons where we have struggled to move up quickly and get into there faces, this season it seems when most teams start going tired in defence we have been the opposite and got tougher as the games wore on. We do have players who are weaker in defence but the rest of the players have helped out and its creating fantastic team spirit.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    1 slight negative from last night which I was surprised with was Naiqama's defence, he looked almost scared to make a tackle at times and just didn't seem interested in tackling, not really sure what was going on there, but it was noticeable.
    Agreed, it caused us a few issues first half. Got hammered for calling that on Facebook so glad it's not just me. Shows just how important Theo is next to him too

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Agreed, it caused us a few issues first half. Got hammered for calling that on Facebook so glad it's not just me. Shows just how important Theo is next to him too
    Many people commented on our signings, many saying Coote was underwhelming, all of course before he pulled a shirt on for us, them same people are happy to now post they have been proved wrong and he was not that good in the NRL, "yeah right".
    A few people never expressed any opinion other than Coote would fit in well and Naiqama was quick, good step and strong but his defence was dreadful for a rugby player, especially an International, these few people do not post now saying I told you so, they just smile at the reality of what they posted in 2018.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Kevin got a bad head knock first half that stopped the game for a good few minutes. Maybe this affected his game?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    1 slight negative from last night which I was surprised with was Naiqama's defence, he looked almost scared to make a tackle at times and just didn't seem interested in tackling, not really sure what was going on there, but it was noticeable.
    he was poor in defence -missed quite a few tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    he was poor in defence -missed quite a few tackles.
    The official stats don’t bear that out, he missed the same number (3) as Percival (making 16 compared with 11) and fewer than Lomax (4).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I actually thought Paulo was poor, came on and made a couple of errors; but, hard to be critical of what was the best team performance I have seen for years.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I actually thought Paulo was poor, came on and made a couple of errors; but, hard to be critical of what was the best team performance I have seen for years.
    I think Paulo is in a bit of a difficult position now - I think Knowles has really stepped it up this year, and could comfortably be our 13 for 80 minutes. Which means Paulo doesn’t really have a role in the team

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    It’s strange what different people see, the stats don’t register any errors against Paulo! He was penalised twice, once harshly in my view when stepping to one side to play the ball when there was a Cas player lay at his feet and once for a ball steal when the tackle was deemed to be complete. He also made more metres than Lees, Peyroux, Knowles and Ashworth.

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    It’s strange what different people see, the stats don’t register any errors against Paulo! He was penalised twice, once harshly in my view when stepping to one side to play the ball when there was a Cas player lay at his feet and once for a ball steal when the tackle was deemed to be complete. He also made more metres than Lees, Peyroux, Knowles and Ashworth.
    I agree - I thought Friday was his best performance so far. Possibly because he got a few more minutes than previous weeks.
    Obviously not a world beater but going off how much we missed Peyroux last year when he got injured he may prove a useful addition.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Oi 7/7 top of the table stop the whining?
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    As you say different people different views. But you have mentioned a ball steal, I am not having a go at Paulo but I don't understand why players keep trying this, Im sure most of them result in a penalty. You do see a few that get away with it, but on balance I think it is a stupid play.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I think Paulo is in a bit of a difficult position now - I think Knowles has really stepped it up this year, and could comfortably be our 13 for 80 minutes. Which means Paulo doesn’t really have a role in the team
    Knowles really has stepped up. I'd like to see a bit more ball playing from a 13, but if you want a player that can run onto a ball and break a line, that will tackle anything on the park, then he is superb this year.

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Funny you say that because I though it was one of his best performances for us. I'm still not sold on him but he's improving.
    I was so excited the way we were playing I probably missed half of it.

Was not surprised to see the RL papers again giving us praise ‘through gritted teeth’. This game was (Sky & Castleford themselves) billed as a big clash. Everyone (Saints fans included) expecting a ding dong game. A win by a few points for either side. Well Saints turn up, wipe the floor with them and we don’t even get a front page. Instead both papers go with....yes W####! Danny Lockwood writes that Cas were poor. Ok there were bits in the columns saying Saints were good, but unless I’m mistaken both being there and watching it again on TV my opinion was we made them play poorly. We forced them into error after error. We killed them up the middle. In fact we killed them all over the park. I knew when this game ended the story would be Castleford had an off day! What bollocks.
    Ok rant over.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Was not surprised to see the RL papers again giving us praise ‘through gritted teeth’. This game was (Sky & Castleford themselves) billed as a big clash. Everyone (Saints fans included) expecting a ding dong game. A win by a few points for either side. Well Saints turn up, wipe the floor with them and we don’t even get a front page. Instead both papers go with....yes W####! Danny Lockwood writes that Cas were poor. Ok there were bits in the columns saying Saints were good, but unless I’m mistaken both being there and watching it again on TV my opinion was we made them play poorly. We forced them into error after error. We killed them up the middle. In fact we killed them all over the park. I knew when this game ended the story would be Castleford had an off day! What bollocks.
    Ok rant over.

I don't know if someone at Saints has pee'd them off, but it's so rare for Saints to be on the front pages of either paper. I check each week as I walk past and it's a joke. We don't even get a mention in the sub-headlines most weeks.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I don't know if someone at Saints has pee'd them off, but it's so rare for Saints to be on the front pages of either paper. I check each week as I walk past and it's a joke. We don't even get a mention in the sub-headlines most weeks.
    Think it suits us to be underdogs Webbo, we got plenty of plaudits when Benny was here, they may be airing on the side of caution.
    Win the treble and their ears may prick up, we can watch Robes pick up six trophies (cannot see him getting the Lance Todd think a back usually gets it) that has never been done before

It annoys me as well but I presume Saints win again isn't news as opposed to Wigan actually manage to win a game!

Banned

It’s the Yorkshire mafia that write and edit those things. I stopped bothering with them long again because I got fed up with the top heavy reporting of the Yorkshire clubs. I presume nothings changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    It’s the Yorkshire mafia that write and edit those things. I stopped bothering with them long again because I got fed up with the top heavy reporting of the Yorkshire clubs. I presume nothings changed?

There is an element of truth in that, the rugby editorials are from Yorkshire. Sky news seem to be in on the act as well Saints and Wigan games don't have any summaries on why and how the MOS points are awarded, the rest of the games do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    There is an element of truth in that, the rugby editorials are from Yorkshire. Sky news seem to be in on the act as well Saints and Wigan games don't have any summaries on why and how the MOS points are awarded, the rest of the games do.
    I’m glad someone else has noticed. It must be our mate Gary at Leeds pulling the media strings.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Stop being so paranoid. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say no Yorkshire clubs will win anything this year so come the important time of the season, we'll be getting the column inches.
    Not if Leeds get relegated...
    Last edited by SaintJon; 26th March 2019 at 21:45.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Living in Yorkshire, RL is given a higher profile here than it is in the North West. So clearly if the media here take more of an interest they are going to steer the headlines. If there was more coverage from local media in the North West then there would be a choice of narratives.

You can't expect Yorkshire media to cover, Lancashire games or to give a Lancashire slant.

Just as you can't expect sky to not be heavily Wigan biased with the number of ex wiganers employed there now.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    It must be our mate Gary at Leeds pulling the media strings.

They'll lose interest if Leeds get relegated. Hetherington will lose his seat at the SL table and will have no influence on any decisions made, wont be able to block things like he has for years and wont have anything to offer the media.
    God I hope they get relegated !!!!

Got A Season Ticket

saints will get plenty of headlines if you continue to play the way you are i wouldnt worry about that