Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: 19 Man Squad v Leeds

Learning All The Songs

Credit were it is due, Leeds did well to get back into the game, a few posted on here that Hurrell was a washed up flat track bully, can we sign up one like that, Loholea was overated and has been for years, yeah right. Dom misread a few times making the LMS match up with Hurrell more one sided. Small margins in games like that, Percy passes to Johnny at 10 nil up and the game is over,the Zeb off load and lost ball at critical times aswell, you can forgive those as his defence is excellent and he made a few good brakes tonight, he also defended in the middle when Robes went to shore up the right side. Have to disagree with most, Paulo`s defence is much better than Dom`s and he showed a few nice touches. Well done Saints we would have lost that game last year Big Al helps Tommo to add the steel we were missing in the tough ones. Great game and superb advert for our sport.
    Is goal kicking gonna bite us on the arse?

Learning All The Songs

Pleased to just get the win with a good second half. A great response after the capitulation in the first half and they did a good job on Hurrell in the second half after he ran riot in the first. Although we’re only 3 games in there are a few players who’ve been really poor so far and need to improve massively: Lees, Peyroux, Paulo and Amor in particular have been disappointing and I think questions need to be asked about Regan Grace who looked out of his depth yet again. To be 3 out of 3 with quite a few players playing nowhere near their best is pleasing and we should only improve. I am concerned about our lack of X factor though.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Credit were it is due, Leeds did well to get back into the game, a few posted on here that Hurrell was a washed up flat track bully, can we sign up one like that, Loholea was overated and has been for years, yeah right. Dom misread a few times making the LMS match up with Hurrell more one sided. Small margins in games like that, Percy passes to Johnny at 10 nil up and the game is over,the Zeb off load and lost ball at critical times aswell, you can forgive those as his defence is excellent and he made a few good brakes tonight, he also defended in the middle when Robes went to shore up the right side. Have to disagree with most, Paulo`s defence is much better than Dom`s and he showed a few nice touches. Well done Saints we would have lost that game last year Big Al helps Tommo to add the steel we were missing in the tough ones. Great game and superb advert for our sport.
    Is goal kicking gonna bite us on the arse?
    Agree with most of that but I thought Lolohea was really poor and cost Leeds by going himself when it looked a certain try if he had passed.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

We started OK and we had control of the game first 20 minutes or so. Had we been a little bit more clinical, we could potentially have added another try or two as well. I thought our starting pack laid a good platform and really troubled them, we had a couple of 4 v 3’s on the edge that we capitalised from as a result of their carries through the middle and we created opportunities when we got down their end of the field.

We certainly made it hard for ourselves after that and we brought Leeds into the game with our own errors. We made some poor decisions defensively, there were some uncharacteristic errors being made individually as well (we lost the ball from the kick off after the Lomax try, Roby threw a couple of uncharacteristic passes, Percival was slightly off with some of his decision making etc) and we made a couple of errors by trying to force the play when it wasn’t needed. They started to control the pace of the game and they’ve always been a team who like to offload the ball which they did on the back of that. Late offloads strip the defence of numbers and when you’re stripped for numbers on your own line, any half decent team will make the most of it which they did. Obviously losing Naquima and having a forward defending out there only added to those problems, particularly against Hurrell in the form he was in.

I always felt that we’d be able to come back as long as we stopped gifting them possession, the majority of what Leeds did well in the first half came on the back of Saints mistakes and second half I thought we were better. Leeds will be disappointed with some of their defensive efforts but I thought our contact was better defensively and we were able to slow them down a little bit. Again, the pack deserve a lot of credit for that and the team showed a lot of spirit and effort to keep Leeds out towards the back end of the game.

We’re still not at our best but we’ve started the season off by winning three really tough games. They showed a lot of character again today.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 23rd February 2019 at 01:25.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    If KN doesn’t play on Thursday we will have to make changes - Makinson or Costello to replace him? Swift to be drafted in?
    Joe Bachelor is playing centre ATM for York

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    I honestly can’t see Richardson getting back in the side unless there is an injury to one of the half backs.Why not try Tommy Makinson with the goal kicking,from what I remember of his goal kicking he was better than the kickers we have tried so far this season.
    My guess is that we will see some player rotation leading up to the Easter programme, at the moment I would like to see Luke Douglas back in the side and give Matty Lees a rest he,s missing quite a few tackles and not making enough metres.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by djh1972 View Post
    Would you seriously put him there before Peyroux???
    I don’t understand the shouts of “move Peyroux to centre”. He is the weakest tackler in the team now with Richardson at Leigh, and Hurrell would have had an even easier walking day in Belfast. Bar that odd run Peyroux does with his sidestep he is very average. I thought Lms did a great job in the centres. Why didn’t Lomax or Mako have a go at GK.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    My guess is that we will see some player rotation leading up to the Easter programme, at the moment I would like to see Luke Douglas back in the side and give Matty Lees a rest he,s missing quite a few tackles and not making enough metres.
    I thought Lees played well last night, he did look jaded but how many minutes was he on the pitch and I think he came on when we were defending our backs off. It seemed a long time. Only bringing Amor on for 20 or so minutes I’m not sure whether that’s the best tactic. Obviously we were down on subs though with the rule changes and then Naiqama going off for LMS first thing, that was a big factor LMS is still a very underrated part of our pack for me.

I’d bring Douglas/Ashworth back in for Amor. I’d leave Lees out there he fronted up we’ll against the Leeds pack who were much improved. Amor did OK and to be fair was unfortunate with the ball that flew at him and led to a knock on, I feared when he came on though that we needed something more and still feel the same.

Also feel Paulo needs to run it in more, we needed it with LMS going on at centre. He got the ball one run and I said to my mate ‘I’ve not seen him get tackled yet’ long behold he got tackled that run then did a few good runs after it. I’m sure Holbrook would have been in his ear.

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I don’t understand the shouts of “move Peyroux to centre”. He is the weakest tackler in the team now with Richardson at Leigh, and Hurrell would have had an even easier walking day in Belfast. Bar that odd run Peyroux does with his sidestep he is very average. I thought Lms did a great job in the centres. Why didn’t Lomax or Mako have a go at GK.
    Whoever played centre to Hurrel would have had a torrid time, the adjustment to put an extra man on that side when defending worked to a certain degree. LMS and Makinson both missed 5 tackles most of them in the first half. Hurrel looks a good buy for Leeds if they can keep him fit, we need to come up with something to negate his play next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I thought Lees played well last night, he did look jaded but how many minutes was he on the pitch and I think he came on when we were defending our backs off. It seemed a long time. Only bringing Amor on for 20 or so minutes I’m not sure whether that’s the best tactic. Obviously we’re were down on subs though with the rule changes and then Naiqama going off for LMS first thing, that was a big factor LMS is still a very underrated part of our pack for me.

I’d bring Douglas/Ashworth back in for Amor. I’d leave Lees out there he fronted up we’ll against the Leeds pack who were much improved.

Also feel Paulo needs to run it in more, we needed it with LMS going on at centre. He got the ball one run and I said to my mate ‘I’ve not seen him get tackled yet’ long behold he got tackled that run then did a few good runs after it. I’m sure Holbrook would have been in his ear.
    I think LMS going centre disrupted our game plans on using our forwards, Douglas can do long minutes has a very low missed tackle and error count which tightens up our defence, Matty Lees is more dynamic easier on the eye quicker into the tackle and quicker running the ball to the opposition but he's not taking pressure off our front rowers at the moment, its early days yet though. Amor although slower like an "oil tanker" was attracting the extra defender which at times gave us a bit of space for Lomax on the next play.

I think LMS going centre disrupted our game plans on using our forwards, Douglas can do long minutes has a very low missed tackle and error count which tightens up our defence, Matty Lees is more dynamic easier on the eye quicker into the tackle and quicker running the ball to the opposition but he's not taking pressure off our front rowers at the moment, its early days yet though. Amor although slower like an "oil tanker" was attracting the extra defender which at times gave us a bit of space for Lomax on the next play.
    Yes I agree. We could still go with Walmsley on the bench to make sure we’ve always got that impact when required however again I feel like we would of had enough with LMS and Lees if LMS didn’t have to come on at centre.

For me Paulo still needs to prove his worth otherwise give Bentley/Batchelor a chance and Holbrook needs to bring Douglas/Ashworth back in for Amor.

I thought Lees’s first spell was a bit iffy, but he was much better in his second - I can remember a couple of really big carries.

Starting A Programme Collection

Great to get he win last night without playing well but our poor ball control worried me. Absolutely in full control of the game, and although losing KN was a problem, it was coughing up the ball that put us in trouble in the first place. Reminded me of the Catalans SF at one stage. However, the massive positive was that we managed to turn it around at half time which was, for me, what gives me confidence for this year, as I think we'd have lost that game 9 times out of 10 last season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Getting an injury to a back last night highlighted how vulnerable we are if we get an injury there. Should we be looking at changing the make up of the bench? Especially if one of the forwards is hardly used anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    I think questions need to be asked about Regan Grace who looked out of his depth yet again.
    FFS. He missed that one tackle (great footwork by Briscoe), and got dragged into touch once. Other than that, faultless under the high ball, some strong defence, and made the brilliant break that culminated in our 2nd try.

In the absence of Richardson, has your agenda switched focus now?

Learning All The Songs

Paulo was one of the better players tonight. I think some are getting him mixed up with Taia who again had a nightmare for most of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Paulo was one of the better players tonight. I think some are getting him mixed up with Taia who again had a nightmare for most of the game.
    Quite a few around me moaned at Paulo when Taia made a mistake and credited Taia for some of his drives so I think it’s quite possible that he doesn’t get the credit he deserves. The stats show that he made 25 tackles with 2 misses (his first of the season) and made an average of 10 metres for each of his 6 carries so not a bad effort given the short time that he was on the pitch. He also releases the ball often to allow others to carry on the attack rather than just die with it.

He did ok when he actually started to run the ball in.
    Definitely wouldn’t say he was one of the better performers, easy to compare him with Taia who made a number of errors. Still has a lot to prove for me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I think Taia sometimes gets given a bad game because of his knock ons, however he made 156 metres on looking on the superleague site, 20 odd more than anyone else (I know he does 80 minutes)

As for Paulo, thought he was okay last night

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Leeds played could I say "total football " just passed the ball at every opportunity and booted it downfield when the time was right , Leeds have played that way against us on the last few occasions especially the same fixture last season , and when we lost our centre , they did exactly what they did when we lost "Shenton" in a grand final a few years ago . Last year the same fixture we " bottled it" this year the lads had a great second half , ball retention , stopping the offload and keeping Leeds down to 2 points was an absolute a credit to the team .
    Last edited by roy litherland; 23rd February 2019 at 11:57.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

We went into panic mode a touch on that right side with Hurrell being a danger and Louie filling in there. We had players trying to cover for him a little bit and help him out but that left gaps elsewhere. This was exacerbated by us dropping the ball repeatedly in the second quarter of the game. I think with Naiqama on the field and more composure as a result, we’d have gone on from 10-0 to win a lot more comfortably.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Good player Dwyer. Hes murdering us.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Dwyer is a good little professional but our tackle intensity was very poor and we allowed too many quick PTB's. I think there has been something said to the players to avoid penalties for lying on but there is a balance to be made and we jumped off the tackle far too quickly.

Default 19 Man Squad v Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    FFS. He missed that one tackle (great footwork by Briscoe), and got dragged into touch once. Other than that, faultless under the high ball, some strong defence, and made the brilliant break that culminated in our 2nd try.

In the absence of Richardson, has your agenda switched focus now?
    You must have watched a different game. Was also woefully out of position for their first try, he was practically in the Leeds line instead of holding.

He’s a liability in defence, very lightweight. Either under the high ball or positional wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That try was right in front of us and, without having seen a replay, it looked to me like he was just massively outnumbered and he had to charge in and try to close the play down

Learning All The Songs

There were a few mistakes from Percival & Grace last night. Maybe just early season rustiness hopefully. In the 2nd half Percival threw a speculative ball out to Grace and it either went behind Grace or went into touch and then Percival had a go at him, maybe he wanted Grace nearer? For whatever reason though there doesnt seem to be that automatic understanding you get between some centres & wingers.