Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wakefield Match Thread

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Two points away at a good side at a venue where we often struggle. Two from two with a week off to clear up any niggles. I think we're in a pretty good position. Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining about something or somebody.
    It's a general rugby league malady.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMo View Post
    Just on the way home. That was a tough game, which we should’ve expected after Trinity’s humbling at London last week. They were up for it from the start and Fifita was a massive handful all match. Not sure if he had a break either, which is amazing given I thought he’d be blowing after 15 mins. Brough’s kicking caused us problems all. game (and he had his mandatory ten minutes in the bin too) and Miller was lively too. For us, I didn’t think Fages was as influential as last week but still played well. Coote set up two tries with great cutout passes and his positioning in defence was great but he did put two kick offs and a positional kick out on the full, and dropped a spiralling Brough bomb (although he was still 20 yards closer to getting to it than Barba would’ve been). Maybe he couldn’t quite suss out the enclosed pitch but talk of dropping him is ridiculous. Roby and Thommo really dragged us back in in the second half along with LMS. Our defence won it for us in the end in a real arm wrestle. Two wins from two will do at this stage.
    Thanks for the report Mickey. Gives me cause for optimism.

Noooobie

New poster here. Emigrated from St Helens in 2016 and now reside in Queensland after a short stay in Melbourne.

Great to see us 2 from 2 esp beating the Goons first up.Watch whichever Saints games I can via Foxtel.

Coote criticism is fair as he’s a professional and he will have seen some very varied conditions over here. Manly’s Brookvale Oval is a very minor upgrade on Belle Vue. He is class player and will improve. You won’t get that by dropping him.

I used to be quite anti NRL but now massively respect it. I also love how the Aussies in most states treat it as the No.1 sport. We have signed 3 very good players. Not Fairleighs, Lyons or Meningas but guys who are equipped to get us I. The top 4/5/whatever it is and push on from there.

Stay positive. Come on you Saints...

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    Mong
    Serious question Southport.

What is that supposed to mean?

Learning All The Songs

Even I can’t understand a lot of the criticism I’ve seen. It’s a good start to the season, it’s always a tight game against Wakefield and we defended brilliantly in the second half. The only major concern I have is that neither half can kick. Paulo also needs to improve but we’re only two games in and they’ve been games that haven’t really suited him.

Learning All The Songs

Apart from his kicking I think coote had a pretty good game. He was supposed to be our left foot kicker while Richardson was meant to be our right footed kicker but it hasn't worked out like that so far. There's pros and cons about selecting Richardson and fages and I'm sure Danny will get his chance before too long.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Even I can’t understand a lot of the criticism I’ve seen. It’s a good start to the season, it’s always a tight game against Wakefield and we defended brilliantly in the second half. The only major concern I have is that neither half can kick. Paulo also needs to improve but we’re only two games in and they’ve been games that haven’t really suited him.
    On the plus all of our 'pivots bagged assists today and it looks like plenty of plays are coming off of Knowles getting into the teeth of the defence, similar with Theo. Right edge defence looks a concern BUT it's a very new combination

Got A Season Ticket Duke Eddington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    Mong
    Wow!
    Last edited by Duke Eddington; 10th February 2019 at 23:51.

Noooobie

Sounds to me like job done.... 2 points....move on Wakey have turned us over more than once at their gaff so i'm happy with a win.

Just got back from Riga so missed the game.
    2 points is 2 points chaps. Play scratchy & win is a good sign for me

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    On the plus all of our 'pivots bagged assists today and it looks like plenty of plays are coming off of Knowles getting into the teeth of the defence, similar with Theo. Right edge defence looks a concern BUT it's a very new combination
    Dom is showing shades of being all over the place again

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMo View Post
    Just on the way home. That was a tough game, which we should’ve expected after Trinity’s humbling at London last week. They were up for it from the start and Fifita was a massive handful all match. Not sure if he had a break either, which is amazing given I thought he’d be blowing after 15 mins. Brough’s kicking caused us problems all. game (and he had his mandatory ten minutes in the bin too) and Miller was lively too. For us, I didn’t think Fages was as influential as last week but still played well. Coote set up two tries with great cutout passes and his positioning in defence was great but he did put two kick offs and a positional kick out on the full, and dropped a spiralling Brough bomb (although he was still 20 yards closer to getting to it than Barba would’ve been). Maybe he couldn’t quite suss out the enclosed pitch but talk of dropping him is ridiculous. Roby and Thommo really dragged us back in in the second half along with LMS. Our defence won it for us in the end in a real arm wrestle. Two wins from two will do at this stage.
    I think you're right about Coote and the pitch. It is tight, and perhaps looks bigger than it actually is? Throw in the wind, and maybe we should forgive him? I didn't think his kick from the restart would ever land!
    Brough obviously took full advantage of the weather, but has had plenty of time to practice. I doubt if Coote has ever been there before.
    Happy with the 2 points.
    ...And credit to Fifita for coming over to the Saints fans at the end. It's what the games all about!
    Last edited by KentishBarry; 11th February 2019 at 09:51.

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Said for a while we should sign fafita. Douglas and amor can go to fund him.

I think those who think Coote is being harshly criticised are missing the point. Most people who are are commenting on his kicking. His pluses in the two games have been he has been tidy in defence and has great passing ability. Of course he needs time. But if he was the standard FB that would be fine as he would not be kicking too much. But JH told us he is a great positional kicker ‘ a great left foot’. So he is being used in that roll. I doubt anyone can say if they watched both games that his kicking has been good enough. I was there yesterday and I’m not being harsh but it was woeful. Topped with a vital high ball drop I honestly believe he was the main reason we were on the back foot for large periods of time. That and TBF a bit of indiscipline by other players penalties. I don’t know how he will pan out. We all want it to work, but if and it is an if his kicking (or lack of) does not improve JH will have to come up with alternative kicking options. JH must have seen it yesterday as later in the game Fages started positional kicking duties for the remainder of the game.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Got A Season Ticket Voll au Vent's Avatar

My take on the game. The wind was extremely tricky to cope with, and with a small pitch Coote found it difficult to judge his long kicks. We were in total control until Kevin N seemed to get a knock. They targeted him and Dom mercilessly for the rest of the half and that's were their success came from. They didn't miss Brough when he was binned, as they scored while he was off, and as soon as he came back on we scored.
    We put ourselves under unnecessary pressure second half conceding a string of penalties. As others have said, Roby and Thompson were immense in the final quarter of the game and at 18-18 we seized the momentum. The set of drives that culminated in Louie's winning try was as inevitable as it was joyous to watch. There was no stopping us.
    Always a tough place to go for us, so to come away with the points shows a determined performance, if still a little rusty.
    As usual a nightmare return on the M62 with a multi-car pile up on Rishworth Moor holding everyone up.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

pretty happy with 2 out of 2.
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    Thanks for the report Mickey. Gives me cause for optimism.
    At last someone with a bit of common sense . Thank you Mickey . That is the problem with
    commenting immediately after a game has ended instead of sleeping on it .

Learning All The Songs

Isn't what having a squad is all about, If you don't play well somebody else steps in?

For me Theo and Paulo were rubbish so play someone else?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    It’s come a week later than I expected. Most support groups would be happy with an opening win v Wigan (where many had Coote as the MOM) and a tough win at Wakefield on a day like today. We’re already thinking of ways to phase him out of the team.
    Incredible. Last week everyone was praising him, a couple of bad kicks in windy conditions and he's out. We had a FB last year who didn't turn up at all for a few games, and still won MOS. Though I really want Roby to win that this year (as I did last year).

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Isn't what having a squad is all about, If you don't play well somebody else steps in?

Yep, Drop Theo for DR, if DR has a bad game bring in Theo, if he has a bad game bring in DR, and so on, make perfect sense

Learning All The Songs

I have just watched the highlights on the Saints site, Theo was involved taking the ball to the line for all but one of our tries and Percy`s disallowed effort, Johnny also involved as a link in three of them.
    Wakey away, bad weather, tight ground, heavy pitch and we won.

Some of our fans want jam on it.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post

That’s not how it works two games into the season when we’ve won both games. That said Paulo does need to improve, I think he’s been the only one who’s looked well off the pace. As I said above though, they’ve been two games that haven’t suited him but have been perfect for Knowles.

Got A Season Ticket Voll au Vent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    That’s not how it works two games into the season when we’ve won both games. That said Paulo does need to improve, I think he’s been the only one who’s looked well off the pace. As I said above though, they’ve been two games that haven’t suited him but have been perfect for Knowles.
    He certainly doesn't need to improve his tackling!! Two games played off the bench, 51 tackles made, no misses! what is there to fault in that?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Incredible. Last week everyone was praising him, a couple of bad kicks in windy conditions and he's out. We had a FB last year who didn't turn up at all for a few games, and still won MOS. Though I really want Roby to win that this year (as I did last year).
    Whilst I've only seen the highlights, it must be noted that the long cut-out passes Lachlan Coote made to create tries for Tommy and Regan were sheer class. We haven't got another player in the team that can do that.

Clearly, his kicking game needs working on, because it seems that we have a full back who is effectively going to be playing at half back in attack. with Theo given somewhat of a roving commission, which suits his game much better. However, that plan will not come together if Lachlan is not up to scratch with the boot.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Whilst I've only seen the highlights, it must be noted that the long cut-out passes Lachlan Coote made to create tries for Tommy and Regan were sheer class. We haven't got another player in the team that can do that.

Clearly, his kicking game needs working on, because it seems that we have a full back who is effectively going to be playing at half back in attack. with Theo given somewhat of a roving commission, which suits his game much better. However, that plan will not come together if Lachlan is not up to scratch with the boot.
    First bit was pretty much what I was going to write. Both quality assists.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk