Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goal kicking.

Noooobie

Percy can kick goals under presuure to win games though - Grand Final 2014 - 3 from 3 v Wigan. 70000+ people present. He can kick well. I just think he needs practice.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Alternatively Richardson just needs to work on his defence. As mentioned earlier, Richardson scores the conversions (2pts) where as Fages defence saves a couples of tries (4/6pts). Holbrook probably looked back at the tight games last season and although Danny won us a few, his dense cost us in others.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Alternatively Richardson just needs to work on his defence. As mentioned earlier, Richardson scores the conversions (2pts) where as Fages defence saves a couples of tries (4/6pts). Holbrook probably looked back at the tight games last season and although Danny won us a few, his dense cost us in others.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    It’s not just his defence, though. His last tackle plays are all over the place. We could really do with sorting out the goal kicking situation but at the moment I think we’re stronger without Richardson in the team.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Percy cost us the game at Cas in the play offs-don't think he has recovered from that
    I said during the game on the Leeds thread that he looked under immense pressure everytime he stepped up to kick. You may be right that Cas has completely done his confidence.

RU employ goalkicking coaches and give the kickers psychological or mind coaching. Percy (and our other potential kickers) may benefit from this, as he does have some goal kicking skills. Right now Percy may be the technically the best option, but I would go for Makinson for temperament.

I wonder whether Lomax and Makinson are reluctant to take goal kicks given their histories of knee problems and are worried that the process places extra strain on those joints.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 30th_November View Post
    Wilkin's just added that Sean Long was good but didn't like kicking, Scully didn't like kicking and "Saints have never treated it seriously" which I think is unfair given Walsh's success rate and Richardson last year.
    If this is true then I find it slightly worrying!
    I don't know how much is down to practice and how much comes as natural, but we all know the old saying about practice making perfect.
    Is this something that Long could teach the others? I wonder what Jonathan Davies would charge for advice?
    Does it matter if the plan is to bring DR back sooner rather than later?

I’m happy enough with Theo in as his defence is a big plus mark next to his name and he does a decent enough job in attack. I do however think the pressure will mount on Holbrook to include Richardson if Percy continues with his scratchy kicking. I actually thought it was a bad sign last night when we got the penalty in front of the posts 30m out and Percy handed it to Coote. Unless he had a knock you can’t have your first choice kicker not fancying it after missing a couple, especially as it was a relatively straightforward kick. All kickers have a bad day now and again and just give someone else a go, but not so hastily and with an easy kick to come. If Percy hasn’t got the head for it that’s fine but we need to do something about it

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It’s not just his defence, though. His last tackle plays are all over the place. We could really do with sorting out the goal kicking situation but at the moment I think we’re stronger without Richardson in the team.
    Fully agree with this post

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I said during the game on the Leeds thread that he looked under immense pressure everytime he stepped up to kick. You may be right that Cas has completely done his confidence.

RU employ goalkicking coaches and give the kickers psychological or mind coaching. Percy (and our other potential kickers) may benefit from this, as he does have some goal kicking skills. Right now Percy may be the technically the best option, but I would go for Makinson for temperament.
    I did notice that he was taken a bit longer realigning his kicking angle approach when that happens its a sign of being uncomfortable and perhaps lacking in confidence.

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Danny Richardson is a terrible goal kicker, better off just leaving him with us !

Learning All The Songs

Why are people clamouring for Coote to take the kicks? He's only kicked something like 10 goals, missed most of them in the pre-season game and missed from in front last night.

FWIW, if we are not planning on bringing Richardson back, then we need to be looking at 7's who can kick, and kick well.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

It gives us options unlike last year where we had Plan A and If that fails, revert to Plan A.

Fages and Lomax is working right now, further into the season we could have Richardson come back in and run the play.

We are only 3 games into the season. Lets see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    Danny Richardson is a terrible goal kicker, better off just leaving him with us !
    To learn how to kick from riddy maybe.

