Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wigan vs Roosters

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    What rubbish. So fans should go and watch a team they dont support because they dont have enough fans to fill the stadium? There is absolutely zero comparison between England fans going to watch one of the biggest events in sport when theyve already paid good money for tickets long before they knew who was in the final and a Saints fan going to watch their arch rivals play in a game which most NRL players dont give a toss about.

Because watching Hull vs Cas on TV is the same as going to a Wigan game which wed never hear the end of if they were to win.
    That's not what I said though is it? Your "wind up" criticism came as a response to a neutral wanting to go and watch the WCC, they don't particularly have to support anyone, although as it's against Wigan that's probably a given. The two best sides in the world last year are playing each other, why shouldn't a rugby league fan want to go and watch, why do you have an issue with that?

I still can't take this competition seriously. We can't really disadvantage them anymore. Playing at the home of the English side when they have had friendlies and two competitive games in an English winter. The NRL season hasn't even started yet so fitness wise Wigan should be streets ahead.

If this was played 3 weeks into the NRL season in Australia then it would be a totally different result.

I have no interest in this game whatsoever. I accept others might. I don’t want to be linked to the NRL by teams playing each other. IMO we are 2 different entities who should not interbreed. If Saints were in this game I would go, but not because I support the WCC, but I support Saints.
    This idea we as RL fans should get behind Wigan as they are from our league is well crap. I hope they get there arses kicked big time. Why because it’s not Saints. Plus the bigger the hiding the more chance they will dump this stupid game. That said it’s just my opinion and anyone who disagrees that’s fine have a good day on Sunday. Remember though you will be giv g Wigan money!
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by WA10 View Post
    That's not what I said though is it? Your "wind up" criticism came as a response to a neutral wanting to go and watch the WCC, they don't particularly have to support anyone, although as it's against Wigan that's probably a given. The two best sides in the world last year are playing each other, why shouldn't a rugby league fan want to go and watch, why do you have an issue with that?
    Because it's Wigan, that's the issue, with me anyway. I would never want to go and watch them no matter who they were playing and certainly not in their own ground surrounded by their fans who hate us as much as we hate them. As I said previously, it takes all kinds and if folk want to go then fair enough but why would you then come on here bigging it up and not expect some to be hostile to the idea. I find not understanding that harder to understand than why a Saints fan would take issue with it.
    I hope they capitulate spectacularly.

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Because it's Wigan, that's the issue, with me anyway. I would never want to go and watch them no matter who they were playing and certainly not in their own ground surrounded by their fans who hate us as much as we hate them. As I said previously, it takes all kinds and if folk want to go then fair enough but why would you then come on here bigging it up and not expect some to be hostile to the idea. I find not understanding that harder to understand than why a Saints fan would take issue with it.
    I hope they capitulate spectacularly.
    Here here

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Saints to have a training match against Sydney on Thursday.
    I imagine Trent Robinson will be asking for some tips too with Saints’ recent record against Wigan, 3 wins, 1 loss in the past 12 months.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...lub-challenge/

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I imagine Trent Robinson will be asking for some tips too with Saints’ recent record against Wigan, 3 wins, 1 loss in the past 12 months.

Sounds like a good plan for all parties. Gives us a bit of a run out instead of a blank weekend and it’ll be a good experience for our youngsters who will learn a thing or two no doubt

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Sounds like a good plan for all parties. Gives us a bit of a run out instead of a blank weekend and itll be a good experience for our youngsters who will learn a thing or two no doubt
    Shame they dont open it up to fans. Could of done it as a charity thing charging something like a fiver for adults 3 quid for kids, or Free to season ticket holders.

Id go if I could.

In The South Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/47205866

Didn't realise Morley was only 23 when he went over there.

In The South Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post

Good experience for our guys, but how do you play at 70%?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on WA12RL radio.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I will buck the trend here and hope Wigan win. It will raise some eyebrows down under.
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I will buck the trend here and hope Wigan win. It will raise some eyebrows down under.
    I wouldn't want you next to me in the trenches. Shameful for a Saints fan to say that and if you think the Aussie's are that bothered you're deluded. If they took it seriously, they would wipe the floor with the SL team every year.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I hope they get absolutely hammered and couldn't give 2 monkeys what impact it will have down under.
    I've never ever wanted Wigan to win a game and never will do and especially can't deal with Wigan fans on social media giving it the 'World Champs' biggen either.
    But each to their own..

Got A Season Ticket

I could find a way to shout for any team especially if there playing a aussie side but not Wigan too many bad things in the memory banks regarding that team I'm afraid

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on WA12RL radio.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I wouldn't want you next to me in the trenches. Shameful for a Saints fan to say that and if you think the Aussie's are that bothered you're deluded. If they took it seriously, they would wipe the floor with the SL team every year.
    Not sure I would want you next to me in the pub.
    Learned comment from The Don

WARNING! PIE EATER!

