Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Eddie Hemmings Retires

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

They should use this as a catalyst to totally revamp the presentation team, lock stock and barrel.

I think Hemmings has been appalling for years, typifies everything that's wrong with Sky's coverage of the game.

5 minutes of genius with Wide to West, 20+ years of mediocre commentary
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

As I said earlier on in this thread , keep your eye on Wilkin .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

I hope Wilkin gets the job. I think he would be good at it

Got A Season Ticket

Clive Tyldesley would be a good shout. He's a pro.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Went from a decent commentator to a blabbering idiot in the space of a couple of seasons, and his retirement is 5+ years too late.

He also used to be quite friendly towards Saints, then changed to being a full-blown piescum lover.

His low point was the pitiful fawning over the coward Ben Flower upon his return from a ludicrously short ban.
    Glad you posted this Webbo, as I was starting to think I dreamt Eddie's fondness of Saints. The moment our all conquering years ended, he abandoned us. Prior to this it was always obvious that Stevo liked Leeds and Bradford and Eddie liked Saints. The end for me with Eddie was his continual fawning over Ratboy and worst of all his grovelling hero worship re the return of Ben Flower. It was as if Flower was returning to the sport from battling an epic health condition, rather than coming back after retiring another player with a vicious assault.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    He was excellent 20 or so years ago when ITV had a dabble televising games live on a Saturday afternoon. Even though he was primarily a football commentator his knowledge of the game and the players was excellent and he was very professional as you say. Far better than Dave Woods or any of the chimps Sky have used. Seems to only do the occasional footy game now so could be available for a more permanent role. Here's hoping!
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Compare what we have today = a bunch of mostly "goon" blabbering idiots , listen to an NRL game and how thier commentators use their experience , know how to portray the game ? , and which group would Wilkin fit into . Needless to say I turn the sound right down for our lot.

Got A Season Ticket

Worked with Clive Tyldesley at Radio City, so professional, never seen someone put so much pre preparation into match commentary, Clive did cover one International Game at the old Central Park for the Independent Radio News, taken by all commercial stations, it was his first RL game, and I did my own prep sheet with simple pictures what decisions were to point st to assist him.

Eddie has done a great job for rugby league, people who have never do the job so easily jump on these commentators, same with Eddie Waring, it is the right time for Eddie Hemmings did surprise me in the middle of a season? I don't think any of the other Sky team could do the job that is needed they are simply not good enough, and yes I did work with one of them also at City. Stuart Pyke would no longer be suitable.

It is time for a complete new commentary team! Sky should have bringing someone younger through for a few years, it may have to be someone from football, another City colleague would be ideal Steve Bower is on the BBC team now, would he move to Rugby League.

Jon Wilkin always rated but he does not have the skills for a full match commentary, there is only one post I want to see Jon in and that depends when he is going to call it a day, that is to replace Ralph Rimmer at CEO of The Rugby Football Player, a great communicator, a top ex player! he is perfect!

Time for the Chuckle Brothers to GO! as well, one one person is needed with the main commentator.

Thanks Eddie! I always liked Eddie with Stevo there book was a great read!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Yeah wish him well in his retirement. Thought the health issue also, did he have a problem a few years ago that required time off ?
    Both Eddie and Bill Arthur had Prostate Cancer. I think everyone would hope it is not that which is not forcing him to retire.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 3rd March 2019 at 18:25.

Got A Season Ticket

IIRC Clive Tyldesley used to do the odd Rugby League coverage for Radio City back in the day and he was very good.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Mick Morgan would be a good shout.It would be entertaining.

To add, when I described him as blabbering like an idiot, I wasn't referring to him getting names wrong. Nobody got more player names wrong than Ray French, and I enjoyed his commentary right up to his retirement, as he had great insight into the game, didn't say things just to court controversy, and never tried to spin an obvious lie in support of a Ref's decision when he'd got the decision woefully wrong.

