Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lachlan Coote

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I think some people have got short memories on Barba. He was unstoppable for about 5 or 6 months last year, easily the best player in the league and one of the key reasons we were top by such a distance. He was without doubt one of the most exciting players I've ever seen in the Red Vee.

There's no doubt his head was turned and he was pretty much ineffective for the last few months sadly. If he'd have retained his early season form we'd have won the treble last season.

Coote is a really good player though, a very solid all round game. He links the play nicely, has a good passing and kicking game and he also seems to be more reliable when defending. As an all rounder he probably suits our team better but unless we win anything we won't be able to fully judge who's the better player for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Barba is an X Factor player who will create magic out of nothing. Coote is a more rounded player though and over the course of 30 games will be more consistent.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Barba is an X Factor player who will create magic out of nothing. Coote is a more rounded player though and over the course of 30 games will be more consistent.
    Coote is doing the business the kicking and ball playing take pressure of the halves.

The X and strike this season was to come from Naiqama , not really given him any decent ball.

That's the only negative and its a small one.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I think some people have got short memories on Barba. He was unstoppable for about 5 or 6 months last year, easily the best player in the league and one of the key reasons we were top by such a distance. He was without doubt one of the most exciting players I've ever seen in the Red Vee.

There's no doubt his head was turned and he was pretty much ineffective for the last few months sadly. If he'd have retained his early season form we'd have won the treble last season.

Coote is a really good player though, a very solid all round game. He links the play nicely, has a good passing and kicking game and he also seems to be more reliable when defending. As an all rounder he probably suits our team better but unless we win anything we won't be able to fully judge who's the better player for us.
    I agree with that. I do think though that with Coote not being the X Factor type of player means that the whole squad knows they need to stand up when the chips are down rather than expecting some magic to get us out of a hole. We seem to have a few different plans and moves rather than set up on the right to swing back left with barba out the back. It's nice to watch again this year, we are improving massively with the ball. Our defence, apart from that 20 minutes vs Leeds, has been suffocating and also, in a strange way, enjoyable to watch

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Not wanting to put a downer on this, and not criticising Coote here. I’m a big fan of Coote however how can you say that over 30 games he will be more consistent when he’s only played 8 for us? Barba was unplayable for more than half of the season, showing no signs of pulling up.

Hopefully Coote continues his impressive performances, and can help us get some silverware, time will tell. However if you’re going to compare their first 8 games of the season Barba wins hands down, he was unplayable, no matter how rounded Coote’s performances are or how well he played on Friday, that’s all you can compare up to now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

On his day Barba was a freak. He could do things no other player in the league could. The problem with that was that we relied on him too much. Our attack relied on his magic. Once his form dipped we struggled to score points at times. The cup game vs Hull being a good example. They kept him pretty quiet and we struggled for points. Perhaps it was lazy/narrow minded coaching last year. Im not sure.
    We are playing much better rugby as a team this year. 8 tries at Castleford with 7 different try scorers. Its says it all.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

For me the best analogy with Barba and Coote is that for Saints, Barba was the stunning girl you have the best luck in your life to go out with. She’s the one who everyone would love to have, turns heads and makes you the envy of your classmates. It is like heaven for about 5/6 months but then, inevitably it starts to go wrong and she gets bored of you, has her head turned by someone else and sticks with you out of pity or because she’s not sure about her new boyfriend. Then she dumps you. Coote is like the type of girl who you maybe get on the rebound but end up realising that she is much better for you - more reliable and one who will stay the course got a long term and more fulfilling relationship.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    For me the best analogy with Barba and Coote is that for Saints, Barba was the stunning girl you have the best luck in your life to go out with. She’s the one who everyone would love to have, turns heads and makes you the envy of your classmates. It is like heaven for about 5/6 months but then, inevitably it starts to go wrong and she gets bored of you, has her head turned by someone else and sticks with you out of pity or because she’s not sure about her new boyfriend. Then she dumps you. Coote is like the type of girl who you maybe get on the rebound but end up realising that she is much better for you - more reliable and one who will stay the course got a long term and more fulfilling relationship.
    Wow, very deep analogy... could write a song.

Some post that. And it's right!

