Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Widnes going under? Game cancelled.

Got A Season Ticket

This has all come from them not being included in Superleague because they wouldn't merge with Warrington. They were shat on from a great height and never really recovered. Huddersfield/Sheffield merged, took the money and then split. Widnes improved their ground like all the 'Lancashire' clubs which the Yorkshire clubs all got away with, and I for one will be sorry to see them fold, as much as I hated them in the seventies!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bernard View Post
    This has all come from them not being included in Superleague because they wouldn't merge with Warrington. They were shat on from a great height and never really recovered. Huddersfield/Sheffield merged, took the money and then split. Widnes improved their ground like all the 'Lancashire' clubs which the Yorkshire clubs all got away with, and I for one will be sorry to see them fold, as much as I hated them in the seventies!
    They had massive problems prior to that. Having to get rid of the likes of Davies ect to pay hmrc.

In The South Stand

Who’s the tit that does the RedVee Twitter? Very embarrassing and classless shite pushed by them today. I wouldn’t wish the threat of extinction on Wigan, so to behave like that was uncalled for and juvenile.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Sheffield, a fairly established top-league club and recent CC winners, effectively ceased to exist and have bumbled along in the lower leagues since, with a fraction of the even then modest support they had. Huddersfield got a SL team, which has only glancingly contended, and their support base has remained crap.

If Widnes had merged with Wire, they'd have disappeared anyway by now, swallowed up by Wire.

It's sad, very sad, and I hope they come back (maybe there's a pre-pack administration in the offing?). But I don't see the point in moaning about the RFL not giving them (or other 'heartland' clubs) financial assistance when their own community isn't supporting the team.

As a side point, I've seen so many businesses sell their primary fixed asset (land/premises) and either rent it back or move to a rental premises, fail a few years later. Unless there's a tight and realistic business plan, it can be a fatal false efficiency.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Exactly right! there's no pint in funding expansion if the game is collapsing in the heartlands. This would be an ideal venture for Koukash, a ready made infrastructure, ground, fan base, etc. Just needs an injection of cash and some new ideas.
    I think that gets things the wrong way round. It’s because older clubs are collapsing that we need as a sport to look at new areas. The difficulties of Widnes, Leigh, Salford etc have nothing to do with expansion clubs, and everything to do with the fact that those established clubs can’t seem to generate the support or cash to survive as professional outfits.

That’s tragic, and I’ve a real soft spot for Widnes since watching their great didevof the 1980s play us in some crackers. But that was thirty years ago, and since then they’ve gone backwards.

The world’s changed since the 1980s, and we can’t pay today’s bills with yesterday’s memories.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    As a side point, I've seen so many businesses sell their primary fixed asset (land/premises) and either rent it back or move to a rental premises, fail a few years later. Unless there's a tight and realistic business plan, it can be a fatal false efficiency.
    Every quote is spot on there Webbo, but the last one is not a side point, it is the most important fact, primary asset sales is short term thinking for crisis situations. The simple truth is once that bargaining tool is gone you have to have a very shrewd buisness plan from then onwards as you rightly point out. That cannot be understated.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Haggerty View Post

The world’s changed since the 1980s, and we can’t pay today’s bills with yesterday’s memories.

Nice soundbite!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If Widnes had merged with Wire, they'd have disappeared anyway by now, swallowed up by Wire.
    Just to clear it up, I didn't think they should have merged with Warrington, I can't remember now, but I'm sure they had more points than the team that stayed up.

I think it was mentioned on Sky, but you have to question the decision to remain full time in the Championship when several weeks into the season they run out of money

Learning All The Songs

Just to clear it up, I didn't think they should have merged with Warrington, I can't remember now, but I'm sure they had more points than the team that stayed up.
    I think they should have merged with Warrington. The original idea of mergers was a good one in my view and still is. It’s easy for me to say as a Saints fan obviously. Small clubs with small fan bases could only work as semi professional or amateur and there is a big place for that.

However, a fully professional league,with a sufficient numbers of fixtures to make it viable and a large enough market from which to try to attract supporters is required. Premier league football shows that a league in which only a proportion of teams compete to win, while the rest hover around mid table, can work fine. It’s the unscripted drama that is the key and even Leicester showed anything can happen. 16 top teams with five or six as favourites to win every year would be a big improvement in my view

RL is an early 20th century sport trying to survive and prosper in a 21st century market. The players at the top level are top athletes doing their best with an out dated system.

I feel sorry for Widnes and Bradford for that matter but in some ways growth and entropy are inevitable. We are not seeing enough growth at the moment but the new rules have been a breath of fresh air.

Obviously, I wish Widnes well, along with the players and their families

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Despite the history there, the club has been dead since they moved to the new ground. It just doesn't have the support of the community anymore.
    What on earth are you on about, Widnes have not moved to a new ground, they redeveloped Naughton Park just replacing the 4 old stands with new.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I think they should have merged with Warrington. The original idea of mergers was a good one in my view and still is. It’s easy for me to say as a Saints fan obviously. Small clubs with small fan bases could only work as semi professional or amateur and there is a big place for that.

However, a fully professional league,with a sufficient numbers of fixtures to make it viable and a large enough market from which to try to attract supporters is required. Premier league football shows that a league in which only a proportion of teams compete to win, while the rest hover around mid table, can work fine. It’s the unscripted drama that is the key and even Leicester showed anything can happen. 16 top teams with five or six as favourites to win every year would be a big improvement in my view

RL is an early 20th century sport trying to survive and prosper in a 21st century market. The players at the top level are top athletes doing their best with an out dated system.

I feel sorry for Widnes and Bradford for that matter but in some ways growth and entropy are inevitable. We are not seeing enough growth at the moment but the new rules have been a breath of fresh air.

Obviously, I wish Widnes well, along with the players and their families
    Well said. I would add that had they done this when SL started everyone under 30 will have only known the merged clubs, so wouldn't be held back by history.

Many of our clubs are semi pro in a fully pro market, we need to think differently and those trying to convince us that small clubs are the way forward are holding us back

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Well said. I would add that had they done this when SL started everyone under 30 will have only known the merged clubs, so wouldn't be held back by history.

Many of our clubs are semi pro in a fully pro market, we need to think differently and those trying to convince us that small clubs are the way forward are holding us back
    What makes you think that a merged Cheshire club would be any more prosperous than Widnes or Warrington, though? My suspicion is that had the mergers gone ahead as set out in the plans of '95 then you'd have just ended up with a smaller number of clubs who are struggling just the same.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Despite the history there, the club has been dead since they moved to the new ground. It just doesn't have the support of the community anymore.
    They've been at that ground since 1895!

The poor state Widnes are in is down to poor Management - they've got no completing clubs/sports in the town. A decent following adn a decent Stadium and the management still mess it up.

Starting A Programme Collection

Widnes have a great history and should never merge with anyone especially not Warrington , how would people of felt if Saints had been forced to merge with Wigan ?

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Merger is a 'swear word' in my book. Huddersfield 'swallowed up' Sheffield...there was no merger. WIdnes didn't need to merge with anybody, they just shouldn't have spent money they did not actually have, rather than assuming they would have new owners.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I think Widnes is the victim of "use it or lose it"

Of the Widnes fans i know, 1 has a season ticket, the others dont go the game even though they live a stobes throw away from the stadium and most of their games are sunday afternoon.

"why would I spend money to watch them get beat every week?"

Well, your club needs money. That money is generated by the fans. No money, no investment. No team.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post

Of the Widnes fans i know, 1 has a season ticket, the others dont go the game even though they live a stobes throw away from the stadium and most of their games are sunday afternoon.

Well, your club needs money. That money is generated by the fans. No money, no investment. No team.

Basically a town gets the team it deserves

Some rich benefactor may come along and prop a club up for a few years but if the people of the town don't support it it can't survive in the long term.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    What makes you think that a merged Cheshire club would be any more prosperous than Widnes or Warrington, though? My suspicion is that had the mergers gone ahead as set out in the plans of '95 then you'd have just ended up with a smaller number of clubs who are struggling just the same.

Not at all, less clubs over a bigger net with more advertising power, the name cheshire is stronger than a northern town name

I think Warrington have progressed well alone, so now widnes have to do it another way, Liverpool has been one suggestion

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    Widnes have a great history and should never merge with anyone especially not Warrington , how would people of felt if Saints had been forced to merge with Wigan ?

Why would we merge with Wigan?

We are not a failing club, widnes keep failing

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    Merger is a 'swear word' in my book. Huddersfield 'swallowed up' Sheffield...there was no merger. WIdnes didn't need to merge with anybody, they just shouldn't have spent money they did not actually have, rather than assuming they would have new owners.

So be semi pro?

Upside
    Non Members

Not just fans but sponsors and tv, in fact sponsors and tv are probably more important to income
    The word widnes doesn't attract investment, cheshire or Liverpool does

In The South Stand

I stand to be corrected here but I think that Widnes ground was redeveloped by the Halton Boruogh Council and then leased back to Widnes at a very small fee .

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Not at all, less clubs over a bigger net with more advertising power, the name cheshire is stronger than a northern town name

I think Warrington have progressed well alone, so now widnes have to do it another way, Liverpool has been one suggestion
    But who is likely to identify with a club called 'Cheshire'? Or 'Calder', as one of the other proposed mergers was called? I think you would have just seen a large proportion of both Warrington and Widnes fans giving up on the game, and once you've lost that base you're in trouble.

In The South Stand

That’s RL fans in general. I know that some people on turn up for the big games at Saints because the games against smaller clubs are “boring” because we win most easily and the atmosphere is poor.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club