Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TV rights

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    What are you going on about the PC Brigade for?? Someone asked why a presenter had to be attractive. Hardly a mob of Guardianistas outside your door with pitch forks and torches.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Quite. Something of a straw man rant going on here.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    You can do better than that. It's not difficult to grasp. I'm not saying that they can't be attractive. Only that they don't have to be. The idea that cheerleaders can't be journalists is not something I have suggested. I was pointing out that cheerleading is different to presenting. One you need looks for, one you don't.

That you have to resort to insults says much. I'm really sorry that the world is moving on without you but every time you scream 'PC' you just expose the fact that you're miffed that sexism is now frowned upon.
    I’m fairly sure that cheer leaders can be journalists. And vice versa. On the other hand they don’t have to be. It’s quite hard to take this whole conversation seriously. So I won’t. Sexism, on the other hand, is serious. Which is Stephens point I think. Welcome to the 21st century.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Was it Makker and Ken Davy who were opposed to the deadline at that time?
    No idea mate. I just remember clubs wanting to negotiate and being told it was basically take it or leave it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Yeah the BT deal was more flexible and financially better than our Sky offering. Are you saying our RFL chiefs lacked negotiation skills at that time?
    The free to air games are interesting and does that include the Heineken Cup? The reason I ask is because over here the national broadcaster shows both Leinster and Munster matches of that comp. Is that the same as the BBC showing CC? The Pro14 is on Premier Sports yet some of those two`s matches are also shown on the national broadcaster channel.
    Different deals. BT paid £200m for another 6 years of Premiership RU (so less per season than the Sky SL deal), with C5 also showing 5 live games and weekly highlights.

BT also have live rights to Heineken Cup and pay extra for that, with C4 showing a live game FTA from every round up to and including the Final. So RU are getting 4 income sources, with 2 large lots from BT and two smaller ones from C4 and C5.

We on the other hand get the Sky money plus a bit from BBC for Challenge Cup and internationals (inc. 2021 World Cup). I'm sure Sky would love CC exclusivity but because the Final had to be FTA they've accepted a secondary role and the BBC won the rights to the first pick games.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

We're very lucky to have the challenge cup final as part of the 'crown jewels' when you consider what events we're alongside.

The worry is like test match cricket, that could easily be changed

Noooobie

Wouldn’t mind an attractive male presenter for a change��

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    It really isn't, the fact is men can do some things women can't and vice versa. Why people are so intent on saying otherwise?

And before any of the feminists on here get their unisex underwear in a twist, my team in work includes several women who are excellent at their jobs and some of whom are attractive, they work in a male dominated industry and are paid the same as their male counterparts. Some of them will sometimes say bad words and even go as far as to come to the pub, where guess what, there's other women (not sure I'm allowed to refer to them as women).

Get a grip you sad, self righteous losers.
    Oh dear! Sexual differences and sexism are not the same thing at all. Not only are men and women different but everyone is different. Sexism is about demeaning women or seeing them as sex objects. I’m sure you have lots of friends who are women

It really isn't, the fact is men can do some things women can't and vice versa. Why people are so intent on saying otherwise?

And before any of the feminists on here get their unisex underwear in a twist, my team in work includes several women who are excellent at their jobs and some of whom are attractive, they work in a male dominated industry and are paid the same as their male counterparts. Some of them will sometimes say bad words and even go as far as to come to the pub, where guess what, there's other women (not sure I'm allowed to refer to them as women).

Get a grip you sad, self righteous losers.
    Why do you and Prez keep responding to points that haven't been made?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by dursleysaint View Post
    Wouldn’t mind an attractive male presenter for a change��

Each to their own dear.

Learning All The Songs

There's no "oh dear" about it, you're trying to make an issue out something that isn't an issue. I'm not trying to sexualise anything, nor was I being sexist. Is it demeaning for a woman to earn a wage on the back of her being good at her job and having a pretty face? I'm sure Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, the SSN ladies, Francesca Cumani, Alex Scott and countless others would disagree. Is it also wrong for my wife to think that Jon Wilkin is good looking? Of course it isn't, it's a perfectly normal human trait. I'd suggest you probably haven't had much luck with the men/ladies in the past.
    And yes, I do have female friends, friends that I don't feel the need to jump into bed with, friends that can take a joke, make a joke and not be offended. It's repressed weirdo's like you that make life difficult with your PC, right on bollocks.
    You have no idea whether I’m repressed or a weirdo. I doubt that you actually know what repression is. Also I didn’t accuse you of anything. I just pointed out that sexual differences and sexism isn’t the same thing. I’m not going indulge in insulting you personally. Having read your posts I just plan to ignore you and I don’t mind if you do the same

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I can't remember her first name but her surname is Quirke, if we're thinking of the same person? If so, I think she works on football with BT now. Yes, I agree, she was good.
    So BT sports are going to bid for the TV rights and get Pauline Quirk as their anchor ? I think that might work !

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Ok Mr Snowflake, maybe we should have women playing with the men too so they don't feel left out. People like you do my box in.
    Why are you calling someone by your own descript as in "Little Snow Flake"!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Why do you and Prez keep responding to points that haven't been made?
    I'll try this one more time, then you can all argue the case as you wish. I was trying to put the case that our game is marketed as ENTERTAINMENT. If you look for example at any local TV weather presenters (male or female), despite there being an ongoing obesity crisis (especially in the NW), they're all built like female/male models. That's because although they're all qualified to do what they do, it's ENTERTAINMENT. Look at the presenters of NW tonight, anyone overweight there? No. The national news? No. Attractive sells, it just does. The media is full of attractive people, whom I guess are good at their jobs. Nevertheless in the vast majority of cases these people appearing on the visual medium are attractive. I criticised Powers for her presentation and then said it would be nice to have an attractive presenter. Somehow I'm a sexist? How does that work? I'm thinking of ways of promoting our game. Should we ban the Saints Angels from performing because that's degrading and that little kids dancing at half time is demeaning and sexist? It's done to promote the game! Is the NFL sexist to have cheerleaders, it just goes on and on. The sport needs competent media presenters and if they're attractive, well that's a bonus, so why not have the bonus? It's all rather daft that some on here are deliberately trying to spin my argument in a different way. Tanya Arnold is far more professional than Powers and in my opinion better looking, does that make me sexist? Look at how people argue on our site regarding the aesthetics of our team shirts, they all have different opinions on what they like to look at, but at the end of the day it's just a bl**dy shirt and doesn't help us win or lose matches. But we like the most attractive ones don't we? And before anyone says it, I'm not comparing people to shirts, I'm illustrating a point that people like attractive things. It's what sells in advertising and ENTERTAINMENT, which just happens to be the game we're in. If anyone has been offended about my opinions, then I'm truly sorry, I took part in this thread to try and get a debate about how to sell the game. I've seen no conclusive argument put forward that having competent attractive presenters (male or female) wouldn't help. Along with the other things I've said, a magazine show, going behind the scenes at clubs , etc, etc. I will not be cowed in my opinions by having a label pinned on me which I don't deserve.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Re the female presenters: When Clare Balding started she didn't know the first thing about league, but she made an effort and learned. She managed to make her post match interviews interesting, and though we were always a distant second (pardon the pun) to Horse racing she did show enthusiasm for the game, and Paul Sculthorpe's legs.

Learning All The Songs

Amazed you're still here mate. Standards have slipped since I was last around.
    It’s good to have back Stephen

Upside
    Non Members

Again, I didn't say otherwise, I said the target audience is men, you only need to look around the stadium on matchday to see the majority of spectators are male, that's just a fact. The only thing I'm offended by here is idiots like you playing the PC card and then trying to backtrack and twist things, you sound like that scruffy clown Jeremy Corbyn, plays at being a man of the people when really he's a ••••.
    It's not a fact, your 'evidence' is to 'look around' and you expect that to be taken seriously?

Rugby league has a large proportion of females who follow and watch the game, it isn't and never should be marketed to men only

If people challenge your view your only come back is to plead PC brigade, you know you have run out of sensible arguments when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I'll try this one more time, then you can all argue the case as you wish. I was trying to put the case that our game is marketed as ENTERTAINMENT. If you look for example at any local TV weather presenters (male or female), despite there being an ongoing obesity crisis (especially in the NW), they're all built like female/male models. That's because although they're all qualified to do what they do, it's ENTERTAINMENT. Look at the presenters of NW tonight, anyone overweight there? No. The national news? No. Attractive sells, it just does. The media is full of attractive people, whom I guess are good at their jobs. Nevertheless in the vast majority of cases these people appearing on the visual medium are attractive. I criticised Powers for her presentation and then said it would be nice to have an attractive presenter. Somehow I'm a sexist? How does that work?
    And that is a fair point. But you didn't just make that point. Stephen07 asked whether a woman needed to be attractive to be good at her job and in response you bafflingly accused him of being a man-hater. You then proceeded to reject a number of points that neither he nor anyone else had made (e.g. that there's something wrong with attractive people or that attractive people are too stupid to be journalists).

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I'm thinking of ways of promoting our game. Should we ban the Saints Angels from performing because that's degrading and that little kids dancing at half time is demeaning and sexist? It's done to promote the game! Is the NFL sexist to have cheerleaders, it just goes on and on. The sport needs competent media presenters and if they're attractive, well that's a bonus, so why not have the bonus? It's all rather daft that some on here are deliberately trying to spin my argument in a different way. Tanya Arnold is far more professional than Powers and in my opinion better looking, does that make me sexist? Look at how people argue on our site regarding the aesthetics of our team shirts, they all have different opinions on what they like to look at, but at the end of the day it's just a bl**dy shirt and doesn't help us win or lose matches. But we like the most attractive ones don't we? And before anyone says it, I'm not comparing people to shirts, I'm illustrating a point that people like attractive things. It's what sells in advertising and ENTERTAINMENT, which just happens to be the game we're in. If anyone has been offended about my opinions, then I'm truly sorry, I took part in this thread to try and get a debate about how to sell the game. I've seen no conclusive argument put forward that having competent attractive presenters (male or female) wouldn't help. Along with the other things I've said, a magazine show, going behind the scenes at clubs , etc, etc. I will not be cowed in my opinions by having a label pinned on me which I don't deserve.
    Again, if you had just said that instead of imagining that there was a lynch mob at your door then I don't think this thread would have ended up where it has.

In The South Stand

I’m also pleased your back Stephen. LSF is a good poster when he wants to be but he seems to delight in winding people up. I suspect he isn’t as Neanderthal as he likes to make out.

Got A Season Ticket

:

Well it is nice that someone is pleased about it.
    Welcome back, hope to read your reports again.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Re the female presenters: When Clare Balding started she didn't know the first thing about league, but she made an effort and learned. She managed to make her post match interviews interesting, and though we were always a distant second (pardon the pun) to Horse racing she did show enthusiasm for the game, and Paul Sculthorpe's legs.
    Oh yes lol
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Banned

What did I miss?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

You not kidding. I think he’s on the board at Hattons.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Typical liberal (read leftie) response. Gets pulled up on something and immediately plays, the gender/race/sexuality/whatever card, at best very sad and at worse quite dangerous. I won't admit to being sexist because I wasn't sexist you overly sensitive little man. The only thing that could be remotely taken as sexist was saying men and women can't do certain things the other one can, which is of course an absolute fact.
    Men can't have babies women can't buy a round of drinks.