Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v London

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 19 man squad v London

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/03/0...sit-of-london/

Saints have named our 19-man squad for the Betfred Super League Round five match vs. London Broncos at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

Justin Holbrook has made just one change to his squad with centre Kevin Naiqama replacing Matty Costello.

The Fiji international was forced off in the win over Leeds Rhinos and subsequently missed out in the win over Salford, but in his pre-match press conference, Justin revealed that our new signing has recovered.

Holbrook will select his 17 from:

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Luke Thompson, 11. Zeb Taia, 12. Joseph Paulo, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 15. Morgan Knowles, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Dom Peyroux, 19. Matty Lees, 20. Jack Ashworth, 22. James Bentley, 23. Lachlan Coote.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

As JH said yesterday that he will continue re players as he did last year, ‘ If they are fit they play’ I just see the same team as played Salford with just KN coming back from concussion.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Yeah I agree. Not much newsworthy about the team this week I don’t think. It SHOULD be a fairly routine week and routine win if we are being brutally honest.

I can see both sides of the argument with regards to resting and rotating players. It’s a tricky one with it being so early in the season. I’d be happy with Knowles having some time at 9 and more minutes for Paulo at 13 with Roby having a breather.

Got A Season Ticket

I'd really like to see Bentley come in for Taia for this one. It was clear to see how much we burned out last season and Zeb suffered more than most in that respect IMO.

In The South Stand

Like you say it's the same team as v Salford only with KN in it. The London result v Wigan will of shown our lads that they can't take them to lightly. That being said we are a far better team than Wigan and we should control this game from start to finish and I expect a comfortable win.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    As JH said yesterday that he will continue re players as he did last year, ‘ If they are fit they play’ I just see the same team as played Salford with just KN coming back from concussion.
    I would expect come Easter Weekend Holbrook to start introducing some kind of rotation with our key players, just 1 or 2 fresh players in our home games shouldn't disrupt the team fluency. We don't want our killer front row going stale and perhaps Lomax and Percival getting a couple of games rest as well.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I would expect come Easter Weekend Holbrook to start introducing some kind of rotation with our key players, just 1 or 2 fresh players in our home games shouldn't disrupt the team fluency. We don't want our killer front row going stale and perhaps Lomax and Percival getting a couple of games rest as well.
    I think you are probably right,Easter takes it's toll and is a good time to rest a player or two per game. Get ourselves more league points and a bit of a gap in the table and we should see some rotation.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I think he said something along the lines of "similar to last year, if the boys have got niggling injuries he wont play them" I thought niggling injuries were the excuse given for some of Barba's woeful performances?

I don’t see Morgan’s name in their 19.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    A few rested by Landen.

Therefore a bit of a missed opportunity to blood or give a run to a couple of deserving cases.

I understand it is early, so no need to rest players on the basis of fatigue or form

This should be more about the readiness of fringe players.

Come July there is a danger of flogging and needling players due to sqaud players not having
    enough high level gametime. Its a fine line.

A run for 2/3 out of Bentley , Smith, Batchelor and Ashworth would not be unreasonable.

I guess holbrook knows his shizzle, respect that. However does seems a bit of narrow thinking.

Banned

As JH said yesterday that he will continue re players as he did last year, ‘ If they are fit they play’ .
    Great, I look forward to our season being over by August again.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    It’s there!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    It’s there!
    Back in my box. You meant Ryan Morgan didn’t you! Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    Back in my box. You meant Ryan Morgan didn’t you! Doh!
    Yes

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Taia really not impressing me so far, too many unforced and lazy errors for me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    I'd still give him time, but it may turn out to be a season too far.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

This is exactly the sort of game Ashworth needs to be getting decent minutes in.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

He’s always our 2nd highest metre maker and 4th top tackler. He gets through a load of work.

He’s averaging 1 error per game so far which isn’t great but hardly an issue I don’t think.

Got A Season Ticket

Is he the new Wilkin, for me his stats are very good so far this year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

That word "lazy" isn't one I would associate with Taia, he gets through a load of work and the ball goes through his hands in a similar amount of time as our half backs so the errors will mount up especially as he always trying to force and promote the ball. If the opposition hang off him then his error count is not too bad.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    This is exactly the sort of game Ashworth needs to be getting decent minutes in.
    You may get your wish.....

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Roby is our prize asset so any chance we get to rest him,as well as grooming his successor, then, for me , we should take it. I know we have to show London respect but we should be far too good for them and I'd have rested Roby, Taia, as he plays 80 mins every week and hardly misses a game, and maybe Tommo, as he's been playing long minutes so far. Bring in Smith, Bentley and Douglas or Ashworth and the team shouldn't miss a beat. We've got a big squad, with strength in depth, and we need to use it. Even if that means losing a couple of games we could've won along the way, it hardly matters as we should still finish top 2, and that, along with having players fit and fresh in September is the thing that matters.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    having players fit and fresh in September is the thing that matters.
    Agree with you here, absolutely.

Holbrook's reluctance to rotate players will again come back to bite us on the arse, when we look jaded come the business end of the season.

I understand wanting to win games, but you can't keep playing the same players through the entire season.

(it annoys me almost as much as Klopp continuing to play Jordan 'sideways' Henderson every game, even though he offers cock-all attacking-wise)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Agree with you here, absolutely.

Holbrook's reluctance to rotate players will again come back to bite us on the arse, when we look jaded come the business end of the season.
    I'm willing to give Holbrook some slack at the moment. We've played 4 games and already had a week off. The players do not need a rest at this stage of the season.

I will agree if he's still doing this in 2 or 3 months time but right now the players need minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I'm willing to give Holbrook some slack at the moment. We've played 4 games and already had a week off. The players do not need a rest at this stage of the season.

I will agree if he's still doing this in 2 or 3 months time but right now the players need minutes.
    We’ve had 10, 12, 6 and 8 days between fixtures including this Friday. Don’t see the need for much rotation certainly not in key positions. It was clear against Salford our 1, 6, 7, 13 combinations in attack needed work which is to be expected given last year the majority of those plays were Barba, Lomax, Richardson, Wilkin and now Coote, Lomax, Fages, Knowles/Paulo. The cohesion will come but it takes time together on the field. Props and 2nd row are the only ones I’d look for a bit of rotation or some players playing more minutes than usual.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.