Learning All The Songs

Unfinished business St George? ; (

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Not wanting to put a downer on this, and not criticising Coote here. I’m a big fan of Coote however how can you say that over 30 games he will be more consistent when he’s only played 8 for us? Barba was unplayable for more than half of the season, showing no signs of pulling up.

Hopefully Coote continues his impressive performances, and can help us get some silverware, time will tell. However if you’re going to compare their first 8 games of the season Barba wins hands down, he was unplayable, no matter how rounded Coote’s performances are or how well he played on Friday, that’s all you can compare up to now.
    But those weren’t Barba’s first games for Saints. Barba’s rich run of form was sandwiched between two slices of dogshit.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    But those weren’t Barba’s first games for Saints. Barba’s rich run of form was sandwiched between two slices of dogshit.
    I remeber his first game against Wakey when he was in the clear and Tupou caught him.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I remeber his first game against Wakey when he was in the clear and Tupou caught him.
    And he was unable to catch Tupou who made about 60-70 metres to score but perhaps that is because Tupou is faster than a lot of people credit (as Kallum Watkins will testify).

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    But he hadn’t been in the game for months, wasn’t even playing in RU, was unfit and was thrown in the deep end, and still in the last couple of games that first season he showed what he could do. Comparing them on a level peg, their first proper season Barba was unplayable, Coote has had some very good performances but Barba was on a different level, a level which may not be seen in super league again.

Hopefully come the end of the season we can actually say Coote was a better player for us.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    But he hadn’t been in the game for months, wasn’t even playing in RU, was unfit and was thrown in the deep end, and still in the last couple of games that first season he showed what he could do. Comparing them on a level peg, their first proper season Barba was unplayable, Coote has had some very good performances but Barba was on a different level, a level which may not be seen in super league again.

Hopefully come the end of the season we can actually say Coote was a better player for us.
    It’s like comparing chalk and cheese. At his best Barba was unplayable and a joy to watch. To me Coote is a better all round full back or half back though. We look a better team this year, with a ruthless streak that we will need in autumn

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    He was saying on Sky after the game that he hasn't kicked goals since he was 18 so is having to get the practice in, so hopefully that'll come as the season progresses. Said Percival was struggling for confidence a bit, hence taking over. Have to say, he came across well at the touchscreen. Seems to be very switched on.
    Whilst his goalkicking obviously needs work; he's not missing them by much. Think it will come together and we could have a reliable kicker on our hands then.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Whilst his goalkicking obviously needs work; he's not missing them by much. Think it will come together and we could have a reliable kicker on our hands then.
    If that happens, I don't see anyone stopping us.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If that happens, I don't see anyone stopping us.
    I'd be worried if he was kicking like Wellens did, but he is only just pulling them wide of the post on his weaker side.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    I'd be worried if he was kicking like Wellens did, but he is only just pulling them wide of the post on his weaker side.
    He's missing them though

Given that he’s not kicked since he was 18 you wonder whether it would be worth getting a kicking coach in for a week or two. As above he seems to be pulling it a bit, that’s got to be a specific flaw in his technique that’s straightforward to sort out - it’s not like he’s all over the place and you wouldn’t know where to start

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    That's probably not a bad call but it could have the opposite effect in the same way it did for me when I went to see a golf pro because I pulling the ball.
    The poster should know really as he himself was a great kicker in his day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Given that he’s not kicked since he was 18 you wonder whether it would be worth getting a kicking coach in for a week or two. As above he seems to be pulling it a bit, that’s got to be a specific flaw in his technique that’s straightforward to sort out - it’s not like he’s all over the place and you wouldn’t know where to start
    I suggested the same on here weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    For the price of a FAAAAADE , Jamie Foster might help.

Learning All The Songs

Given the amount of plays he is involved in, whilst attacking & defending I would expect some others would also throw their hat in the ring for goal kicking practice in order to lighten Cootes responsibility.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Given the amount of plays he is involved in, whilst attacking & defending I would expect some others would also throw their hat in the ring for goal kicking practice in order to lighten Cootes responsibility.
    Going on Coote's conversion success rate in the 7 games so far (at a guess 60%) I would expect Percival or Makinsons average would be greater than that. As already mentioned there is no harm in having 2 kickers each favouring there kicking side to get the conversion rate up.