Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 Man Squad v Leeds

Default 19 Man Squad v Leeds

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/02/2...nnouncement-2/

I assume TYG is otherwise engaged so here is the squad as announced (same 19 as v Wakefield).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Haha I like how it’s unofficially become my job to do these. And yeah was stuck in a meeting and just came on here to post it.

I’d be amazed if there’s any changes to the 17 this week. No reason to change anything yet.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Haha I like how it’s unofficially become my job to do these. And yeah was stuck in a meeting and just came on here to post it.

I’d be amazed if there’s any changes to the 17 this week. No reason to change anything yet.
    Agreed mate. If our starting front row does a job on theirs, I think we’ll be fine. Warrington dominated them up the middle in round 1 and Leeds didn’t really have an answer. They’ve got some individual quality who can be dangerous if they’ve got space but it’s hard for those players if they’re facing a set defence all the time and they’re on the back foot.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Looks weird you not posting the teams. You should have walked out of the meeting at 11.55 and re entered at 12.05 after posting

Re the game. We always seem to make it a struggle at home with Leeds. I think it might be harder due to their big win and our week off. We seem to struggle after time off. We should win, but need more from Coote re his kicking around the park. If we turn up we should be ok.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

No reason to change yet but I would like to see some rotation this season.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Stuck in a meeting! You need to look up the word priorities.

In The South Stand

Same team for me, with some rotation for the Salford and London games. I don’t want us blowing our load in June/July again.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Same team for me, with some rotation for the Salford and London games. I don’t want us blowing our load in June/July again.
    Too early for any of that for me. Got to have a run of games this early in the season IMO. Wigan to Wakefield was a long turn around and there was no game last week. Players will still be trying to get some consistency and timing into their games and that only happens by playing. You’d be frustrated to be told you’re having a rest after 3/4 games.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Too early for any of that for me. Got to have a run of games this early in the season IMO. Wigan to Wakefield was a long turn around and there was no game last week. Players will still be trying to get some consistency and timing into their games and that only happens by playing. You’d be frustrated to be told you’re having a rest after 3/4 games.
    And you’d be equally as frustrated if after 4/5 games, you’ve had no game time whatsoever. Salford, London and Huddersfield is three consecutive games where we could do with spelling Roby, for example.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

I could be wrong but I seem to remember Holbrook in the off season saying something along the lines of needing to spell players better this year. I think you need to get a chunk of points on the board before you can do that so it’s the right selection at this stage for me

Learning All The Songs

The lad who played fullback against Salford last Sunday looks a decent player and dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    The lad who played fullback against Salford last Sunday looks a decent player and dangerous.
    Do you mean Jack Walker?

Learning All The Songs

[QUOTE=saintgeorge;754033]Do you mean Jack Walker?[/QUOTE

Olly Ashall-Bott

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Too early for changes, but why we all had to have a week off after 2 games because Wigan are playing is beyond me. They Knew it was Wigan in the WCC before any fixtures were announced so surely it could have been better catered for. I know that scenario would inconvenience one team by giving them a short turn around. Makes a real stop start of the season and makes me wonder if the WCC is worth it.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Too early for changes, but why we all had to have a week off after 2 games because Wigan are playing is beyond me. They Knew it was Wigan in the WCC before any fixtures were announced so surely it could have been better catered for. I know that scenario would inconvenience one team by giving them a short turn around. Makes a real stop start of the season and makes me wonder if the WCC is worth it.

I always think it's a bit of a nonsense, I mean the Aussies are undercooked and away from home, etc, etc. Is it a real comp? I guess the fact that they often win it means it is! On the other hand, it does give our game a great deal of publicity and the game looked good in a pretty full DW didn't it? Pity about some of the antics on the field, but if you were a newbie used to watching the Premier League, you probably expected to see professional sportsmen diving to con the ref and whining at him throughout. I think on balance the WCC is a good thing for the game (not sure Liam Farrell would agree) although I wouldn't take it seriously enough to record any wins I might achieve by embroidering it on my shirt!

WARNING! PIE EATER!

[QUOTE=wirefox;754035]
    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Do you mean Jack Walker?[/QUOTE

Olly Ashall-Bott
    Who plays for Widnes.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I always think it's a bit of a nonsense, I mean the Aussies are undercooked and away from home, etc, etc. Is it a real comp? I guess the fact that they often win it means it is! On the other hand, it does give our game a great deal of publicity and the game looked good in a pretty full DW didn't it? Pity about some of the antics on the field, but if you were a newbie used to watching the Premier League, you probably expected to see professional sportsmen diving to con the ref and whining at him throughout. I think on balance the WCC is a good thing for the game (not sure Liam Farrell would agree) although I wouldn't take it seriously enough to record any wins I might achieve by embroidering it on my shirt!
    Not too sure about the publicity bit. On Sunday night it was the last thing mentioned on the 5 live sports section after a raft of sports including women's football results and snooker.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Agreed mate. If our starting front row does a job on theirs, I think we’ll be fine. Warrington dominated them up the middle in round 1 and Leeds didn’t really have an answer. They’ve got some individual quality who can be dangerous if they’ve got space but it’s hard for those players if they’re facing a set defence all the time and they’re on the back foot.
    Im not particularly enchanted by their backs either. The majority are mediocre. In fact Leeds are a team Id take on in the Betfair exchanges this year. I think they may struggle and its a transition year for them.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Im not particularly enchanted by their backs either. The majority are mediocre. In fact Leeds are a team Id take on in the Betfair exchanges this year. I think they may struggle and its a transition year for them.
    I don't think I'd class Watkins as mediocre. Konrad Hurrell looks a handful and Handley has a habit of scoring against us.
    The win against Salford will have given them a boost, they needed a game like that to get their act together.
    I wouldn't write them off too easily

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I don't think I'd class Watkins as mediocre. Konrad Hurrell looks a handful and Handley has a habit of scoring against us.
    The win against Salford will have given them a boost, they needed a game like that to get their act together.
    Id be disappointed not to win comfortably. Watkins is merely an exception to the rule. Hurrell is the quintessential flatteack bully, great for hattricks against the likes of London and Salford but a track record of performing a vanishing act when the going gets tough. Handley is average and frightens noone. As i say Ill be taking Leeds on a lot this year, especially if they keep playing Owen Craigie’s lost brother at stand off. Horribly overated team.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Id be disappointed not to win comfortably. Watkins is merely an exception to the rule. Hurrell is the quintessential flatteack bully, great for hattricks against the likes of London and Salford but a track record of performing a vanishing act when the going gets tough. Handley is average and frightens noone. As i say Ill be taking Leeds on a lot this year, especially if they keep playing Owen Craigie’s lost brother at stand off. Horribly overated team.
    Its a long time since we have won comfortably against Leeds, we always seem to get into a bit of an arm wrestle and we lose composure trying to force things. If we do our basics right in the first 10 mins and respect the ball we should be able to control the game. I'm hoping we can keep 2 scores ahead in the second half to allow us to play under less pressure but I'm pretty sure Leeds will be up for this game no matter what side they turn out.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I am with you Infamous on this, them three you mentioned plus Briscoe may be looking for a chance to regain his form after a few years injured, Singleton runs the ball as well as anyone and Ferres has been showing signs of his old self.
    Leeds are always in our games no matter what side they put on the paddock, to write them off is arrogant on our fans behalf. If we then get beat the same people will be calling for Holbrook, Fages, Grace and Paulo`s etc, resignation with immediate effect, barely crediting a side that plays well against us.

It’s on Sky so it’s almost certainly going to be a close game. I don’t know who the ref is but if it’s Mr Child I’d expect Leeds to take the two points

Banned

Hicks is the ref (again)

Learning All The Songs

For me Bentley and Paulo drop out