Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eddie Hemmings Retires

Quote Originally Posted by Billinge Bren View Post
    Is Stuart Pike still going? I ran up huge bills on my mam and dads' phone to saints news line in the late 80s. Listening to Stuart Pike interview Barry Ledger for an hour at 30p a minute!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I remember it well ... lol.

I’m not sure Pyke is of the necessary calibre for the main job though. I think DD’s is the most likely call - Dave Woods poached from the Beeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I remember it well ... lol.

I’m not sure Pyke is of the necessary calibre for the main job though. I think DD’s is the most likely call - Dave Woods poached from the Beeb.
    That’d be my preference. It would be a big career step up for him and he’d no doubt earn a lot more

Got A Season Ticket Billinge Bren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    “St Helens Newsline, 24 hours a day - 7 days a week!”
    Good memory! The intro with the crap music cost about 3 quid before the interview started! How these kids are spoilt rotten with smartphones!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Is Stuart Pike still going? I ran up huge bills on my mam and dads' phone to saints news line in the late 80s. Listening to Stuart Pike interview Barry Ledger for an hour at 30p a minute!

Haha I cost my parents a fortune waiting for us sign all the players Murphy lied about

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Haha I cost my parents a fortune waiting for us sign all the players Murphy lied about

Ah the old "many irons in the fire" line we got fed.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Seems a bit unusual retiring part way through a season, hope there's not a health reason.
    According to Gareth Walker on Twitter it’s the same time that the long-standing producer Neville Smith is finishing. Presumably the plan is for a fresh start (which I think the Sky coverage could really do with, TBF).

Got A Season Ticket Billinge Bren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

I fell asleep once listening to Stuart Evans. Felt dirty ringing it when my dad was in the pub and my mam in bed!

Wish Eddie all the best. Between him, Stevo and Ray French they were the voices of the game that I grew up with and its definatly the end of an era that i'm quite sad to see the end of. Its odd that his last game is Good Friday and I hope their isn't a health concern.

Next appointment will be an indication of how Sky views the game I think. If they go with Arthur or Proe who aren't any good and don't get a ready made replacement then I worry going forward.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Eddie was a great commentator of the game but should have stuck to calling the game rather than offering personal opinions constantly. Big shoes to fill though especially as there is currently no-one on Sky’s payroll anywhere near capable enough.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I think it's a poor show when people have a pop at Eddie Hemmings, or before them Stevo, Ray French, and what not.

For a start, yes, they all went downhill. They're old, and would have retired sometime ago in the normal working world. People do forget names. They do dip in performance.

Is this what happens when you get your carriage clock these days, then? Someone gives it you and then goes away and tells everyone who'll listen how sh1t you've been since you turned 60?
    To add, when I described him as blabbering like an idiot, I wasn't referring to him getting names wrong. Nobody got more player names wrong than Ray French, and I enjoyed his commentary right up to his retirement, as he had great insight into the game, didn't say things just to court controversy, and never tried to spin an obvious lie in support of a Ref's decision when he'd got the decision woefully wrong.

Hemmings has turned the latter two into the norm in his commentary, which is infuriating

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Wish Eddie all the best. Between him, Stevo and Ray French they were the voices of the game that I grew up with and its definatly the end of an era that i'm quite sad to see the end of. Its odd that his last game is Good Friday and I hope their isn't a health concern.

Next appointment will be an indication of how Sky views the game I think. If they go with Arthur or Proe who aren't any good and don't get a ready made replacement then I worry going forward.

Yeah wish him well in his retirement. Thought the health issue also, did he have a problem a few years ago that required time off ?

Pity Ron Hoof is no longer with us!

Any chance Angela Powers can go with Eddie?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

No idea who they'll replace him with, though they may well go down the route Sky do with football where they have two main commentators. Maybe Arthur keeps one game and someone else takes the other.

On Hemmings himself, I've always been quite neutral towards him as an actual commentator. He has his good points and bad points like them all, and good luck to him. Where I got annoyed was his talking down of the Challenge Cup which I really thought was un-necessary and came across as parochial simply because Sky didn't have the rights. RL needs its big personalities and big media figures to talk up the entire game, not just the bits their company covers.

Remember Dave Woods getting well & truly told by John Kear during the Australia v NZ game at Coventry in the Four Nations when Australia were playing the percentage stuff. 'Is it not their job to entertain?' Woods wailed like a spoiled kid. 'This is international rugby league, not fairy fairy la la land' was the reply from Kear.

Woods is a clown, knows jack all about the sport & should not be anywhere the commentary box for RL. He's a total embarrassment. Read his articles on the BBC RL section. Soundbites, comments made without any substance or research. He's a joke. Cannot stand the guy

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Went from a decent commentator to a blabbering idiot in the space of a couple of seasons, and his retirement is 5+ years too late.

He also used to be quite friendly towards Saints, then changed to being a full-blown piescum lover.

His low point was the pitiful fawning over the coward Ben Flower upon his return from a ludicrously short ban.
    Talking of which : just seen that cowardly incident re Flower , he should have been jailed for it .

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Always enjoyed listening to his commentary, always did it with a good sense of humour. Apparently a really nice bloke as well. Be interesting who takes the mic - presumably Ben Proe and Bill Arthur would be in pole position
    Could be Wilkin mate ...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Pity Ron Hoof is no longer with us!

Any chance Angela Powers can go with Eddie?
    She's shocking!

I hope Turry Marblemouth O'Connor can go too

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by ralph fridge View Post
    remember dave woods getting well & truly told by john kear during the australia v nz game at coventry in the four nations when australia were playing the percentage stuff. 'is it not their job to entertain?' woods wailed like a spoiled kid. 'this is international rugby league, not fairy fairy la la land' was the reply from kear.

Woods is a clown, knows jack all about the sport & should not be anywhere the commentary box for rl. He's a total embarrassment. Read his articles on the bbc rl section. Soundbites, comments made without any substance or research. He's a joke. Cannot stand the guy
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Remember Dave Woods getting well & truly told by John Kear during the Australia v NZ game at Coventry in the Four Nations when Australia were playing the percentage stuff. 'Is it not their job to entertain?' Woods wailed like a spoiled kid. 'This is international rugby league, not fairy fairy la la land' was the reply from Kear.

Woods is a clown, knows jack all about the sport & should not be anywhere the commentary box for RL. He's a total embarrassment. Read his articles on the BBC RL section. Soundbites, comments made without any substance or research. He's a joke. Cannot stand the guy
    This is the difficulty with commentary. No matter who takes the job a proportion of the fan base will absolutely hate them.

FWIW I don’t mind Woods. I don’t always agree with him (and I remember breaking out into applause when Kear came out with that line) but he’s streets ahead of the Sky reserve team IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Could be Wilkin mate ...
    I can see Wilkin being a very good pundit but commentary is a different beast altogether.

Noooobie

Same here - an amusing pre SL era memory...

Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar

I always liked Keith Macklin (RIP)
    He should have taken over from Eddie Waring, back in the day.

+1 for Vossy from me.
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.

Would it not be Brian Carney to come in to take over from Hemmings ?

Noooobie

Vassos Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I can see Wilkin being a very good pundit but commentary is a different beast altogether.
    Carney, Wilkin and a guest in the studio and Dave Woods (or similar) and Wells on the commentary for me. Don’t need anyone else bar someone to do the interviews - Barrie and/or Terry as at least they can relate to the players and it comes across well on the NRL coverage with their ex players
    Last edited by Sean Day; 2nd March 2019 at 11:22.