Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edwards the Messiah PART TWO

Noooobie

Default Edwards the Messiah PART TWO

Does all the upheaval with Edwards at Wigan means he signed the same sort of contract as Shelford signed with us, and somehow found a way out of it at the time encouraged by our beloved neighbours.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by oldcritch View Post
    Does all the upheaval with Edwards at Wigan means he signed the same sort of contract as Shelford signed with us, and somehow found a way out of it at the time encouraged by our beloved neighbours.
    The problem was Shelford did not sign a contract with us, he verbally agreed to come to Saints, but Wigan came in with a better offer and signed up . Saints claimed he had signed a contract, then when it went to Civil Court, admitted at the last minute that he had not, leaving us to pay the full costs of both sides, we could not afford the costs and had to give Platt to them in lieu. It was all the fault of a club director at the time, who thankfully has no involvement in the club now

He’s obviously had a change of heart. If he’s verbally agreed to join them then the actual signature is a formality if he’s still keen

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    The problem was Shelford did not sign a contract with us, he verbally agreed to come to Saints, but Wigan came in with a better offer and signed up . Saints claimed he had signed a contract, then when it went to Civil Court, admitted at the last minute that he had not, leaving us to pay the full costs of both sides, we could not afford the costs and had to give Platt to them in lieu. It was all the fault of a club director at the time, who thankfully has no involvement in the club now
    The way I remember it was that Shelford did sign something but not an official contract paper, the club didn't have the legal team with enough clout to argue over it, in the meantime the goons did the gazumping technique and backed it up with a barrister type legal team.

The situation with Andy Platt at the time was that he wanted an improved contract offer with the club and was going to get it and he took on a bigger mortgage on the strength of it. The club didn't give Andy Platt what he wanted so the Goons saw the opportunity to sign him up on a better deal, I think he moved to the Goose Green/Highfield Grange area in Wigan, that was were I got all the detail from.

It does look as though the goon club have financial circumstances and are watching there pennies because they are still pretty good on legalities.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    He’s obviously had a change of heart. If he’s verbally agreed to join them then the actual signature is a formality if he’s still keen
    I agree , he will be there next season .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Got A Season Ticket

In actual fact, the judge said that Saints (i e. director in charge)had "improved" the contract, meaning that he tried to amend terms illegally by writing in. Saints' case was destroyed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Not sure after the welsh defensive performances that Shaun Edwards will be at the goons after the world cup the world will be his oyster then and he chooses Wigan??
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    The way I remember it was that Shelford did sign something but not an official contract paper, the club didn't have the legal team with enough clout to argue over it, in the meantime the goons did the gazumping technique and backed it up with a barrister type legal team.

The situation with Andy Platt at the time was that he wanted an improved contract offer with the club and was going to get it and he took on a bigger mortgage on the strength of it. The club didn't give Andy Platt what he wanted so the Goons saw the opportunity to sign him up on a better deal, I think he moved to the Goose Green/Highfield Grange area in Wigan, that was were I got all the detail from.

It does look as though the goon club have financial circumstances and are watching there pennies because they are still pretty good on legalities.
    Shelford had signed the RFL registration papers we'd sent him, but hadn't yet returned the signed contract.

The piescum's legal team was good - and very pricey; as we lost the case, all costs were awarded against us - over £100k. We had to sell a player and the piescum took Platt (I wasn't aware there were any contract rumbles with him)

I remember him just about to sign when he was sat at the table in his house....but the pen ran out of ink and he couldn’t find a another pen ... I’m sure Wigan sent one over by post ( might have been a bic as it was lighter to send).... then BOOM !!!!
    LET THE GAME BEGIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
    i remember him just about to sign when he was sat at the table in his house....but the pen ran out of ink and he couldn’t find a another pen ... I’m sure wigan sent one over by post ( might have been a bic as it was lighter to send).... Then boom !!!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

That's how I remember the situation too.

