Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 Man Squad v Leeds

In The South Stand

First half was hard work and Leeds moved the ball quickly off our mistakes and missed tackles. Prime example being Grace misses a tackle,Coote has to cover tackle and they shift the ball quickly knowing our fullback is at marker and score on our right. Lms isn't a centre and it showed in his positioning. The second half we raised the intensity and looked good. Some lucky calls went our way in the end as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Actually, I think he did come on when I thought
    TBF he was much better in the second half.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Very good second half from saints, couple of observations. With the new rulings it's very easy to get a roll on as Leeds did first half, a couple of drop outs and the pressure is unrelenting. We did the same second half, our defence on the whole was excellent. Coote is excellent, running that ball out probably turned the game in our favour, a drop out there would've finished us off.

Final thing, think that's the last we'll see of amor, down to 16, gives him about twenty minutes and drags him off after his knock on, which again had he taken it, would've sealed the game. He's been given a chance, and for me hasn't taken it, get Douglas back in

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Well that was a right mixed bag of rugby, those last 20 mins in the first half we couldn't have made it any harder by putting Leeds back in the game, no wonder they had there tails up with high fives going into the interval. I think we showed a lot of character getting back on the horse by tightening up our defence.

I reckon our pack won us the game in the second half and Amor provided a bit of solid play down the middle, obviously it was big Alex and Thommo who made the metres for position and momentum. Hicks was a mixed bag of decisions as well but I think we got the rub of the green in the last 30 minutes.

Leeds are (and always have been in SL) our bogey team so it’s great to see us come out on top after a horror show 20 mins.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Very good second half from saints, couple of observations. With the new rulings it's very easy to get a roll on as Leeds did first half, a couple of drop outs and the pressure is unrelenting. We did the same second half, our defence on the whole was excellent. Coote is excellent, running that ball out probably turned the game in our favour, a drop out there would've finished us off.

Final thing, think that's the last we'll see of amor, down to 16, gives him about twenty minutes and drags him off after his knock on, which again had he taken it, would've sealed the game. He's been given a chance, and for me hasn't taken it, get Douglas back in
    Douglas playing really well for Leigh thier speccies couldn't believe how saints have shoved him there , had a really good game against Fev , which I mentioned somewhere last week .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Got A Season Ticket

Phew lucky to get the 2 points but I will take them. Not at our best and a week off hasn’t helped. Early days we will only get better. Hopefully our game management can get better the more we play. Goal kicking is going to cost us at some point and Holbrook has a tough decision to make going forward.

Banned

Fages was excellent in defence that 2nd half. Did nothing with the ball, but I think he was moved out of the halfback role. Given his ineffectiveness with the ball in the 1st half, probably as well.

In The South Stand

Fages was excellent in defence that 2nd half. Did nothing with the ball, but I think he was moved out of the halfback role. Given his ineffectiveness with the ball in the 1st half, probably as well.
    You could say the whole team was ineffective in the first half but Fages got us on the board.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    I'd get rid of video refereeing tomorrow. How I miss the golden age of being able to celebrate a try in a TV game with anything like spontaneity. When we score tonight the first thing I will do is turn to look at the screen....
    Yes I think it's time to get rid of the video ref also, it's not making the game better and is still making controversies.

If it has to stay then perhaps we could just have 1 captains referral per game

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

We were our own worst enemy tonight, the best team won for sure but we played some really dumb rugby again. Leeds took their chances well and made it a close exciting game but the amount of yards we made with the ball compared to them looked another level. Mistakes, miss tackles and bad positioning from players filling in let them back in. Leeds are really dangerous when they get their tails up, they're a confidence side, we were desperate for half time.

The first quarter they couldn't get out of their half with the ball and that mistake from Percival from the kickoff was a massive turning point. Also walmsley going off, he did about 8 mins off the field and Holbrook put him back on to try and turn the tide back in our favour.

Think we nilled them in the second half which was a good effort, the scoreline should have been more comfortable though. That second quarter was awful. The other 3 quarters of the game is a better reflection of where we are as teams. It's just worrying we still have that capitulation in us, it reminded me a bit of the Catalan game but half time saved us. Was good to see we started the second half like we started the game and came back into it. All their field position came from our mistakes. I know it's boring but sometimes we just need to play the percentage and finish the game off.

A lot of people will give props to the props tonight which is well deserved but the backs were awesome at getting our sets started. At times we could start a set in our 20 and finish it in theirs. We just need that bit of smarts to finish those sets better and try to build some pressure.

Lastly, some Leeds fans are terrible, middle aged men shouting and intimidating people after the game, blaming the ref. They had enough chances at our line from our mistakes to pinch it and they couldn't do it, don't go blaming the ref. Glad we beat them, whoppers.
    Last edited by The frenchman; 22nd February 2019 at 23:13.

Starting A Programme Collection

I thought Leeds looked like a team that had played the extra game and looked sharper than we did. The stop start to our season has maybe left us a bit under done tonight. Full credit to the boys for the way we turned around the 2nd half. We managed to stop the offloads which killed us in the first half and that in turn gave us more ball in better parts of the field.

As for standouts I thought Theo was brilliant defensively and Thommo and Big Al got us back into the game. Mixed bag tonight really but pleasing to get the win.

At 10-0 we were so much on top it wasn’t true, we should have butchered them from there but we suddenly started giving them the ball in our own half. Second half much better at least in focus and attitude. We were definitely hampered by losing Naiqama so early. Louie had it all to do against Hurrell and they targeted us down that side. Theo did an admirable job keeping them out, had Richardson been alongside Louie I think it would have been carnage

Banned

1st 10 mins, he (Fages) looked fine, but then it seemed he was trying too hard. He picked the wrong man a few times (leading to knock ons) and didn't put anyone through or successfully take on the line.

Lomax's game also went to pot in that 1st half, but he pulled it back second, when he was the main 1st receiver and ball player.

Now I'm home and the adrenaline has subsided, it's really good to see Holbrook changing things round so effectively st half time - meaning he'd been able to identify the problem areas and come up with solutions. Bodes well.

Learning All The Songs

To add, I think after 3 games Paulo is an early contender for worst import ever. I'm staggered how out of his depth he looks.
    agreed.Has done nothing in any of the 3 games

Learning All The Songs

Couldn't see us keeping Leeds out in the second half but fair play to the lads one way or another we managed it. Got to get the goal
    kicking situation sorted .Just shows how important Richardson was last season.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Couldn't see us keeping Leeds out in the second half but fair play to the lads one way or another we managed it. Got to get the goal
    kicking situation sorted .Just shows how important Richardson was last season.
    I agree with the kicking but I think when KN went off, if Richardson would have been playing tonight Leeds would have run riot on that side and we'd be looking at a different game altogether.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

I honestly can’t see Richardson getting back in the side unless there is an injury to one of the half backs.Why not try Tommy Makinson with the goal kicking,from what I remember of his goal kicking he was better than the kickers we have tried so far this season.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    agreed.Has done nothing in any of the 3 games
    I actually thought he did ok tonight. Made good meters after contact and gave some nice passes when linking with the backs. I think he will get better the more minutes he plays. He’s not played a great deal so far.

If KN doesn’t play on Thursday we will have to make changes - Makinson or Costello to replace him? Swift to be drafted in?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    If KN doesn’t play on Thursday we will have to make changes - Makinson or Costello to replace him? Swift to be drafted in?
    As it's confirmed concussion, he will be missing (sheer bad luck with the game timings). I'd go Makinson-Swift on the right.

In The South Stand

As it's confirmed concussion, he will be missing (sheer bad luck with the game timings). I'd go Makinson-Swift on the right.
    I would go with that option,Swift needs game time and Makinson can cover well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    I actually thought he did ok tonight. Made good meters after contact and gave some nice passes when linking with the backs. I think he will get better the more minutes he plays. He’s not played a great deal so far.
    Agreed. He was good in the second half. To me he looks much better when he gets his head down and takes the ball in.

I also though Paulo did a decent job tonight. Made good yards and directed play well. It’s a strange role he is playing really, off the bench but almost like a traditional loose forward. It must be difficult to stamp your mark on the game

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Douglas playing really well for Leigh thier speccies couldn't believe how saints have shoved him there , had a really good game against Fev , which I mentioned somewhere last week .
    Just highlights the gulf between SL and Championship