Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 78

Thread: Goal kicking.

  1. #51
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Percy can kick goals under presuure to win games though - Grand Final 2014 - 3 from 3 v Wigan. 70000+ people present. He can kick well. I just think he needs practice.

  2. #52
    Starting A Programme Collection St Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newton Le Willows
    Posts
    780
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Alternatively Richardson just needs to work on his defence. As mentioned earlier, Richardson scores the conversions (2pts) where as Fages defence saves a couples of tries (4/6pts). Holbrook probably looked back at the tight games last season and although Danny won us a few, his dense cost us in others.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (14) - 193132, 195253, 195859, 196566, 196970, 197071, 197475, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019

    Challenge Cup (12) - 195556, 196061, 196566, 197172, 197576, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008

    World Club Challenge (2) - 2001, 2007

    League Leader's Shield (8) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019 (16 points clear of second placed Wigan)

  3. #53
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,802
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Alternatively Richardson just needs to work on his defence. As mentioned earlier, Richardson scores the conversions (2pts) where as Fages defence saves a couples of tries (4/6pts). Holbrook probably looked back at the tight games last season and although Danny won us a few, his dense cost us in others.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not just his defence, though. His last tackle plays are all over the place. We could really do with sorting out the goal kicking situation but at the moment I think were stronger without Richardson in the team.

  4. #54
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,793
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Percy cost us the game at Cas in the play offs-don't think he has recovered from that
    I said during the game on the Leeds thread that he looked under immense pressure everytime he stepped up to kick. You may be right that Cas has completely done his confidence.

    RU employ goalkicking coaches and give the kickers psychological or mind coaching. Percy (and our other potential kickers) may benefit from this, as he does have some goal kicking skills. Right now Percy may be the technically the best option, but I would go for Makinson for temperament.

  5. #55
    Learning All The Songs Tabasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rivington Road, St Helens
    Posts
    2,387
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I wonder whether Lomax and Makinson are reluctant to take goal kicks given their histories of knee problems and are worried that the process places extra strain on those joints.

  6. #56
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,625
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 30th_November View Post
    Wilkin's just added that Sean Long was good but didn't like kicking, Scully didn't like kicking and "Saints have never treated it seriously" which I think is unfair given Walsh's success rate and Richardson last year.
    If this is true then I find it slightly worrying!
    I don't know how much is down to practice and how much comes as natural, but we all know the old saying about practice making perfect.
    Is this something that Long could teach the others? I wonder what Jonathan Davies would charge for advice?
    Does it matter if the plan is to bring DR back sooner rather than later?

  7. #57
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,105
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    I’m happy enough with Theo in as his defence is a big plus mark next to his name and he does a decent enough job in attack. I do however think the pressure will mount on Holbrook to include Richardson if Percy continues with his scratchy kicking. I actually thought it was a bad sign last night when we got the penalty in front of the posts 30m out and Percy handed it to Coote. Unless he had a knock you can’t have your first choice kicker not fancying it after missing a couple, especially as it was a relatively straightforward kick. All kickers have a bad day now and again and just give someone else a go, but not so hastily and with an easy kick to come. If Percy hasn’t got the head for it that’s fine but we need to do something about it

  8. #58
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It’s not just his defence, though. His last tackle plays are all over the place. We could really do with sorting out the goal kicking situation but at the moment I think we’re stronger without Richardson in the team.
    Fully agree with this post

  9. #59
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,705
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I said during the game on the Leeds thread that he looked under immense pressure everytime he stepped up to kick. You may be right that Cas has completely done his confidence.

    RU employ goalkicking coaches and give the kickers psychological or mind coaching. Percy (and our other potential kickers) may benefit from this, as he does have some goal kicking skills. Right now Percy may be the technically the best option, but I would go for Makinson for temperament.
    I did notice that he was taken a bit longer realigning his kicking angle approach when that happens its a sign of being uncomfortable and perhaps lacking in confidence.

  10. #60
    Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Leigh
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Danny Richardson is a terrible goal kicker, better off just leaving him with us !

  11. #61
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    926
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Why are people clamouring for Coote to take the kicks? He's only kicked something like 10 goals, missed most of them in the pre-season game and missed from in front last night.


    FWIW, if we are not planning on bringing Richardson back, then we need to be looking at 7's who can kick, and kick well.

  12. #62
    Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Leigh
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    3

  13. #63
    Got A Season Ticket sinkers89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Age
    29
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    It gives us options unlike last year where we had Plan A and If that fails, revert to Plan A.

    Fages and Lomax is working right now, further into the season we could have Richardson come back in and run the play.

    We are only 3 games into the season. Lets see how it goes.



    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  14. #64
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    Danny Richardson is a terrible goal kicker, better off just leaving him with us !
    To learn how to kick from riddy maybe.

