Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV rights

Upside
    Non Members

Default TV rights

Similar points have come up over current threads but I think this is so important to our future it warrants its own thread.

Our current deal with Sky is in its last year (I think) or at least a new deal is due at the end of the season.

Are we in a strong position to bargain for a good financial deal over a long period? What needs to happen to get a good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Similar points have come up over current threads but I think this is so important to our future it warrants its own thread.

Our current deal with Sky is in its last year (I think) or at least a new deal is due at the end of the season.

Are we in a strong position to bargain for a good financial deal over a long period? What needs to happen to get a good deal?
    Unfortunately I think the answer is a clear 'no'. Since the last deal was signed viewing figures have fallen, the standard of the league has reached a new low, another experiment with the structure of the league has been abandoned and there's been a lot of negative feeling about and within the game. It's hard to see a reason why Sky would decide to improve the current terms and I think it's quite conceivable that they could either offer a reduced contract or just pull out altogether, either of which would be disastrous for the game.

On the plus side, I think negotiations will begin at the end of this year but the current deal actually runs to 2021. That could just give the new SL regime time to turn things around if they get everything right. One thing I will say is that there have been some improvements already in 2019 which should make the game more watchable: the shot clock seems to be sorting out what had become a serious problem in the game, some top English players are choosing to stay over here, and the calibre of imports seems to be on the rise again. I notice this morning, for example, that James Maloney is being linked with a move to SL next year, which is something you just wouldn't have seen 3 years ago. Hopefully this will help to reverse the trend in viewing figures, but the change will have to be quick if it's going to lead to an improved deal.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

The deal is not due to end until the end of the 2021 season (at the earliest)
    L.S.F. I think it's a bit harsh on Elstone when he's only been in the job about eight months and having to sort the mess left by his predecessor.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Unfortunately I think the answer is a clear 'no'. Since the last deal was signed viewing figures have fallen, the standard of the league has reached a new low, another experiment with the structure of the league has been abandoned and there's been a lot of negative feeling about and within the game. It's hard to see a reason why Sky would decide to improve the current terms and I think it's quite conceivable that they could either offer a reduced contract or just pull out altogether, either of which would be disastrous for the game.

On the plus side, I think negotiations will begin at the end of this year but the current deal actually runs to 2021. That could just give the new SL regime time to turn things around if they get everything right. One thing I will say is that there have been some improvements already in 2019 which should make the game more watchable: the shot clock seems to be sorting out what had become a serious problem in the game, some top English players are choosing to stay over here, and the calibre of imports seems to be on the rise again. I notice this morning, for example, that James Maloney is being linked with a move to SL next year, which is something you just wouldn't have seen 3 years ago. Hopefully this will help to reverse the trend in viewing figures, but the change will have to be quick if it's going to lead to an improved deal.

We all seem to accept we are not in a strong position now but we have time to improve. Early signs are very good so we should get behind it
    I'm not sure our game is weak but the NRL has improved so much across standards and economy the comparison has widened significantly. Our game has stagnated and the changes have discredited us as a sport, it's not to late though

Proper league, London joining, Toronto knocking on the door, shot clock all encouraging signs
    Now stop awarding penalties for diving and we could be back up there

In The South Stand

We all seem to accept we are not in a strong position now but we have time to improve. Early signs are very good so we should get behind it
    I'm not sure our game is weak but the NRL has improved so much across standards and economy the comparison has widened significantly. Our game has stagnated and the changes have discredited us as a sport, it's not to late though

Proper league, London joining, Toronto knocking on the door, shot clock all encouraging signs
    Now stop awarding penalties for diving and we could be back up there
    I agree, it's all heading in the right direction for me. I'd like to see the officials start to award penalties for simulation, as some teams (Crust Munchers front and centre) appear to be coached to feign penalties, which was painfully evident against The Roosters. This must be stamped put, rather than just telling them to get up and play on officials should act. Penalising it would soon stop that Premier league style play acting, which none of us want to see.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Good post Dux , the shot clock , scrums has made a massive difference , the likes of Huddersfield who I mention with a sour taste in my mouth will really cut the cheating out . 2 refs will make another big difference and hopefully impose the play the ball . Although it was implemented by sky as "pundits" the difference John Wilkin and JJB , working together was excellent , far better from the normal goon shower.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Good post. I also think we are not in a good place at the moment. I can see the game becoming semi professional in the near future. I think we need a reserve league badly. We need to reward exciting rugby by awarding bonus points for teams when they score five tries in a match or something like that. I would also remove the salary cap and move to a 16 team franchised super league without relegation every year. Allow relegation if a franchise performs poorly consistently over a three year period if there is a suitable replacement.

I think there is a strong case for super league to break from the current arrangement and run itself with self interest at heart

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

We should not tar Elstone with the RFL brush. I think he has been brought in to bring Superleague away from the RFL. Just my opinion.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Default TV rights

With Sky losing sports left right and centre over the last few years you’d think that the power people at the RFL would use it to their advantage. Wasn’t it only a few years ago that RL was the second most watched sport on sky behind premier league football? Surely that should be a bargaining chip?

But knowing the RFL the new deal will include no cash but free sky sports subscriptions for everyone at head office.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Good post. I also think we are not in a good place at the moment. I can see the game becoming semi professional in the near future. I think we need a reserve league badly. We need to reward exciting rugby by awarding bonus points for teams when they score five tries in a match or something like that. I would also remove the salary cap and move to a 16 team franchised super league without relegation every year. Allow relegation if a franchise performs poorly consistently over a three year period if there is a suitable replacement.

I think there is a strong case for super league to break from the current arrangement and run itself with self interest at heart
    I think that's already happened, Pasty.

