Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Wigan vs Roosters

Never mind. They got beat. And pretty convincingly. Against a Roosters team playing at about 40 per cent.

I'd say it's a sad indictment for the state of the game over here but for a few days, I'll just enjoy them getting soundly beaten on their rented ground

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    What we had here was one team wanting to play rugby and one team wanting to extract everything they could from the ‘grey areas’ (i.e. cheat).

At one point when Marshall broke though he was tackled, the Rooster’s player just got up and took the marker position, whilst Marshall was break Dancing and claiming a penalty- complete cheating.
    And trapping the tacklers arm
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

What we had here was one team wanting to play rugby and one team wanting to extract everything they could from the ‘grey areas’ (i.e. cheat).

At one point when Marshall broke though he was tackled, the Rooster’s player just got up and took the marker position, whilst Marshall was break Dancing and claiming a penalty- complete cheating.
    Wigan are clearly being coached to cheat because they're all at it.

I didn't think I could dislike the racist, homophobic, drug abusing drunk Hardaker any more than I do, but when he's flapping about on the floor trying to cheat his way to a penalty he makes me vomit

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Even the referee remarked on that one. I think Marshall is a very good winger and scores some superb tries. Trouble is that he makes a fool of himself by keep playing the victim. Alas our referees are not prepared to act on this sort of behaviour.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Can't see Hall getting in the 13 in Oz.

Noooobie

Horrible, horrible team, still at least they've been beaten. I think we'd have won tonight.

PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE BRIAN, HAHAHAHAHA.
    I think the sentence regarding Saints winning must be tongue in cheek. We saw last season how Saints react when a big aggressive team come at them from the first whistle, Les Cats in the CC springs to mind and later in the game Wire in the Super League semi.
    Good skilful side that Saints obviously are, but until they can prove they have the bottle for these types of hard aggressive teams like the Roosters, and don't roll over to have their tummys tickled like an Andrex puppy, I fail to see where your confidence is coming from.
    I honestly don't believe any current SL side has it in them to beat the Roosters at any stage in the season.

Got A Season Ticket

I give in at times how parochial people can be, I saw Wigan last night at representing Our Country! not as a team over Billinge Lump, there is not one team in Super League that does not cheat in some way or other! be it constantly offside, which referees this season to speed the game up have been told to ignore, to using wrestling coaches to slow the play the ball down. I want to see Rugby League played well, whatever the team or colour of their shirt they wear. No team is an angel or Saint! lol

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    I give in at times how parochial people can be, I saw Wigan last night at representing Our Country! not as a team over Billinge Lump, there is not one team in Super League that does not cheat in some way or other! be it constantly offside, which referees this season to speed the game up have been told to ignore, to using wrestling coaches to slow the play the ball down. I want to see Rugby League played well, whatever the team or colour of their shirt they wear. No team is an angel or Saint! lol
    Wigan were representing nobody but Wigan. All this Superduperleague vs NRL talk is rubbish.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Glad Wigan lost but if Saints had gone 10-0 down within 10 minutes last night what would the final score have been?
    Last edited by Houghwood Saint; 18th February 2019 at 09:14.

Thought it was a great advert for Rugby League - a really good crowd under lights and a great atmosphere. A good contest. Wigan hung in and were very resilient. Last time we were in it we were humiliated 39-0. It was also the first feature on BBC News Sport last night which shows how important a match it is to the media and in the promotion of the game. I’m glad Sydney won of course but I’m kind of glad it wasn’t a whitewash. Thought Sarginson and Williams were impressive for Wigan. A negative minor criticism would that in the tunnel beforehand you see Wigan Athletic signs and symbols rather than Rugby League ones - but I suppose that’s what you get when you have to share a stadium with a football team.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    Glad Wigan lost but if Saints had gone 10-0 down within 10 minutes last night what would the final score have been?
    Probably another Catalans debacle.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

It was a very good intense game of rugby, I enjoyed it, and the better team won on the night.
    We (Wigan) cannot afford the poor starts to games, that's the fourth time this year that we have conceded in the first few minutes. The Roosters are a great side, I reckon six or seven of their players would be marquee players over here. Their end of sets were much better than Wigans.
    The second half when we got back in the game we just needed that bit of luck, the O'Loughlin kick and the Tommy Leuluai one could easily have brought tries.
    I thought JWH was very lucky not to have got 10 minutes in the bin for that challenge on Powell and Farrell.
    What's the point of the shot clock for goal kicks? Almost every one was taking over two minutes.

The only real downside was that it looks as though Liam Farrell will be out for around three months with a torn bicep.
    On the plus side we avoided the forty point hammering predicted by some on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    It was a very good intense game of rugby, I enjoyed it, and the better team won on the night.
    We (Wigan) cannot afford the poor starts to games, that's the fourth time this year that we have conceded in the first few minutes. The Roosters are a great side, I reckon six or seven of their players would be marquee players over here. Their end of sets were much better than Wigans.
    The second half when we got back in the game we just needed that bit of luck, the O'Loughlin kick and the Tommy Leuluai one could easily have brought tries.
    I thought JWH was very lucky not to have got 10 minutes in the bin for that challenge on Powell and Farrell.
    What's the point of the shot clock for goal kicks? Almost every one was taking over two minutes.