Learning All The Songs

"He has to work on all aspects of his game"

Reading between the lines there, JH doesn't sound impressed with him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post

I think you could say that to all our half backs, Fages and Lomax have weak aspects in kicking and game management. Richardson just doesn't have the experience to orchestrate for 80 mins he needs an experienced head to guide him through game plan options.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I’m happy enough with Theo in as his defence is a big plus mark next to his name and he does a decent enough job in attack. I do however think the pressure will mount on Holbrook to include Richardson if Percy continues with his scratchy kicking. I actually thought it was a bad sign last night when we got the penalty in front of the posts 30m out and Percy handed it to Coote. Unless he had a knock you can’t have your first choice kicker not fancying it after missing a couple, especially as it was a relatively straightforward kick. All kickers have a bad day now and again and just give someone else a go, but not so hastily and with an easy kick to come. If Percy hasn’t got the head for it that’s fine but we need to do something about it
    I remember Saints losing at Hull in the Millward days even though Saints scored more tries they couldn't kick their way out of a wet paper bag. A good consistent kicker is a MUST not a luxury.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post

I think it’s more to do with him ‘knocking’ Richardson down a peg or two. I think Richardson was getting a little carried away with his own hype last season, this is a gently reminder that he still needs to work at his game and isn’t the finished article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    I think it’s more to do with him ‘knocking’ Richardson down a peg or two. I think Richardson was getting a little carried away with his own hype last season, this is a gently reminder that he still needs to work at his game and isn’t the finished article.

This could be right, but JH now has a problem with Theo getting his head down and getting stuck in. I hope DR does learn some last tackle options at Leigh and starts to grow into marshalling the backs. If he does, and I know it's a big if, then I would be happy to see him back in and Theo on the bench. Even with 8 interchanges we could still use someone versatile like Fages. Last night showed how we can get caught out with an injury in the backs, and we hardly used Amor anyway.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    IF we hadn't conceded as many trys it wouldn't matter.
    IF Morgan hadn't of played it wouldn't matter.
    IF I had a pretty face and a 6 pack I'd be a male model.
    Please don't ruin my fantasies and tell me you're not a stunner

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    This could be right, but JH now has a problem with Theo getting his head down and getting stuck in. I hope DR does learn some last tackle options at Leigh and starts to grow into marshalling the backs. If he does, and I know it's a big if, then I would be happy to see him back in and Theo on the bench. Even with 8 interchanges we could still use someone versatile like Fages. Last night showed how we can get caught out with an injury in the backs, and we hardly used Amor anyway.
    It’s a good problem for Holbrook to have. Richardson is still young and people forget that he’s only played 1 season of super league. He still has lots to learn. But, If he knuckles down he has the potential to be a very good 7 for us over a number of years.

Amor not playing many minutes last night, even with only 3 subs for the most part, was bizarre. Not sure of the thinking behind that.

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    To learn how to kick from riddy maybe.
    Nice one !

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    I remember Saints losing at Hull in the Millward days even though Saints scored more tries they couldn't kick their way out of a wet paper bag. A good consistent kicker is a MUST not a luxury.
    Yeah I remember in 2005 when we only scored one try against them in CC they handed us a pasting that day, Hull were a bogey side for us in Millward/early Anderson reigns, that front row King, Carvell, Dowes and Thackray was the best in the league back then. After that defeat Anderson made a big mobile prop our priority acquisition for the 2006 season, Cayless came on board with Jammer getting the nod over Fozzy in most games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Yeah I remember in 2005 when we only scored one try against them in CC they handed us a pasting that day, Hull were a bogey side for us in Millward/early Anderson reigns, that front row King, Carvell, Dowes and Thackray was the best in the league back then. After that defeat Anderson made a big mobile prop our priority acquisition for the 2006 season, Cayless came on board with Jammer getting the nod over Fozzy in most games.
    No wonder they beat us with 4 in the front row.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Exactly right. With all the new changes, games have become closer than ever and we can no longer afford to look down upon the art of goalkicking. Two points are important and we must take them at every opportunity.