Learning All The Songs

I think that's already happened, Pasty.
    I didn’t realise that. I thought it was on the cards though. Thanks Dux

I didn’t realise that. I thought it was on the cards though. Thanks Dux
    When they voted over the structure of the league last summer they were also voting on who has responsibility for what. The SL faction won the vote and since then the clubs have basically been in charge of everything to do with SL with the RFL concentrating on the community game, lower leagues and challenge cup. I think Elstone & Co. have got off to a good start, but they've got a real job on their hands when it comes to TV negotiations.

Learning All The Songs

When they voted over the structure of the league last summer they were also voting on who has responsibility for what. The SL faction won the vote and since then the clubs have basically been in charge of everything to do with SL with the RFL concentrating on the community game, lower leagues and challenge cup. I think Elstone & Co. have got off to a good start, but they've got a real job on their hands when it comes to TV negotiations.
    Agreed. I wonder whether the growth of things like Amazon Prime and Netflix will help us? Anyway we need a better product to sell. The new rules are helping in my view. Something to stop cheating at the PTB would help a lot too.

I still think Sky is our best bet

2 refs, penalise play acting, shame those responsible for it and introduce a mandatory reserve league then I think we have a solid base to build on again

Can’t see Sky pulling out altogether. They’ve lost too much sport already

Upside
    Non Members

Agreed. I wonder whether the growth of things like Amazon Prime and Netflix will help us? Anyway we need a better product to sell. The new rules are helping in my view. Something to stop cheating at the PTB would help a lot too.

I still think Sky is our best bet

Only if they would pay Sky money, which I believe they wouldn't even get close

Only if they would pay Sky money, which I believe they wouldn't even get close

We don’t necessarily need them to beat Sky, just show an interest so that Sky have a credible rival. Then SL would have the upper hand in negotiation. If there’s no rival, we have to accept Sky’s silver.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    The deal is not due to end until the end of the 2021 season (at the earliest)
    L.S.F. I think it's a bit harsh on Elstone when he's only been in the job about eight months and having to sort the mess left by his predecessor.
    Correct! but this can't be said about Ralph Rimmer, part of the problem in the days of his former boss Nigel Woods, only The RFL would choose a replacement for Woods, someone who worked with him on Failure! and it still continues.

The treatment of Manchester Rangers with their application to join Division One in The RFL is another complete farce, based at Eastlands, first class facilities, a board of local business men, The RFL sent in someone to advise on their application, he found it perfect and reported back so, only for The RFL to demand £55,000 be paid into a Bank Account in case they failed?? most of the Championship and some in Super League would not have that money to put down.

Be interesting how the new owners of Sky look at rugby league in the future, no other channel would ever have the type of money that Sky have paid for so long and has propped up our game.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Correct! but this can't be said about Ralph Rimmer, part of the problem in the days of his former boss Nigel Woods, only The RFL would choose a replacement for Woods, someone who worked with him on Failure! and it still continues.

The treatment of Manchester Rangers with their application to join Division One in The RFL is another complete farce, based at Eastlands, first class facilities, a board of local business men, The RFL sent in someone to advise on their application, he found it perfect and reported back so, only for The RFL to demand £55,000 be paid into a Bank Account in case they failed?? most of the Championship and some in Super League would not have that money to put down.

Be interesting how the new owners of Sky look at rugby league in the future, no other channel would ever have the type of money that Sky have paid for so long and has propped up our game.

Do you have any links to that story please

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    2 refs, penalise play acting, shame those responsible for it and introduce a mandatory reserve league then I think we have a solid base to build on again

Good post
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post

2 refs would improve things but think we really need to increase the pool of refs

The way they are often treated in the amateur game is often a disgrace, I'm surprised any continue in the game. Until we allow them to develop, stop hurling abuse at them and realise they also need to learn I fear we will continue to struggle to get them into the game

Remember they are someone's son or daughter and want to do well just like the players, we acknowledge we should encourage players but not refs, for some reason they are there to be abused as if not human

I agree with reserves but don't think it will happen as the old days. Either filter them in with lower leagues or run an u23s with up to 5 trailists to keep costs down

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Do you have any links to that story please
    There was a big piece in last weeks League Express and further discussion in this weeks, all of which makes depressing reading regarding those running the game.

And they wanted £500,000 not £55,000 as a guarantee, so no wonder those at Manchester Rangers (these being established business men who know a thing or two about commercial management) told the RFL to shove it.

Just what planet is Rimmer and his cronies on, they are just completely incompetent!
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    There was a big piece in last weeks League Express and further discussion in this weeks, all of which makes depressing reading regarding those running the game.

And they wanted £500,000 not £55,000 as a guarantee, so no wonder those at Manchester Rangers (these being established business men who know a thing or two about commercial management) told the RFL to shove it.

Just what planet is Rimmer and his cronies on, they are just completely incompetent!
    Seems odd, I wouldn't judge Neil I know the facts

What reason is given for the money? Do we want business men coming in to make money then get out and leave the club in a mess? Are the RFL protecting us? I don't know enough to be fair

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Seems odd, I wouldn't judge Neil I know the facts

What reason is given for the money? Do we want business men coming in to make money then get out and leave the club in a mess? Are the RFL protecting us? I don't know enough to be fair
    They wanted money from Cats to enter the Challenge Cup, so this story may have some legs. If it is untrue would the RL not have come out and challenged it?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post

Given the fiasco that was the crusaders then you can understand the rfl being a bit wary. Seems a damned either way situation.

Got A Season Ticket

I just wonder if RL would be in a better bargaining position with broadcasters if they were to take Eddie Hearn's interest more seriously and really got him involved.