Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Salford

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 19 man squad v Salford

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/02/2...nnouncement-3/

Saints have named their 19-man squad for the Betfred Super League Round five match vs. Salford Red Devils.

Justin Holbrook has made two changes to his squad with Jack Ashworth and Matty Costello replacing Danny Richardson and Kevin Naiqama.

He will select his 17 from:

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Luke Thompson, 11. Zeb Taia, 12. Joseph Paulo, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 15. Morgan Knowles, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Dom Peyroux, 19. Matty Lees, 20. Jack Ashworth, 22. James Bentley, 23. Lachlan Coote, 24. Matty Costello.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Costello will start at right centre and Ashworth for Amor could be the other potential change, barring any other injuries we don’t know about. I know Ashworth previously chose to play for Leigh over being our 18th man so the fact he’s in the squad would suggest to me he may play.

Bentley and Amor to miss out would be my guess.

Coote
    Makinson
    Costello
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Thompson
    Peyroux
    Taia
    Knowles

Ashworth
    LMS
    Lees
    Paulo

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Didn’t Ashworth only drop out because both teams played on the Sunday? Could be wrong.

There’s been a noticeable dip when Thompson and Walmsley have gone off the field in the games I’ve seen so far. I know Holbrook said after the game on Friday that he was going to try and address that.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

YG starts the "19 man squad v..." thread, and order is restored to the cosmos.

Banned

I'd rather we brought Douglas back, and moved Amor out.

I'd also be happy giving Lees a breather in favour of Ashworth.

Costello doesn't really fill me with any enthusiasm. He's *okay* but nothing more, and none of his performances have suggested he's got a bag of potential waiting to be unleashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Didn’t Ashworth only drop out because both teams played on the Sunday? Could be wrong.

There’s been a noticeable dip when Thompson and Walmsley have gone off the field in the games I’ve seen so far. I know Holbrook said after the game on Friday that he was going to try and address that.
    Yeah he was given the option of being our 18th man or playing for Leigh and chose Leigh. So the fact he’s back in the squad would suggest he’s going to play I think.

Banned

I would have brought Douglas back too seems he's staying at Leigh on dual reg

In The South Stand

Wouldn’t bring back Ashworth not to use him. Would have him in the seventeen.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post

Ashworth is literally the only player that can have the same impact as those two IMO so I really hope Holbrook addressing those issue means Ashworth in the 17.

Quote Originally Posted by webbo again View Post
    yg starts the "19 man squad v..." thread, and order is restored to the cosmos.

Re Douglas am I right to think he can’t play as he is on loan for a month? Not sure when that was up though.
    Ashworth for Amor IMO. I do wonder if Paulo is fully fit as he was limping heavily at end. Maybe Ashworth could also fill in if Paulo does not recover. Amor was not on for long minutes which was strange considering we lost KN so early. If JH thought he was not having an impact then Ashworth would be a good replacement.
    Al if buts an maybes as always.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Costello will start at right centre and Ashworth for Amor could be the other potential change, barring any other injuries we don’t know about. I know Ashworth previously chose to play for Leigh over being our 18th man so the fact he’s in the squad would suggest to me he may play.

Bentley and Amor to miss out would be my guess.

Coote
    Makinson
    Costello
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Thompson
    Peyroux
    Taia
    Knowles

Ashworth
    LMS
    Lees
    Paulo
    Hope he does YG. Went to Leigh on Sunday and Ashworth had a good one along with Douglas. The Leigh fans love them. Only minor issue for me was that Ashworth was limping at the end but was probably just a minor knock.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'd rather we brought Douglas back, and moved Amor out.

I'd also be happy giving Lees a breather in favour of Ashworth.

Costello doesn't really fill me with any enthusiasm. He's *okay* but nothing more, and none of his performances have suggested he's got a bag of potential waiting to be unleashed.
    Yes same feeling about Costello from me too and does look to struggle in the centre position for me. I think both Batchelor and Simm have more to their games and more potential, plus both I would say are faster than Costello. Simm obviously doesnt have the experience yet.

Have to agree on Costello at centre. Doesn’t look like he’s totally comfortable there

Starting A Programme Collection

Costello against Junior Sa’u doesn’t fill me with confidence!

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Hope he does YG. Went to Leigh on Sunday and Ashworth had a good one along with Douglas. The Leigh fans love them. Only minor issue for me was that Ashworth was limping at the end but was probably just a minor knock.
    Especially Douglas , few of our lads (players that is) watching the game as well .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

I think at some point this season our strongest 17 will contain Douglas and Ashworth. Ashworth coming on after 20-30 mins would give us that continued impact up front when Walmsley goes off and Douglas would complement him nicely with his steadier approach

Got A Season Ticket

Although he's publicly stated Costello will likely feature at centre, part of me wishes Holbrook will go with LMS/Peyroux at centre to go up against Sau and bring in Bentley/Ashworth at SR.

Also - anyone else gutted we've missed out on seeing KN up against the other two biggest centres in the league in Hurrell and Sau? Was looking forward to seeing how he went.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    Although he's publicly stated Costello will likely feature at centre, part of me wishes Holbrook will go with LMS/Peyroux at centre to go up against Sau and bring in Bentley/Ashworth at SR.

Also - anyone else gutted we've missed out on seeing KN up against the other two biggest centres in the league in Hurrell and Sau? Was looking forward to seeing how he went.
    Didn't Bentley play centre a few times at Bradford?

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Didn't Bentley play centre a few times at Bradford?
    He played there for Leigh on Sunday too.

Holbrook must see Costello ahead of him though as Saints pulled him out of the Leigh game late Friday night after our game v Leeds, so his mind was made up fairly quickly that Costello would replace Naiqama.

I think Bentley would have been a safer choice. He did ok against Toronto whilst not getting much ball he was defensively sound. Be interesting to see what the club sees is his best position, either a sizeable centre or a smallish second row.

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    I think Bentley would have been a safer choice. He did ok against Toronto whilst not getting much ball he was defensively sound. Be interesting to see what the club sees is his best position, either a sizeable centre or a smallish second row.
    I got slated previously for questioning his height as a second row. However he is solid and when he played at Bradford, he looked to have decent hands and could defend. I think he may do better against Sau than Costello.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 27th February 2019 at 15:54.

Learning All The Songs

Didn't Joe Bachelor play centre for York and scored a shed load of tries? would he be better than Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Didn't Joe Bachelor play centre for York and scored a shed load of tries? would he be better than Costello
    I think Bachelor was leading try scorer when at York

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I got slated previously for questioning his height as a second row. However he is solid and when he played at Bradford, he looked to have decent hands and could defend. I think he may do better against Sau than Costello.
    Well I saw him close up at a Leigh and agree with you. Still rate him despite that.