Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eddie Hemmings Retires

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default Eddie Hemmings Retires

Hanging up the microphone, last game will be Saints v Wigan on Good Friday.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...r-four-decades
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

I hope he takes his syrup with him!

No but on a serious note it's the end of an era. "It's wide to West, it's ..........

Banned

Went from a decent commentator to a blabbering idiot in the space of a couple of seasons, and his retirement is 5+ years too late.

He also used to be quite friendly towards Saints, then changed to being a full-blown piescum lover.

His low point was the pitiful fawning over the coward Ben Flower upon his return from a ludicrously short ban.

Always enjoyed listening to his commentary, always did it with a good sense of humour. Apparently a really nice bloke as well. Be interesting who takes the mic - presumably Ben Proe and Bill Arthur would be in pole position

I find myself increasingly irritated by his commentary, but I do think he is/was good at what he does. It's quite noticeable when one of the deputies steps in how flat the presentation feels in comparison.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. I'm not convinced that either Bill Arthur or Ben Proe is the answer. A completely new face/voice would be good, I think.

His last game will be Good Friday at Wigoon, prepare yourselves for an Eddie love in.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Please no to Bill Arthur, too monotone and boring.
    Need some excitement from the commentary.

His replacement might give a clue as to Sky’s longer term intentions with rugby league. If it’s dear Angela.......(or any of the other commentators currently used).

Learning All The Songs

The best man for the job would be Rod Studd.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by jonnythesaint View Post
    The best man for the job would be Rod Studd.
    The best man for the job would be Andrew Voss. Rod Studd is an idiot, he’s just a man who tweets controversial personal opinions to get reactions off people.

I’m glad Hemmings is retiring I must admit, the way he questions every decision and tries to make every little thing controversial really bugs me. And for a bloke who’s been doing it for as long as he has, the amount of times he gets players names wrong is embarrassing. Just hope it’s not long before Clarke & Cummings decide they’ve had enough of getting paid to talk utter shite for a living and call it a day as well.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I think it's a poor show when people have a pop at Eddie Hemmings, or before them Stevo, Ray French, and what not.

For a start, yes, they all went downhill. They're old, and would have retired sometime ago in the normal working world. People do forget names. They do dip in performance.

Is this what happens when you get your carriage clock these days, then? Someone gives it you and then goes away and tells everyone who'll listen how sh1t you've been since you turned 60?

Eddie has put his heart and soul into the game for the years, and never misses a chance to big it up. For me, he's the best commentator the game has had in this country, and like many players, he has passed his peak. His retirement has probably come at the right time, but he should go with everybody's best wishes from the game he loves.

They will have a devil of a job to replace him, because decent chap as Bill Arthur is, he's not in the same league.

My money is on Sky enticing Dave Woods from the BBC. He's not brilliant either, but knowing the Beeb, they'll pay him a pittance, and I'm sure he'd jump at the chance.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Vossy for Superleague

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Here he comes " John Wilkin .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Here he comes " John Wilkin .
    JW Is excellent as an analyst/summariser, but keeping the flow of words going throughout a live game is a different skill. If they do go for someone like JW then I would wish him all the best, but it's hard to say where they will look for a replacement. I don't think any of the current lot are up to it. Carney, Possibly.

Learning All The Songs

Mark Chapman ? When he is anchoring all the analysts sound good, Wilko came across okay on Sky the last few times but not as good as he does on the bbc when Chapman is in studio, very easy going presenter style.
    Anyone who can make Jamie Peacock (great player that he was, dreadful speaker he is) sound fluent must be good.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I think it's a poor show when people have a pop at Eddie Hemmings, or before them Stevo, Ray French, and what not.

For a start, yes, they all went downhill. They're old, and would have retired sometime ago in the normal working world. People do forget names. They do dip in performance.

Is this what happens when you get your carriage clock these days, then? Someone gives it you and then goes away and tells everyone who'll listen how sh1t you've been since you turned 60?

Eddie has put his heart and soul into the game for the years, and never misses a chance to big it up. For me, he's the best commentator the game has had in this country, and like many players, he has passed his peak. His retirement has probably come at the right time, but he should go with everybody's best wishes from the game he loves.

They will have a devil of a job to replace him, because decent chap as Bill Arthur is, he's not in the same league.

My money is on Sky enticing Dave Woods from the BBC. He's not brilliant either, but knowing the Beeb, they'll pay him a pittance, and I'm sure he'd jump at the chance.
    He doesn’t have the greatest knowledge of the game and he can be massively irritating but at least Dave Woods actually sounds interested and not half asleep which is what has happened with Eddie the last couple of years. I’d certainly rather him than Bill Arthur and Ben Proe who are both rubbish.

Banned

I'd be less vitriolic if he'd kept his fondness for Saints but, whether through the influence of the crust-munching contingent or something else, he seemed to spurn us.

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

I'm sure SKY use Stuart Pike for other things like speedway and darts, he does commentary for BBC too. Maybe they'll use him or Bill Arthur as per the Cats games.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Good post, and I agree.. there's a massive difference between commentator and summariser like wilkin, Carney..

Like French, and Eddie Waring before him, people are always quick to comment. Look at football on sky with its "And it's live" if Eddie did that we'd be laughing our heads off about how embarrassing it is.

Personally I think Dave Woods is the only replacement who could take it on, Bill Arthur, Ben Proe and Rodd Studd are all garbage. I don't listen to anyone on the BBC or other local radio to know if there's anyone else out there.

As for Voss, I don't like his commentary, I think he's a bit too gimmicky, but I've not heard him for a while. For me, he's not a patch on Ray Warren before him.

Each to their own

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

For an Aussie commentator, Vossy is very knowledgeable about the English game, and a lot of people were more than impressed with him fronting Premier's World Cup coverage in 2013.

He can seem gimmicky, but generally is a sound and safe Mike guy.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

Learning All The Songs

I think he has been a pretty good supporter of the game and a good professional. Strangly I missed his partnership with Stevo. The Sky RL team has been expanded but has not enhanced the coverage. For me I would go for an international type of commentator. in order to progress the game we need to move away from the 'Northern Stereotype'

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Seems a bit unusual retiring part way through a season, hope there's not a health reason.

As a commentator what he lacked in knowledge he made up for with enthusiasm.

Recently he's started making mistakes and getting name and teams mixed up (It's a sign of old age I know too well).

Good luck to him in his retirement

Got A Season Ticket Billinge Bren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oldham_Saint View Post
    I'm sure SKY use Stuart Pike for other things like speedway and darts, he does commentary for BBC too. Maybe they'll use him or Bill Arthur as per the Cats games.
    Is Stuart Pike still going? I ran up huge bills on my mam and dads' phone to saints news line in the late 80s. Listening to Stuart Pike interview Barry Ledger for an hour at 30p a minute!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Seems a bit unusual retiring part way through a season, hope there's not a health reason.

As a commentator what he lacked in knowledge he made up for with enthusiasm.

Recently he's started making mistakes and getting name and teams mixed up (It's a sign of old age I know too well).

Good luck to him in his retirement
    I was thinking exactly the same,you would of thought he would of retired after the grand final. His wide to west comentary will always be remembered with fondness.

Good luck to him when he hangs his mic up.

Quote Originally Posted by Billinge Bren View Post
    Is Stuart Pike still going? I ran up huge bills on my mam and dads' phone to saints news line in the late 80s. Listening to Stuart Pike interview Barry Ledger for an hour at 30p a minute!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    “St Helens Newsline, 24 hours a day - 7 days a week!”