Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Luther Burrell

Fans clearly excited by signing of new union convert.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    As much as we, and everyone else, like to mock the Wolfs, it really is only a matter of time before they not only win Super League, but dominate it. Over the next 10 years they really could become like the Wigan of the 90s where English RL was bordering on Scottish football.

Leeds are a mess and will take a few years to fix, even if the coach they have is capable. They don't have an owner willing to invest in players to achieve success quickly.
    Wigan are a mess. They have taken a huge step backwards on last year in terms of players and have an inexperienced coach. Edwards returning looks unlikely now. They'll always be strong because of the strength of their youth system, but they aren't going to win anything for a while.
    Saints are the Arsenal of RL. We're happy with mediocrity and won't match Warrington in terms of the investment they are putting in. We're short this year and won't make signings very often at the required level to win trophies. Sure there will be a 'season ticket maintenance' signing every few years to stop the growing unrest, but we won't be busting a gut every year.

The only thing stopping Warrington currently is their lack of a youth system and the salary cap. They'll keep the spending up until they do it and I'm not convinced they'll stop there either.
    They brought Peter Ridings who was very well regarded at cas to run there under 19s last year I expect there youth development to show a big improvement now he's there

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Hi Brian, you take this board far too seriously.
    You couldn’t be more wrong, but that should be an all too familiar feeling to you.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    They brought Peter Ridings who was very well regarded at cas to run there under 19s last year I expect there youth development to show a big improvement now he's there
    Wire have seven players in the England development squad, only one less than Leeds, Saints or Wigan.

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2019/02/...ormance-squad/

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't watch a lot of Union and haven't heard of Burrell the last couple of years, but when he played for England he was a big fast centre. Apparently it was his decision to leave Northampton and go to Warrington, so he may be a decent player for next couple of years.
    Unfortunately for him he had a horrible first 20 minutes against Australia a couple of years ago and didn’t get another chance after that. Owen Farrell then got the 12 shirt and obviously Manu Tuilagi has it at the minute.

Every signing has a risk, perhaps he’s a bigger risk than most in the circumstances but I think he’s got some attributes that are transferable. I suppose the rest depends on how hard he’s willing to work.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    You may want to actually read what he posts, rather than your childish, knee jerk reaction...you might learn something.
    Possible, but given the predilection of the poster (which L.S.F. is criticising) for having a one eyed view of the sport and name calling a certain team in a derogatory fashion on other sites then visiting said team's site to pass comments I think it's probably that poster who is being rather childish.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Wire have seven players in the England development squad, only one less than Leeds, Saints or Wigan.

I didn't mean they didn't have good young talent just that they will benefit and improve with Pete Ridings there now

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Possible, but given the predilection of the poster (which L.S.F. is criticising) for having a one eyed view of the sport and name calling a certain team in a derogatory fashion on other sites then visiting said team's site to pass comments I think it's probably that poster who is being rather childish.
    Beautifully surmised.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Good for the game for me. But a very interesting thread about lack of homegrown players at wire.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Unfortunately for him he had a horrible first 20 minutes against Australia a couple of years ago and didn’t get another chance after that. Owen Farrell then got the 12 shirt and obviously Manu Tuilagi has it at the minute.

Every signing has a risk, perhaps he’s a bigger risk than most in the circumstances but I think he’s got some attributes that are transferable. I suppose the rest depends on how hard he’s willing to work.
    I think your last sentence says it all.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Interesting article from Sky re Burrell and the Salary Cap.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...ves-salary-cap

Learning All The Songs

It’s a bit of a gamble, but doesn’t take up any cap space for his first year.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Good for the game for me. But a very interesting thread about lack of homegrown players at wire.
    Fair comment, and the lack of development of young players has been a cause for concern.