  15. #65
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    926
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    "He has to work on all aspects of his game"

    Reading between the lines there, JH doesn't sound impressed with him.

  16. #66
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,705
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    "He has to work on all aspects of his game"

    Reading between the lines there, JH doesn't sound impressed with him.
    I think you could say that to all our half backs, Fages and Lomax have weak aspects in kicking and game management. Richardson just doesn't have the experience to orchestrate for 80 mins he needs an experienced head to guide him through game plan options.

  17. #67
    In The South Stand Greengrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.
    Posts
    4,186
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I’m happy enough with Theo in as his defence is a big plus mark next to his name and he does a decent enough job in attack. I do however think the pressure will mount on Holbrook to include Richardson if Percy continues with his scratchy kicking. I actually thought it was a bad sign last night when we got the penalty in front of the posts 30m out and Percy handed it to Coote. Unless he had a knock you can’t have your first choice kicker not fancying it after missing a couple, especially as it was a relatively straightforward kick. All kickers have a bad day now and again and just give someone else a go, but not so hastily and with an easy kick to come. If Percy hasn’t got the head for it that’s fine but we need to do something about it
    I remember Saints losing at Hull in the Millward days even though Saints scored more tries they couldn't kick their way out of a wet paper bag. A good consistent kicker is a MUST not a luxury.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

  18. #68
    Got A Season Ticket undertheradar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    N-L-W
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    "He has to work on all aspects of his game"

    Reading between the lines there, JH doesn't sound impressed with him.
    I think its more to do with him knocking Richardson down a peg or two. I think Richardson was getting a little carried away with his own hype last season, this is a gently reminder that he still needs to work at his game and isnt the finished article.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #69
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,793
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    I think it’s more to do with him ‘knocking’ Richardson down a peg or two. I think Richardson was getting a little carried away with his own hype last season, this is a gently reminder that he still needs to work at his game and isn’t the finished article.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This could be right, but JH now has a problem with Theo getting his head down and getting stuck in. I hope DR does learn some last tackle options at Leigh and starts to grow into marshalling the backs. If he does, and I know it's a big if, then I would be happy to see him back in and Theo on the bench. Even with 8 interchanges we could still use someone versatile like Fages. Last night showed how we can get caught out with an injury in the backs, and we hardly used Amor anyway.

  20. #70
    In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Golborne
    Posts
    4,263
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    IF we hadn't conceded as many trys it wouldn't matter.
    IF Morgan hadn't of played it wouldn't matter.
    IF I had a pretty face and a 6 pack I'd be a male model.
    Please don't ruin my fantasies and tell me you're not a stunner

  21. #71
    Got A Season Ticket undertheradar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    N-L-W
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    This could be right, but JH now has a problem with Theo getting his head down and getting stuck in. I hope DR does learn some last tackle options at Leigh and starts to grow into marshalling the backs. If he does, and I know it's a big if, then I would be happy to see him back in and Theo on the bench. Even with 8 interchanges we could still use someone versatile like Fages. Last night showed how we can get caught out with an injury in the backs, and we hardly used Amor anyway.
    Its a good problem for Holbrook to have. Richardson is still young and people forget that hes only played 1 season of super league. He still has lots to learn. But, If he knuckles down he has the potential to be a very good 7 for us over a number of years.

    Amor not playing many minutes last night, even with only 3 subs for the most part, was bizarre. Not sure of the thinking behind that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #72
    Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Leigh
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    To learn how to kick from riddy maybe.
    Nice one !

  23. #73
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    I remember Saints losing at Hull in the Millward days even though Saints scored more tries they couldn't kick their way out of a wet paper bag. A good consistent kicker is a MUST not a luxury.
    Yeah I remember in 2005 when we only scored one try against them in CC they handed us a pasting that day, Hull were a bogey side for us in Millward/early Anderson reigns, that front row King, Carvell, Dowes and Thackray was the best in the league back then. After that defeat Anderson made a big mobile prop our priority acquisition for the 2006 season, Cayless came on board with Jammer getting the nod over Fozzy in most games.

  24. #74
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,793
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Yeah I remember in 2005 when we only scored one try against them in CC they handed us a pasting that day, Hull were a bogey side for us in Millward/early Anderson reigns, that front row King, Carvell, Dowes and Thackray was the best in the league back then. After that defeat Anderson made a big mobile prop our priority acquisition for the 2006 season, Cayless came on board with Jammer getting the nod over Fozzy in most games.
    No wonder they beat us with 4 in the front row.

  25. #75
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    1,594
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    I remember Saints losing at Hull in the Millward days even though Saints scored more tries they couldn't kick their way out of a wet paper bag. A good consistent kicker is a MUST not a luxury.
    Exactly right. With all the new changes, games have become closer than ever and we can no longer afford to look down upon the art of goalkicking. Two points are important and we must take them at every opportunity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •