Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Widnes and donate

Noooobie

Default Help Widnes and donate

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Here's an idea, why don't I go to work to pay for a professional club that I don't support to continue to exist. My family won't mind doing without.

Maybe I'll set up a go fund me page to pay for the Range Rover I've always fancied.
    Good one.

Maybe they should research how Leigh Centurions dug themselves out of a hole and rose from the dead like Lazarus. Widnes fans are highly suspicious of where the money went before they start coughing up more.

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Maybe they should research how Leigh Centurions dug themselves out of a hole and rose from the dead like Lazarus. Widnes fans are highly suspicious of where the money went before they start coughing up more.
    Is the difference that Leigh (by their owner’s actions) recognised that their then level of expenditure on players’ salaries was unsustainable and had a fire sale of playing staff, plus resolution of contractual arguments with a couple of players, before last season ended? Accordingly, and through a move to a part- rather than full-time squad, they were then able to commit to expenditure within their means and have been assisted by the dual reg/loan arrangement with Saints. Widnes on the other hand seem to have spent money that they didn’t have in the hope that a takeover was on the cards.

Think it might just be better to let them fold and a community/fan organised club,
    can start again from scratch. clean.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Think it might just be better to let them fold and a community/fan organised club,
    can start again from scratch. clean.
    Yes I'm sure the staff and players will like that when they lose their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Is the difference that Leigh (by their owner’s actions) recognised that their then level of expenditure on players’ salaries was unsustainable and had a fire sale of playing staff, plus resolution of contractual arguments with a couple of players, before last season ended? Accordingly, and through a move to a part- rather than full-time squad, they were then able to commit to expenditure within their means and have been assisted by the dual reg/loan arrangement with Saints. Widnes on the other hand seem to have spent money that they didn’t have in the hope that a takeover was on the cards.
    I think that's a good summary of how Leigh did it Tabasco. I'm going to watch them today, mainly to see our dual registration players and hopefully a good game of rugby. How will they do without our support, that's the question?

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Donations are throwing good money after bad.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Koukash pick up the pieces.
    I know he's been making noises re Liverpool but that could just be part of the haggling process.

We do not know who it is but maybe the investor who pulled out last week may come back to the table now that the club is in receivership. I guess they'll liquidate the existing company so all the debts and commitments will be wiped out, then start with a team of part time players.

It's a tough world.

what's the alternative ?
    Top slice all the superleague clubs £100K and prop Widnes up.

Then what , when Bradford or Club X run out of cash again.

There comes a point when you have to draw a line in the sand.

In The South Stand

It's a harsh, tough world out there. I've no problem with folk donating if they think that'll help. I wont be, as the clubs owners have obviously run in it in an incompetent manner. The club needs to attract proper investment to move forward, not stagger on funded by the scraps ordinary folk can gather together. Perhaps if they formed a proper co-operative that may work? In reality though, these things are only usually resolved by individuals (or an individual in some cases) becoming a benefactor of the club and being prepared to make losses in order to support it. The whole game is under invested in, which is why we take the deal SKY offer. Lack of exposure, lack of creativity and an unwillingness to embrace the 21st Century (marketing wise) by our image remaining rooted in the "cloth cap and whippet" era are all holding us back. I see our sport and it's great, on the field we've been so innovative, with sponsorship, rule changes, Video ref, etc. This season the changes have really upped the ante and made the game pacier and more attractive. Why can't we sell this great product? On the field, it's better than ever as a spectacle.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post

I know he's been making noises re Liverpool but that could just be part of the haggling process.

We do not know who it is but maybe the investor who pulled out last week may come back to the table now that the club is in receivership. I guess they'll liquidate the existing company so all the debts and commitments will be wiped out, then start with a team of part time players.
    Throwing good money after bad is what happened at Bradford and quite a lot of money too I know people want to do all they can to save there club but all the money that was donated just got swallowed up

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

It will be interesting to see the next step.

In a normal business the receivers run a business on a budget while they try and find a buyer. That could go on for months but of course Widnes can't keep cancelling games.
    I think when this happened elsewhere there was some talk of the players playing for free but there was problems re insurance etc.

I don't know if the League fine or punish them for every game they miss. If they do that puts pressure on the receivers to find a buyer quickly or to just liquidate the club completely.

Hopefully a buyer will emerge in the next few days.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Very well explained - considering the position Leigh found themselves in they have done well to get a team that will be competitive in the Championship and they were extremely lucky that they had an owner (I know he wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea) who genuinely cared for the club and did everything he could to avoid administration.

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Why do you keep posting like you're a barrister or something? No one's impressed by it.
    Not a barrister but my schooling and career choice were not far off and explain why I write as I do. If you think I’m trying to impress people through style rather than substance then you really are an uneducated moron and that might be the reason for the apparent shallowness of some of your contributions. I suspect that is not the case, however, and that you merely feign stupidity to wind people up.

Just reading that the David Argylle consortium has pulled out, leaving one other interested party at the table

Got A Season Ticket

Who supports when this happens all the small local business who lose out with money owed, far too easy to take the route they did, then raise funds to start again, those local business do not get the same opportunity, how did Widnes ever get in this mess, why did the directors & CEO just let it get to the state they did?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I could understand an amateur club asking for donations, but this is a business that has been . When you look at the success they had in the 70's and 80's, and games like the Widnes Hull final, it's shocking how far they have been allowed to fall.

I see one donater (Rhinos fan) left this message: 'We all belong to the RL family and need to support each other!'

I do think deducting a team 12 points is harsh, kicking them when they're down.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post

I think the good doctor wants to start a new club in the Liverpool area .

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    I think the good doctor wants to start a new club in the Liverpool area .
    The good Doctor said something similar today in interview at lunch time to, with regards Widnes, never say never! one other interested party who were interested were going to move to Liverpool?

£70,000 has been raised so far, but with not much time left with one interested party willing to put money in they seem a long way off what is needed. Not sure what the answer is long term, as far too many clubs seem to keep getting into this situation Widnes are now in, again how The RFL once again seem to fail, why was this never spotted? we needed so badly after Woods left new blood with fresh ideas and more drive!

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    The good Doctor said something similar today in interview at lunch time to, with regards Widnes, never say never! one other interested party who were interested were going to move to Liverpool?

£70,000 has been raised so far, but with not much time left with one interested party willing to put money in they seem a long way off what is needed. Not sure what the answer is long term, as far too many clubs seem to keep getting into this situation Widnes are now in, again how The RFL once again seem to fail, why was this never spotted? we needed so badly after Woods left new blood with fresh ideas and more drive!
    Perhaps it was spotted?
    We all have a go at the RFL for lots of things, but I'm not sure if they have 'failed' in this case. Surely this one is down to the management at Widnes?

Looks like the club are safe for now reading the BBC. Sorted by Friday but docked 12 points, game on Sunday goes ahead.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Looks like the club are safe for now reading the BBC. Sorted by Friday but docked 12 points, game on Sunday goes ahead.
    Widnes Vikings are delighted to confirm that a takeover of the club involving a consortium has been agreed, subject to RFL approval on Friday.

If approval is granted, Sunday's home game against @FevRovers will go ahead as planned.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Cup kings of the early 80’s in the sh** pan. Sad times for the game
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Hopefully the club can be run more professionally and sensibly now. If that means 5-10 years in the Championship on a part time basis then so be it