Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 243

Thread: 19 Man Squad v Leeds

  1. #1
    Learning All The Songs Tabasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rivington Road, St Helens
    Posts
    2,422
    Rep Power
    16

    Default 19 Man Squad v Leeds

    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/02/2...nnouncement-2/

    I assume TYG is otherwise engaged so here is the squad as announced (same 19 as v Wakefield).

  2. #2
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,480
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Haha I like how it’s unofficially become my job to do these. And yeah was stuck in a meeting and just came on here to post it.

    I’d be amazed if there’s any changes to the 17 this week. No reason to change anything yet.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  3. #3
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,303
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Haha I like how it’s unofficially become my job to do these. And yeah was stuck in a meeting and just came on here to post it.

    I’d be amazed if there’s any changes to the 17 this week. No reason to change anything yet.
    Agreed mate. If our starting front row does a job on theirs, I think we’ll be fine. Warrington dominated them up the middle in round 1 and Leeds didn’t really have an answer. They’ve got some individual quality who can be dangerous if they’ve got space but it’s hard for those players if they’re facing a set defence all the time and they’re on the back foot.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  4. #4
    In The South Stand 49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,624
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Haha I like how it’s unofficially become my job to do these. And yeah was stuck in a meeting and just came on here to post it.
    I’d be amazed if there’s any changes to the 17 this week. No reason to change anything yet.
    Looks weird you not posting the teams. You should have walked out of the meeting at 11.55 and re entered at 12.05 after posting

    Re the game. We always seem to make it a struggle at home with Leeds. I think it might be harder due to their big win and our week off. We seem to struggle after time off. We should win, but need more from Coote re his kicking around the park. If we turn up we should be ok.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

  5. #5
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blatherings on WA12RL radio.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service
    Posts
    8,126
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    No reason to change yet but I would like to see some rotation this season.
    Learned comment from The Don

  6. #6
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,980
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Haha I like how it’s unofficially become my job to do these. And yeah was stuck in a meeting and just came on here to post it.

    I’d be amazed if there’s any changes to the 17 this week. No reason to change anything yet.
    Stuck in a meeting! You need to look up the word priorities.

  7. #7
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    880
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Same team for me, with some rotation for the Salford and London games. I don’t want us blowing our load in June/July again.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  8. #8
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,303
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Same team for me, with some rotation for the Salford and London games. I don’t want us blowing our load in June/July again.
    Too early for any of that for me. Got to have a run of games this early in the season IMO. Wigan to Wakefield was a long turn around and there was no game last week. Players will still be trying to get some consistency and timing into their games and that only happens by playing. You’d be frustrated to be told you’re having a rest after 3/4 games.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  9. #9
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    880
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Too early for any of that for me. Got to have a run of games this early in the season IMO. Wigan to Wakefield was a long turn around and there was no game last week. Players will still be trying to get some consistency and timing into their games and that only happens by playing. You’d be frustrated to be told you’re having a rest after 3/4 games.
    And you’d be equally as frustrated if after 4/5 games, you’ve had no game time whatsoever. Salford, London and Huddersfield is three consecutive games where we could do with spelling Roby, for example.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  10. #10
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,159
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    I could be wrong but I seem to remember Holbrook in the off season saying something along the lines of needing to spell players better this year. I think you need to get a chunk of points on the board before you can do that so it’s the right selection at this stage for me

  11. #11
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    under the laughing tree
    Posts
    970
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    The lad who played fullback against Salford last Sunday looks a decent player and dangerous.

  12. #12
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    4,014
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    The lad who played fullback against Salford last Sunday looks a decent player and dangerous.
    Do you mean Jack Walker?

  13. #13
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Right side of the track
    Posts
    1,555
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    [QUOTE=saintgeorge;754033]Do you mean Jack Walker?[/QUOTE





    Olly Ashall-Bott

  14. #14
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,980
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Too early for changes, but why we all had to have a week off after 2 games because Wigan are playing is beyond me. They Knew it was Wigan in the WCC before any fixtures were announced so surely it could have been better catered for. I know that scenario would inconvenience one team by giving them a short turn around. Makes a real stop start of the season and makes me wonder if the WCC is worth it.

  15. #15
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Too early for changes, but why we all had to have a week off after 2 games because Wigan are playing is beyond me. They Knew it was Wigan in the WCC before any fixtures were announced so surely it could have been better catered for. I know that scenario would inconvenience one team by giving them a short turn around. Makes a real stop start of the season and makes me wonder if the WCC is worth it.