Got A Season Ticket

To be fair, he must want to try his hand at the game, considering the difference between RL wage caps and RU Wage Caps - even at his age he could get a place in a RU team and earn much more than he will get at Warrington - no matter what the dispensation around the value showing on the SC says

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

They've not done too badly this season with about five players who have come through their academy and of course there is Ben Currie who will come back into the team when he is fit. That's probably about average or just above for the Superleague.
    You know my thoughts about reducing the number of overseas players over here.

Are young players drawn to success? Will they be more inclined to go to a club who give them a first team chance? It's a combination IMO.
    You of all people know Ben is a Wigan lad - went to Wire at 16 as they offered the better deal, but he really isn't their product as such.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    I didn't mean they didn't have good young talent just that they will benefit and improve with Pete Ridings there now
    I was agreeing with you. Apologies if it came accross differently.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    You of all people know Ben is a Wigan lad - went to Wire at 16 as they offered the better deal, but he really isn't their product as such.
    Who's product is he?

Upside
    Non Members

Development is difficult to measure

Wigan like Man U in the 90s always sign the best young talent available at 14, it's of no surprise that they then turn a large amount of professional players into the sport

Is it fair to say these clubs are better at developing p,ayers when they sign the best players in the first place?

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by l.s.f View Post
    yes mate. So you're admitting you are in fact brian? no

and i'm the childish one. yes
    [

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Who's product is he?
    Ben is from Golborne, he was at Wigan until he was 16 and Wire offered him the best terms so he went there. But he's a Wigan lad through and through really, and although did the last couple of years of academy at Wire, I'd argue he's really Wigan. Bet they're gutted they didn't splash out that bit extra to keep him. Who is to say had he been elsewhere, he may not have suffered the same injuries etc, it's all down to luck really. He's a very genuine lad and a very good player.

Got A Season Ticket

Thats 7 out of an initial squad of 68!!....doesnt prove anything about Warringtons youth development. They may not get any in the final squad??

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Development is difficult to measure

Wigan like Man U in the 90s always sign the best young talent available at 14, it's of no surprise that they then turn a large amount of professional players into the sport

Is it fair to say these clubs are better at developing p,ayers when they sign the best players in the first place?
    They dont "always sign the best young talent available at 14". They would rip your arm off if they were offered and could have signed the top young talent that Saints have signed in the passed couple of years on scholarship and full contracts.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Call it what you will,the fact is it will generate headlines and raise the profile of Warrington and the game. To be honest it makes a nice change players coming into our game rather than leaving it.
    I can’t understand people saying that it’s good for rugby league.? How, exactly? Wire are getting a player that’s coming to the end of his union career, would probably have found it difficult to get another decent contract in union, whilst accepted, he played a few games for England RU, hasn’t exactly set the union world alight. Has only played just over 200 games in a 13 year union career, averaging around 16 games a year in a profession where the clubs play an average of 30 to 35 games a season and unlike league have an 8 man subs bench (all of which can be used), so either he gets injured a lot (not a good sign when trying to make the step up to the physicality of League) or he’s been deemed not good enough (and if so, why is he classed a good signing for Wire?). I think that Wire have used this more for publicity than anything else, as over the last 20 years, for every decent convert from union to league, there are 20 from league to union, which in itself paints a pretty vivid picture. It would be akin to a union side making a big song and dance because they’ve signed someone like Jarrod Sammutt.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Well 6 posts in it's clear to see your intellect is going to be a force to be reckoned with.
    And there was me thinking it was a symbol universally understood, Google may help, or if there is an adult in your house ask them.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    They dont "always sign the best young talent available at 14". They would rip your arm off if they were offered and could have signed the top young talent that Saints have signed in the passed couple of years on scholarship and full contracts.

Fair enough, saints have signed some great young players, as have others, they do work very hard to get the best in though

I think my point was more around the fact that the better players you sign at 14 the more likely you are to create top rugby players, so it's not always a direct measure of your system or coaching

If you considered how much improvement in the players it would be more accurate, an average player becoming very good for example, or a rough diamond being polished etc.