That is one of the most stupid comments you have ever made. The Aussie psyche is to win at everything they do, and beating any English side is top of their list (alongside beating anything from New Zealand.)
    Have you ever been to Australia?

Got A Season Ticket

While I agree that Aussies do not like losing especially to Poms , there needs to be a bit of perspective as to what the WCC means in each country . In England SKY have hyped this up to be the game that determines the best RL side in the world. In Australia it is a preseason run out albeit a somewhat prestigious one. A bit like the Charity Shield in football. Bear in mind the NRL kicks off with it's first game on 14th March , so any SL team should be ahead on fitness . I can't buy SKY's take on it although I think it'll be a good watch on the telly and like a fair few saints fans I hope Roosters hand them their backsides.

Learning All The Songs Ralph Fridge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    That is one of the most stupid comments you have ever made. The Aussie psyche is to win at everything they do, and beating any English side is top of their list (alongside beating anything from New Zealand.)
    Not really. When you got given the game against Cronulla, Jimmy Maloney didn't seem too fussed in a post-match interview.
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

Quote Originally Posted by litherland saint View Post
    While I agree that Aussies do not like losing especially to Poms , there needs to be a bit of perspective as to what the WCC means in each country . In England SKY have hyped this up to be the game that determines the best RL side in the world. In Australia it is a preseason run out albeit a somewhat prestigious one. A bit like the Charity Shield in football. Bear in mind the NRL kicks off with it's first game on 14th March , so any SL team should be ahead on fitness . I can't buy SKY's take on it although I think it'll be a good watch on the telly and like a fair few saints fans I hope Roosters hand them their backsides.
    I'd compare it to the Football World Club thing. South American clubs treat is a way to try and beat the European Champions, and if and when they do it is a massive thing for them. When the European team wins it's a nice trophy but nothing special.

I'll be honest, Bolton in 2001 and 2007 were brilliant nights when we beat Brisbane. But I've been to ones where we've been battered and I've treated it as nothing. It's one of those things that you want to win and you celebrate when you do, but aren't really bothered if you lose.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

That doesn’t apply to all Australian teams, Rogues. In all honesty most NRL clubs would consider the WCC an inconvenience to their pre season. I agree that they don’t like losing. But if they had to chose between playing this game risking injury to players, or forfeiting it in order to start the NRL season with a fully fit squad im betting most of them would pick the latter .
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I'd compare it to the Football World Club thing. South American clubs treat is a way to try and beat the European Champions, and if and when they do it is a massive thing for them. When the European team wins it's a nice trophy but nothing special.

I'll be honest, Bolton in 2001 and 2007 were brilliant nights when we beat Brisbane. But I've been to ones where we've been battered and I've treated it as nothing. It's one of those things that you want to win and you celebrate when you do, but aren't really bothered if you lose.
    I think we caught Brisbane off guard in 2001. Not so in 2007. Brisbane came over determined in 2007 IIRC and we still beat them. Either way. Both great nights. Plenty Aussie internationals in both of those Brisbane squads.
    Lockyer, Webcke, Tallis, Berrigan, Tiquiri, Sailor, Civonaceva, Thorn (international in both codes), Tate, Carroll. Thems just off the top of my head.

Just shows how good the Saints team of the early 00s was!!!

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I think we caught Brisbane off guard in 2001. Not so in 2007. Brisbane came over determined in 2007 IIRC and we still beat them. Either way. Both great nights. Plenty Aussie internationals in both of those Brisbane squads.
    Lockyer, Webcke, Tallis, Berrigan, Tiquiri, Sailor, Civonaceva, Thorn (international in both codes), Tate, Carroll. Thems just off the top of my head.

Just shows how good the Saints team of the early 00’s was!!!
    So the teams who played Saints took it seriously, but the teams who play(ed) Wigan didn't!! Give over.

Got A Replica Shirt

So the teams who played Saints took it seriously, but the teams who play(ed) Wigan didn't!! Give over.

How did you reduce that from his comment?

For me to add credibility to it we should rotate it more between here and Oz. Id also like to see it played later so they can get some match fitness not turn up straight off the beach.

Learning All The Songs

I just hope its a good match. I use to go all these type of games but as you get older the TV beckons. Must admit I always love to see the Aussies get beat but it is a tall order for Wigan. Plenty of rain needed and perhaps a bit of snow (remember our game at Bolton). If conditions are dry expect the worse.

I never said that, Grandad. Getting a bit defensive there, pal.