Let's be completely honest he wasn't worth the bother anyway. We shouldn't have contested it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Wigan offered to settle out of court, but the Saints directors thought they had enough to win the case and earn some money, poor advice from their legal team IMO.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Wigan offered to settle out of court, but the Saints directors thought they had enough to win the case and earn some money, poor advice from their legal team IMO.
    I remember that too - was pretty embarrassing for Saints at the time.

What's your take on the Shaun Edwards situation Rogues?

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    I remember that too - was pretty embarrassing for Saints at the time.

What's your take on the Shaun Edwards situation Rogues?
    I honestly don't know.
    As I posted on the Wigan site, I don't believe there have been no talks between Lenagan, Radlinski, Lam and Edwards for months. Edwards was at the London Skolars v Wigan friendly in January, and I believe he's been up to the training ground.
    I suspect he's had a big offer from Rugby Union, one that Wigan can't/won't match. It does need sorting quickly and I hope it doesn't go to court and wouldn't do either party any favours IMO.

There's now a sports lawyer saying that a verbal contract is binding.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rug...wyer-1-9660542

Just get it sorted and move on.

Noooobie

Default Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I honestly don't know.
    As I posted on the Wigan site, I don't believe there have been no talks between Lenagan, Radlinski, Lam and Edwards for months. Edwards was at the London Skolars v Wigan friendly in January, and I believe he's been up to the training ground.
    I suspect he's had a big offer from Rugby Union, one that Wigan can't/won't match. It does need sorting quickly and I hope it doesn't go to court and wouldn't do either party any favours IMO.

There's now a sports lawyer saying that a verbal contract is binding.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rug...wyer-1-9660542

Just get it sorted and move on.

Noooobie

Edwards never signed or promised anything. He did watch Wigan v Skolars but has never attended any training. On TV he threw himself open to ANY offers so that discounts having a big offer from RU? He has recently turned down two offers from RU one Welsh, one English. The problem here lies with the Wigan heirarchy, they have slipped up big time letting this just drift on without any thought of where it was heading, well now they have found out. It waxs heading down the drain.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...his-intentions
    Interesting how this is going to be sorted. He says he will consider offers from both league and yawnian.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...his-intentions
    Interesting how this is going to be sorted. He says he will consider offers from both league and yawnian.
    The one thing that stands out there is the Lenegan Quote:

"Wigan during an interview with BBC Radio Four, while in January the Wigan chairman, Ian Lenagan, admitted Edwards’s return may not happen if his the current coach, Adrian Lam, is a success this year."

He's not the Messiah.

He's a very naughty boy.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

The one thing that stands out there is the Lenegan Quote:

"Wigan during an interview with BBC Radio Four, while in January the Wigan chairman, Ian Lenagan, admitted Edwards’s return may not happen if his the current coach, Adrian Lam, is a success this year."
    If Edwards tenure is dependant upon Lam's performance, then he is a shoo in for next year. This fiasco is almost as good as Saints beating them.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

From a rugby league PR point of view, I hope Edwards ends up at Wigan.
    The press are already wetting themselves at the prospect of the tinpot northern sport not being able to conduct business properly. Do you think the issue would have been widely reported if it had been a rugby league coach moving to Wigan?

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    From a rugby league PR point of view, I hope Edwards ends up at Wigan.
    The press are already wetting themselves at the prospect of the tinpot northern sport not being able to conduct business properly. Do you think the issue would have been widely reported if it had been a rugby league coach moving to Wigan?
    After recent years, there is no RL coach with as high a profile as Edwards.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...rds-wigan-move
    Wales would like to have him as defensive coach. He has a big decision, home club or Wales and the yawnian teams prepared to throw money for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...rds-wigan-move
    Wales would like to have him as defensive coach. He has a big decision, home club or Wales and the yawnian teams prepared to throw money for him?
    They spoke to him on Monday! They seem to find it easier contacting him than Lenegan. Oh happy days.