The only real downside was that it looks as though Liam Farrell will be out for around three months with a torn bicep.
    On the plus side we avoided the forty point hammering predicted by some on here.
    Wigan did ok 2nd half but that was probably to do with Roosters taking their foot off the gas a little and tiring due to this being their first hit out. Lets have it right (and this could be any team other than Wigan) had that game been played mid April in Australia, it would easily have been a 30-40 point winnig margin.

They are hugely disadvantaged playing over here before their season starts.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I thought Wigan were poor to be honest, the Roosters were nowhere near their best. Too many poor passes, poor kicks, needless penalties and obviously they got off to a poor start as well conceding two tries. Given the circumstances surrounding both teams with the preperation etc, I thought Wigan were a long way off.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I thought Wigan were poor to be honest, the Roosters were nowhere near their best. Too many poor passes, poor kicks, needless penalties and obviously they got off to a poor start as well conceding two tries. Given the circumstances surrounding both teams with the preperation etc, I thought Wigan were a long way off.
    Yeah I’m with you on this one Tez. Considering Wigan have had a friendly and 2 super league games under their belt I thought they looked disjointed in attack. Some awful passes from dummy half really slowed down their attacking structures. Thought they did well to hang in the game when it could’ve got really ugly but a lot of that was down to the Roosters looking gassed for the last 20 mins of each half. Like many have said if this game was played 3 games into the NRL season and in OZ it would have been a 40 point hammering and not just against Wigan but any superleague team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post

BUT

Your first try was scored when the Roosters sliding defender tripped over his own man, and the second one was just a lucky kick on the floor from Marshall (who I rate but find his playacting nauseous) so it was very very fortunate you weren’t nilled. By a team that haven’t played a competitive game yet.

Another of those moral victories eh Brian? You must be so proud of half your team falling about like they've been shot after every tackle.

How do you feel about this Brian? Are you of the ilk that as long as you win, the end justifies the means? Thus you are happy to be the “perennial cheats” you chastise Saints as?

Or are you embarrassed that “men” like O’Loughlin, Hamlin and Hardaker think it’s right to cheat to try and level the playing field?

The two Goons that I bother with were both glad to see the back of Wane but are now embarrassed that all this “new style of play” nonsense from Lam looks to be bullsh it.

So, Brian, you like coming on here, and you label us “Original and perennial cheats”, how do you feel about your team constantly cheating in every single game?

Asking for a friend.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    What you’ve basically just said is you wanted our closest rivals to win silverware. Any Saints fan who wanted Wigan to win last night is an idiot and not much of a Saints fan at all.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    What you’ve basically just said is you wanted our closest rivals to win silverware. Any Saints fan who wanted Wigan to win last night is an idiot and not much of a Saints fan at all.
    To be honest my own profound dislike of the Crust Munchers has little with them being our nearest rivals, it has a lot to do with them being thugs, cheats and constantly being given "the rub of the green". One of the reasons I wanted The Roosters to win was to prevent the dirtiest, most cynical and possibly the most unattractive team in SL (from a playing point of view!) from claiming another trophy, whilst purporting to represent SL.

Learning All The Songs

Wigan were just monstered by the Roosters pack in that opening 20 and if you look back to the end of last year thats the kind of intensity they usually play with for the full 80mins. Their starting front row were absolutely awesome and it looked like men against boys. The fact they are still a month away from the start of their season I think Wigan were lucky not to be playing them in a couple of months time otherwise I think the scoreline would have been a blow out.
    Williams really tried but was a long way shy of where Keary & Cronk were at. It was headless chicken against cool & composed for much of that match.

Ironically at the end of each year we have a constant drone of Gildart & Farrell for England - both were utterly shocking last night with weak tackles, poor positioning & poor passing.

In The South Stand

As a good advert for Rugby League I think it is a shame that it was not on a major terrestrial channel with good commentators .

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Wigan were just monstered by the Roosters pack in that opening 20 and if you look back to the end of last year thats the kind of intensity they usually play with for the full 80mins. Their starting front row were absolutely awesome and it looked like men against boys. The fact they are still a month away from the start of their season I think Wigan were lucky not to be playing them in a couple of months time otherwise I think the scoreline would have been a blow out.
    Williams really tried but was a long way shy of where Keary & Cronk were at. It was headless chicken against cool & composed for much of that match.

Ironically at the end of each year we have a constant drone of Gildart & Farrell for England - both were utterly shocking last night with weak tackles, poor positioning & poor passing.
    I also think Joe Greenwood is looking more like a flat track bully. Just like against NZ last year he is annonimous when the opposition are aggressive.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I also think Joe Greenwood is looking more like a flat track bully. Just like against NZ last year he is annonimous when the opposition are aggressive.

I think he fought hard

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I think he fought hard
    I can only remember him doing one thing and that was one tackle on JWH, apart from that didn’t get into the match.
    I thought Sydney would have targeted him in defence but they obviously found a weaker link in Gildart and Farrell

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I can only remember him doing one thing and that was one tackle on JWH, apart from that didn’t get into the match.
    I thought Sydney would have targeted him in defence but they obviously found a weaker link in Gildart and Farrell
    Most of that is purely speculation, I think he is a very good player and one we shouldn't have lost

There were many other players on the Wigan team who let them down, he wasn't one of the,

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Most of that is purely speculation, I think he is a very good player and one we shouldn't have lost

There were many other players on the Wigan team who let them down, he wasn't one of the,
    Leuluai, Farrell, Gildart were Wigan’s 3 key weaknesses