Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19 man squad v London

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I'm willing to give Holbrook some slack at the moment. We've played 4 games and already had a week off. The players do not need a rest at this stage of the season.

I will agree if he's still doing this in 2 or 3 months time but right now the players need minutes.
    Yeah, fair enough.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Smith in instead of Roby.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newport dave View Post
    Smith in instead of Roby.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Ashworth for Lees.

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

How did Ashworth do tonight ?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    How did Ashworth do tonight ?
    He was OK for the first 10 mins but the Broncos stopped his offloading game.

Learning All The Songs

Didn’t get to see the game last night but listened to the commentary & followed the updates on twitter.. sounded like Fages was excellent again and had a hand in almost every try? Read Holbrooks comments as well praising both halfbacks last night. Really pleased Theo is playing well and is getting the chance to prove some doubters who say he’s not good enough on here wrong!

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    Didn’t get to see the game last night but listened to the commentary & followed the updates on twitter.. sounded like Fages was excellent again and had a hand in almost every try? Read Holbrooks comments as well praising both halfbacks last night. Really pleased Theo is playing well and is getting the chance to prove some doubters who say he’s not good enough on here wrong!
    Fages played great, again. His defence was fantastic and yes he had a hand in a number of tries.
    I was one of his doubters, never felt he has offered enough creativity or performed consistently well enough in the halves, however I really wanted him to do well and prove me wrong as you can’t fault his effort. I’m glad with the way he’s playing at the moment and hope he can keep it up and improve more.

He mixed his game up last night and took on the line a number of times and chipped in with a couple of really good kicks.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    I didn’t read many criticising him as a scrum half. People weren’t sure on him as a stand off. It’s not a coincidence that his performances have improved now his role in the team has changed. He’s a lot better playing as a first receiver with Lomax and Coote playing off him. Playing that role takes his weaknesses out of the game.

I thought it was a solid enough peformance, London defended very well on their own line and they hung in there.

Thought Lomax, Peyroux and Coote were very good last night as well. Coote is impressing me more and more each week.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Aaron Smith does not look out of place and his distribution was excellent from dummy half.
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection

I thought London got their tactics spot on last night. They knew they had no chance of winning and tried things that they wouldn’t normally try in a game they thought they had a chance of winning. 6 times last night they tried the short kick off and got the ball back a few times by doing it. It was clear that there tactics were to starve us of the ball. Also they knew we had a fairly new Ref last night and pushed their luck holding down and continually being off side but again fair play for chancing their arm. Despite these tactics we did have a lot of chances to score more points but credit London for there last ditch defence on thier own goal line. I counted at least 4 times that we were held up over the line.

If London continue to defend as well as that they’ll take a few more scalps this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Aaron Smith does not look out of place and his distribution was excellent from dummy half.
    Totally agree. I was surprised he did not get the full 80. But he did get a knock but not sure that was a factor.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I didn’t read many criticising him as a scrum half. People weren’t sure on him as a stand off. It’s not a coincidence that his performances have improved now his role in the team has changed. He’s a lot better playing as a first receiver with Lomax and Coote playing off him. Playing that role takes his weaknesses out of the game.
    I thought it was a solid enough peformance, London defended very well on their own line and they hung in there.
    Thought Lomax, Peyroux and Coote were very good last night as well. Coote is impressing me more and more each week.
    All good points. Starting to like what Coote is doing. Not blaming him but we need to sort out goal kicking. It could come back to bite us in the arse in tight games. Re Fages. I’ve always been a fan and it’s good to see many doubters are changing their minds. I hope now that whenever Fages is talked about in the RL press they now drop the ‘who is keeping Richardson out of the team’ rider that seems to go with any reference to him.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Fages was excellent last night. What was his tackle count? Don't remember him missing one. Credit to London for tackling right to the end.Thought after the first half that they would tire in the second 40. We need to be more ruthless in attack. Could have improved the point difference by more than 26.

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    I thought London got their tactics spot on last night. They knew they had no chance of winning and tried things that they wouldn’t normally try in a game they thought they had a chance of winning. 6 times last night they tried the short kick off and got the ball back a few times by doing it. It was clear that there tactics were to starve us of the ball. Also they knew we had a fairly new Ref last night and pushed their luck holding down and continually being off side but again fair play for chancing their arm. Despite these tactics we did have a lot of chances to score more points but credit London for there last ditch defence on thier own goal line. I counted at least 4 times that we were held up over the line.

If London continue to defend as well as that they’ll take a few more scalps this season.
    London defended like heroes and frustrated Saints at times - especially in the wet and wintery conditions. I have to say though that they looked pretty hopeless with the ball in their hands and apart from the early disallowed try they rarely looked liked scoring a try.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Fages was excellent last night. What was his tackle count? Don't remember him missing one. Credit to London for tackling right to the end.Thought after the first half that they would tire in the second 40. We need to be more ruthless in attack. Could have improved the point difference by more than 26.
    He's the only back in the top 50 tacklers in the league. I know that's not necessarily why you pick a half back, but the right hand side is looking a lot more solid this year, I noticed that Dom is defending inside him now

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Fages played great, again. His defence was fantastic and yes he had a hand in a number of tries.
    I was one of his doubters, never felt he has offered enough creativity or performed consistently well enough in the halves, however I really wanted him to do well and prove me wrong as you can’t fault his effort. I’m glad with the way he’s playing at the moment and hope he can keep it up and improve more.

He mixed his game up last night and took on the line a number of times and chipped in with a couple of really good kicks.
    Probably the most pleasing part of his play was for the Naiqama try, was right in front of me and it's probably one of the best examples of playing what's in front of you, last tackle he came from open to blind, and last year he'd probably have kicked it

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    London defended like heroes and frustrated Saints at times - especially in the wet and wintery conditions. I have to say though that they looked pretty hopeless with the ball in their hands and apart from the early disallowed try they rarely looked liked scoring a try.
    That's a very fair and accurate summary

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I think a good analogy re the round ball game would be that London parked the bus!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I think a good analogy re the round ball game would be that London parked the bus!
    But they rested players as we did, looking at the bigger picture which meant they were on a hiding to nothing. Defence was always going to be their strong card.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Totally agree. I was surprised he did not get the full 80. But he did get a knock but not sure that was a factor.
    He took a knock to the cheekbone and was not risked any further especially as Knowles can do a satisfactory job there.

The one annoying thing last night was twice the Bronco's was allowed to cheat and not play the ball on the mark but step a metre forward and over, so the ball went into our player, I think they did it with Fages on two occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He took a knock to the cheekbone and was not risked any further especially as Knowles can do a satisfactory job there.

The one annoying thing last night was twice the Bronco's was allowed to cheat and not play the ball on the mark but step a metre forward and over, so the ball went into our player, I think they did it with Fages on two occasions.
    At least a metre! Absolutely ridiculous

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

I think this happens all to often, shorten the ten a ref will often shout, for me they should play it again on the spot to discourage this behaviour

All teams do it

Upside
    Non Members

Amor tried hard, I like him but he seems a bad fit for saints at the moment