    I always think it's a bit of a nonsense, I mean the Aussies are undercooked and away from home, etc, etc. Is it a real comp? I guess the fact that they often win it means it is! On the other hand, it does give our game a great deal of publicity and the game looked good in a pretty full DW didn't it? Pity about some of the antics on the field, but if you were a newbie used to watching the Premier League, you probably expected to see professional sportsmen diving to con the ref and whining at him throughout. I think on balance the WCC is a good thing for the game (not sure Liam Farrell would agree) although I wouldn't take it seriously enough to record any wins I might achieve by embroidering it on my shirt!

  16. #16
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,095
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    [QUOTE=wirefox;754035]
    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Do you mean Jack Walker?[/QUOTE





    Olly Ashall-Bott
    Who plays for Widnes.

  17. #17
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    755
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I always think it's a bit of a nonsense, I mean the Aussies are undercooked and away from home, etc, etc. Is it a real comp? I guess the fact that they often win it means it is! On the other hand, it does give our game a great deal of publicity and the game looked good in a pretty full DW didn't it? Pity about some of the antics on the field, but if you were a newbie used to watching the Premier League, you probably expected to see professional sportsmen diving to con the ref and whining at him throughout. I think on balance the WCC is a good thing for the game (not sure Liam Farrell would agree) although I wouldn't take it seriously enough to record any wins I might achieve by embroidering it on my shirt!
    Not too sure about the publicity bit. On Sunday night it was the last thing mentioned on the 5 live sports section after a raft of sports including women's football results and snooker.

  18. #18
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,112
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Agreed mate. If our starting front row does a job on theirs, I think we’ll be fine. Warrington dominated them up the middle in round 1 and Leeds didn’t really have an answer. They’ve got some individual quality who can be dangerous if they’ve got space but it’s hard for those players if they’re facing a set defence all the time and they’re on the back foot.
    Im not particularly enchanted by their backs either. The majority are mediocre. In fact Leeds are a team Id take on in the Betfair exchanges this year. I think they may struggle and its a transition year for them.

  19. #19
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    1,074
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Im not particularly enchanted by their backs either. The majority are mediocre. In fact Leeds are a team Id take on in the Betfair exchanges this year. I think they may struggle and its a transition year for them.
    I don't think I'd class Watkins as mediocre. Konrad Hurrell looks a handful and Handley has a habit of scoring against us.
    The win against Salford will have given them a boost, they needed a game like that to get their act together.
    I wouldn't write them off too easily

  20. #20
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,112
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I don't think I'd class Watkins as mediocre. Konrad Hurrell looks a handful and Handley has a habit of scoring against us.
    The win against Salford will have given them a boost, they needed a game like that to get their act together.
    I wouldn't write them off too easily
    Id be disappointed not to win comfortably. Watkins is merely an exception to the rule. Hurrell is the quintessential flatteack bully, great for hattricks against the likes of London and Salford but a track record of performing a vanishing act when the going gets tough. Handley is average and frightens noone. As i say Ill be taking Leeds on a lot this year, especially if they keep playing Owen Craigie’s lost brother at stand off. Horribly overated team.

  21. #21
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,787
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Id be disappointed not to win comfortably. Watkins is merely an exception to the rule. Hurrell is the quintessential flatteack bully, great for hattricks against the likes of London and Salford but a track record of performing a vanishing act when the going gets tough. Handley is average and frightens noone. As i say Ill be taking Leeds on a lot this year, especially if they keep playing Owen Craigie’s lost brother at stand off. Horribly overated team.
    Its a long time since we have won comfortably against Leeds, we always seem to get into a bit of an arm wrestle and we lose composure trying to force things. If we do our basics right in the first 10 mins and respect the ball we should be able to control the game. I'm hoping we can keep 2 scores ahead in the second half to allow us to play under less pressure but I'm pretty sure Leeds will be up for this game no matter what side they turn out.

  22. #22
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    782
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I don't think I'd class Watkins as mediocre. Konrad Hurrell looks a handful and Handley has a habit of scoring against us.
    The win against Salford will have given them a boost, they needed a game like that to get their act together.
    I wouldn't write them off too easily
    I am with you Infamous on this, them three you mentioned plus Briscoe may be looking for a chance to regain his form after a few years injured, Singleton runs the ball as well as anyone and Ferres has been showing signs of his old self.
    Leeds are always in our games no matter what side they put on the paddock, to write them off is arrogant on our fans behalf. If we then get beat the same people will be calling for Holbrook, Fages, Grace and Paulo`s etc, resignation with immediate effect, barely crediting a side that plays well against us.

  23. #23
    In The South Stand retro74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St Helens, Lancashire
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,309
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    It’s on Sky so it’s almost certainly going to be a close game. I don’t know who the ref is but if it’s Mr Child I’d expect Leeds to take the two points

  24. #24
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hicks is the ref (again)

  25. #25
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    For me Bentley and Paulo drop out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •