Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 19 Man Squad v Leeds

In The South Stand

Grace is a long way off either Sullivan or Albert. But he is young and only played 60 games so he has time on his side and with good coaching could go on to be a decent player.

Come on, give Grace a break, If he's being spotted it's up to Holbrook to sort out. As for greats in defence, my old man said Voll was weak but made up for that with his trys. Give Grace time.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Post 223 not only compares Grace to Sullivan and Albert but says he’s as good as Sullivan and could be as good as Albert. The most ridiculous post I’ve read on this forum.
    SaintH517 I said that I think Grace is more elusive than Sully or Albert. Have a look at some of his games from debut to now on Saints TV, he beats men for fun sometimes, in closed and open play. I have not seen him caught in open space yet because he has not been given a run in with daylight in front of him (Cas CC the only exception) I saw his U19`s match where he went the length with Davis and Gildart chasing, he scored. I also saw Newlove give Sully a clear run in and Dallas caught him within 20m, as I stated earlier Albert was caught by Radlinski in CC Final with daylight in front of him, these are all on youtube. Regan has serious wheels, yes his speed endurance is not there yet, that will be in the next few years if he develops as he is. If you think that is the most ridiculous post you have read on this forum so be it. You said he always gets dominated, then how has he made so many breaks returning the ball, from his debut to Friday`s match if he is always dominated? Definitive posts with the word always are ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Darren Albert, that's some yardstick. Other than Vollenhoven as good as I have seen at Saints,
    I’m with you, best I’ve seen in my 30 odd years. Not to decry Grace, I was just disagreeing with the point made about Grace being a better winger once his defence improves. He’s a capable enough player and his speed creates opportunities for others further down the field even if he doesn’t finish the chance off. His all round game is improving which is all you can ask for

Learning All The Songs

Darren Albert, that's some yardstick. Other than Vollenhoven as good as I have seen at Saints,
    Did not see Vollenhoven, but since watching from 1978 Les Jones the best I have seen.
    Honorable mentions to Mathias, Ledger, Quirk, Hunty, Sully and Albert.
    Oh and Brimah

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I’m with you, best I’ve seen in my 30 odd years. Not to decry Grace, I was just disagreeing with the point made about Grace being a better winger once his defence improves. He’s a capable enough player and his speed creates opportunities for others further down the field even if he doesn’t finish the chance off. His all round game is improving which is all you can ask for
    It's difficult to judge players in isolation.

It's the players inside who need to create the space for a winger.
    Newlove was an attacking threat in his own right but he attracted defenders and usually put Sullivan away with a clear run
    Imagine if Grace was outside a Meninga, Lyon or Gidley
    Percival is a strong runner but he just seems to do his own thing and usually only looks to Grace when he can't go any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    It's difficult to judge players in isolation.

It's the players inside who need to create the space for a winger.
    Newlove was an attacking threat in his own right but he attracted defenders and usually put Sullivan away with a clear run
    Imagine if Grace was outside a Meninga, Lyon or Gidley
    Percival is a strong runner but he just seems to do his own thing and usually only looks to Grace when he can't go any further.
    Good points

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Good points
    In the last 10 years or so I struggle to remember us stopping an opponent catching an intercept pass. However I used to oddly want it to happen when Darren Albert played for us just to watch him race back and pull down the man with the ball. Exquisite memories and privileged to see it.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I just think he’s a player who’s still learning the game, he’s still coming to grips with the decision making side of it. I think Grace’s game is suffering because teams are trying to limit Tommy Makinson’s effectivness. Makinson is one of the best in the league at carrying the ball in his own half but if you kick to Grace, Makinson’s got to run to the other side of the field to make a carry. It takes Makinson out of the game for a set and as has been said, Grace isn’t the biggest winger so the contact takes its toll, it tires him out and you’ve got more of a chance of him making a poor read in defence or missing a tackle. It’ll be interesting to see how he deals with that. I suppose the risk with that is you kick poorly and he makes a break like he did on Friday. I’ve seen him get some stick again this week but Zeb Taia, 150 m against Leeds down that left edge. That certainly helps take the pressure off Grace and Percival in that respect.

I’m a fan of Swift as well, he’s a more direct winger who’s got some physicality about him but it’s hard because he doesn’t play enough. He’s just prone to errors and that’s his problem. If he plays this week, that’ll be his first match since the Hull friendly. I’m not sure when his last game was before that.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I just think he’s a player who’s still learning the game, he’s still coming to grips with the decision making side of it. I think Grace’s game is suffering because teams are trying to limit Tommy Makinson’s effectivness. Makinson is one of the best in the league at carrying the ball in his own half but if you kick to Grace, Makinson’s got to run to the other side of the field to make a carry. It takes Makinson out of the game for a set and as has been said, Grace isn’t the biggest winger so the contact takes its toll, it tires him out and you’ve got more of a chance of him making a poor read in defence or missing a tackle. It’ll be interesting to see how he deals with that. I suppose the risk with that is you kick poorly and he makes a break like he did on Friday. I’ve seen him get some stick again this week but Zeb Taia, 150 m against Leeds down that left edge. That certainly helps take the pressure off Grace and Percival in that respect.

I’m a fan of Swift as well, he’s a more direct winger who’s got some physicality about him but it’s hard because he doesn’t play enough. He’s just prone to errors and that’s his problem. If he plays this week, that’ll be his first match since the Hull friendly. I’m not sure when his last game was before that.
    I remember Swift having a couple of games last year, I think one was Cats. I may be wrong, but from memory I don't remember him doing anything wrong in those games. I think he may have got a knock and lost his place again. A couple of weeks ago I questioned what was happening with him: no DR,no loan and not making the squad.

Learning All The Songs

Been away for the weekend so only just watched the game back. Scrappy game but to keep Leeds scoreless in the second half after conceding 22 points on the bounce shows that it's a great win. Also we're 3 games into the season and have beat Leeds & Wigan already. Thought the front row was excellent Thommo Roby & Walmsley won us that game and showed why they're the best front row in the comp for me.
    Not into bagging players for poor performances like some on here but Paulo really needs to up his game in my opinion, and I wouldn't be unhappy if that's the last of Amor we see for a while.

Starting A Programme Collection

I remember Swift having a couple of games last year, I think one was Cats. I may be wrong, but from memory I don't remember him doing anything wrong in those games. I think he may have got a knock and lost his place again. A couple of weeks ago I questioned what was happening with him: no DR,no loan and not making the squad.
    Injury prone. Out again for this reason.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    Been away for the weekend so only just watched the game back. Scrappy game but to keep Leeds scoreless in the second half after conceding 22 points on the bounce shows that it's a great win. Also we're 3 games into the season and have beat Leeds & Wigan already. Thought the front row was excellent Thommo Roby & Walmsley won us that game and showed why they're the best front row in the comp for me.
    Not into bagging players for poor performances like some on here but Paulo really needs to up his game in my opinion, and I wouldn't be unhappy if that's the last of Amor we see for a while.
    From what I've seen of Paulo so far this season he seems to be quite good defensively with the lowest missed tackle count in the team, its his creative attacking play which is in short supply. Sometimes I get him mixed up with Peyroux need to check the colour of boots, we are also only 3 games in so far, a bit to early to judge maybe after 6 games perhaps.

Costello to start for KN on Thursday.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Just read Swift has had surgery on his groin and isn’t fit mate.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Costello to start for KN on Thursday.
    He was told pretty much straight after the game on Friday and was pulled out of Leigh’s game yesterday.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Thanks. First I had heard of it.

Learning All The Songs

That lad has had bad luck with injuries the last few seasons, he had his shoulder rebuilt twice (I think the same one) now this, read that he was hoping for a chance after getting a good pre season behind him. I wish him well and hope he recovers fully.