Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savellio

Learning All The Songs

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Queue 60 page thread

In the light of what I've just been saying about Wigan's forwards in another thread, I'd imagine they'll be in for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    In the light of what I've just been saying about Wigan's forwards in another thread, I'd imagine they'll be in for him.
    I think they need someone with a bit more nastiness about them, his mother perhaps?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I think they need someone with a bit more nastiness about them, his mother perhaps?
    Now that did make me chuckle.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Former Super League Favourite made me chuckle.
    The kid was OK and showed some promise to begin with. But...

Maybe that will come back and bite me on the bum?!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

He's not had the best of luck with illness and injuries, bit of a gamble by the super league clubs interested in him. Salford might go for him at a guess.

In The South Stand

Didn’t his family move to Brisbane as well? Won’t he just play for a local side there?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Didn’t his family move to Brisbane as well? Won’t he just play for a local side there?
    On what money?

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Savellio, Greenwood & Thompson were all coming through at the same time.

One of them thought they were a lot better than they were.
    One had a superb season and was poached away to the NRL before returning to SL
    One just kept making the 17, then the staring 13 then took their chance last season, made the national squad then made the world 13.

All had potential, but fulfilled it to differing levels.

I understand he wanted to play in the back row, but KC saw him as a prop, but to then not work out at Cas or Warrington (before some how getting a NRL contract) all feels like there's something not right. Good luck to him, resuming his career after an apparently horrific injury, but we are quite well stocked in the back row. I can see him perhaps at London or Toronto were the expectations wouldn't be as high to try to showcase what he can do.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Surprised he’s not had time With one of the Broncos feeder teams...

He’s like a young SBW according to his agent, so he’ll be at Toronto soon....

Joking aside, its his agent feeding him nonsense I reckon. As Blue Harvest mentioned above he could have stayed and made an impact but instead he chose to leave, and his agent would get a cut....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Got A Season Ticket

He always seemed to have some talent, but I never saw anything in him that made me think he was a superstar in the making. But realistically he was only 20/21 when he left Saints, almost no player is complete by then. Perhaps if he'd stayed at Saints he'd have developed into a Superstar.
    Just about every top level athlete is arrogant and believe they are they best – that’s part of the very nature which makes the go the extra mile to reach the top.

From what I’ve heard and read, he had his agent in his ear pushing to make a move, so his Agent would get a nice juicy cut. Unfortunately a combination of trying to run before he could walk and bad luck with injuries look to have derailed his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehnn View Post
    He always seemed to have some talent, but I never saw anything in him that made me think he was a superstar in the making. But realistically he was only 20/21 when he left Saints, almost no player is complete by then. Perhaps if he'd stayed at Saints he'd have developed into a Superstar.
    Just about every top level athlete is arrogant and believe they are they best – that’s part of the very nature which makes the go the extra mile to reach the top.

From what I’ve heard and read, he had his agent in his ear pushing to make a move, so his Agent would get a nice juicy cut. Unfortunately a combination of trying to run before he could walk and bad luck with injuries look to have derailed his career.
    I don't think there's any doubt he had tremendous potential. I remember going to a match at Widnes in which he came on in the front row (in a match in which our pack was struggling) and was unplayable. He would have been about 19/20 at the time. I thought at that point that we had a real diamond on our hands, but for whatever reason it didn't work out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Lots of potential but too lazy to realise it.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Lots of potential but too lazy to realise it.
    I don't think it was so much as being lazy, more like he was sulking at the way KC treated him. He was badly used imo.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I don't think there's any doubt he had tremendous potential. I remember going to a match at Widnes in which he came on in the front row (in a match in which our pack was struggling) and was unplayable. He would have been about 19/20 at the time. I thought at that point that we had a real diamond on our hands, but for whatever reason it didn't work out.
    Remember that well it was Sav and Mose that had to take on the Widnes Pack. Towards the end of that season he stopped putting the effort in, lost aggression and became less effective instead of following Thommo's example of applying some grit and attitude.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    I don't think it was so much as being lazy, more like he was sulking at the way KC treated him. He was badly used imo.
    I remember being at Widnes for a Bank Holiday game in his last season with us, he was OK in the first half and just didn't bother doing anything in the second. Whether it was laziness or sulking, he let the rest of his teammates down.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Remember that well it was Sav and Mose that had to take on the Widnes Pack. Towards the end of that season he stopped putting the effort in, lost aggression and became less effective instead of following Thommo's example of applying some grit and attitude.
    It wasn't plain sailing for Thompson under Cunningham, either. I know he had a run of getting concussed, but Cunningham generally kept picking Greg Richards over Thompson.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I remember being at Widnes for a Bank Holiday game in his last season with us, he was OK in the first half and just didn't bother doing anything in the second. Whether it was laziness or sulking, he let the rest of his teammates down.
    I went to watch a reserves game a couple of years ago that he was involved in and he was an absolute disgrace, sickening. Remember seeing Paul Wellens and thinking that his heart must have broke that night watching someone turn up with an attitude like that.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

To be fair didn't he lose a bit of development time through illness.

There were glimpses of talent there if he'd have knuckled down and worked hard he might have realised his potential.

I'm not keen on re-signing players and we've no room for him anyway but I bet Holbrook would have made a decent forward out of him.

Toronto with McDermott as coach would be a good move for him.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

His attitude was appalling. Roundly disliked by the lads in the u19s the season he was appointed to be their "leader"
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Decent enough player , but miles behind what we have now , Wigan must be favourite where he can move to and start to continually criticize the manager.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Got A Season Ticket

Signed for Hull with immediate effect

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...r-hull-2630137

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    Signed for Hull with immediate effect

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...r-hull-2630137
    Maybe Gareth Ellis can finally hang his boots up for good now.