Hemmings has turned the latter two into the norm in his commentary, which is infuriating
    Just watched the 96 cup final highlights again, Ray French was excellent at that time.

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

For me Eddie was a big factor in making the game soft.

Comments like "nobody wants to see this" - whenever there was any biff.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post
    For me Eddie was a big factor in making the game soft.

Comments like "nobody wants to see this" - whenever there was any biff.
    A commentator made the game soft?

Was Ben flower a bit of biff?

It's rugby league for hard men not thugs

Got A Season Ticket

What I did not like about Eddie was his many references to games and events scores and incidents from the past. He was becoming more and more a comment maker rather than a commentator.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by glee View Post
    What I did not like about Eddie was his many references to games and events scores and incidents from the past. He was becoming more and more a comment maker rather than a commentator.

Agreed, he and Steve were great for the game 20 years ago but he has dropped his performances and I'm tired of his commentary. That isn't to say he wasn't good, he was a breath of fresh air,, but now he has become like the ones he was replacing.
    For my Eddie and Steve were very good, had some great days, did a lot for rugby league but their time has passed, maybe a couple of years to late but he deserves an extra couple of years for his service

I wish him all the best and would like him and Steve to do the odd spot on an RL show

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Worked with Clive Tyldesley at Radio City, so professional, never seen someone put so much pre preparation into match commentary, Clive did cover one International Game at the old Central Park for the Independent Radio News, taken by all commercial stations, it was his first RL game, and I did my own prep sheet with simple pictures what decisions were to point st to assist him.

Eddie has done a great job for rugby league, people who have never do the job so easily jump on these commentators, same with Eddie Waring, it is the right time for Eddie Hemmings did surprise me in the middle of a season? I don't think any of the other Sky team could do the job that is needed they are simply not good enough, and yes I did work with one of them also at City. Stuart Pyke would no longer be suitable.

It is time for a complete new commentary team! Sky should have bringing someone younger through for a few years, it may have to be someone from football, another City colleague would be ideal Steve Bower is on the BBC team now, would he move to Rugby League.

Jon Wilkin always rated but he does not have the skills for a full match commentary, there is only one post I want to see Jon in and that depends when he is going to call it a day, that is to replace Ralph Rimmer at CEO of The Rugby Football Player, a great communicator, a top ex player! he is perfect!

Time for the Chuckle Brothers to GO! as well, one one person is needed with the main commentator.

Thanks Eddie! I always liked Eddie with Stevo there book was a great read!
    What he said. Commentary is a very different skill to punditry and it needs a real pro.
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Season Ticket

Well the Toronto commentary yesterday was another Amateur Show! on and off the field.

The door is open for Allan “ ee’s in at the corner, who is it Ray, I can’t see!” Rooney.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    A commentator made the game soft?

Was Ben flower a bit of biff?

It's rugby league for hard men not thugs
    I'm not condoning what Flower did - but there was nothing like a Good Friday dust up to get the crowd going.
    Foggy on Cowie, Scully and Farrell etc etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post
    I'm not condoning what Flower did - but there was nothing like a Good Friday dust up to get the crowd going.
    Foggy on Cowie, Scully and Farrell etc etc.
    Dom Feaunati attaining legendary status.

Just a pity he then repeated the pummeling on his girlfriend/wife. Er... allegedly
    Last edited by Webbo Again; 4th March 2019 at 22:28.

In The South Stand

Dom Feaunati attaining legendary status.

Just a pity he then repeated the pummeling on his girlfriend/wife. Er... allegedly
    Didn't he bite a kid ?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by glee View Post
    What I don't like, amongst many other things.. is why does he think every single kick in a game from inside the 40 is a 40/20 attempt. Every week without fail he'll say it and I don't know why but it really gets on my nerves

Just as a matter of interest, when was the last time Eddie was actually "seen" on the TV , even on the time when he was commentating .

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, when was the last time Eddie was actually "seen" on the TV , even on the time when he was commentating .
    So that's why he keeps repeating himself, it's just a recording.