Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MOM v Wigan

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

1 Roby
    2 Coote
    3 Fages

Special mention to Peyroux, was in all the right places when we were in attacking mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Fages
    Roby
    Knowles

Cannot for the life of me see how Coote gets so many votes for all the good stuff he seemed to do, he seemed to have equally poor moments.
    In my opinion Coote was the one who had influence on our game management and took pressure off Fages and Lomax. Very good intelligent player, reads the game well except for giving away the interception of course.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Fages
    Roby
    Coote
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Roby,
    Percy,
    Coote

I can't see why so many people are picking Fages ??
    10/10 for effort, endeavour & defence, only 4/10 for me for game management & decision making which is what you need from a 7, especially when your 6 isn't that great at it either.
    Because he was our best player last night?
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Because he was our best player last night?
    Missed more tackles than anyone else, butchered 2-3 good scoring opportunities when we had an overlap but he chose to run, got caught on the last a few times when the percentage play was the kick through to try and force a drop out.

Couldn't fault him for effort but game management is crucial, especially when your 6 isn't that great at it either

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Missed more tackles than anyone else, butchered 2-3 good scoring opportunities when we had an overlap but he chose to run, got caught on the last a few times when the percentage play was the kick through to try and force a drop out.

Couldn't fault him for effort but game management is crucial, especially when your 6 isn't that great at it either
    Dom missed more, and he's a forward. Fages had greenwood running at him all night

Learning All The Songs

Fages
    Roby
    Knowles

I don’t remember him getting caught on the last a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I don’t remember him getting caught on the last a few times.
    He didn't, maybe on one occasion but Coote was managing our last plays most of the time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Think he got caught right at then end, but I put that down to game management by turning the ball over 98 yards from our try line

Learning All The Songs

Coote
    Fages
    Percy

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Dom missed more, and he's a forward. Fages had greenwood running at him all night
    Surprised by some of our loose defence and control we missed 45 tackles and came up with 14 errors the Goons missed 26 tackles and came up with 9 errors. It would suggest our attack was more clinical, for Wigan if Williams gets injured they are going to struggle for creativity.

In The South Stand

Fages
    Roby
    Coote

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Think he got caught right at then end, but I put that down to game management by turning the ball over 98 yards from our try line
    I think he also had a scoring opportunity but it was a good position to turn over the ball. I think his terrier like defence (sorry for the cliche) was important last night.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Probably slightly off-topic and I don’t usually comment on Wigan players but I thought Bullock (ginger haired Wigan prop) was one of the best players on the pitch last night. He and Gabe Hamlin got Wigan back into the game. For a player who’s played in the championship for a long time to play like that in his first game was a real effort and shows the level of quality there can be in that division. We know that better than most given how Alex Walmsley has developed but it’s good to see blokes in that league being given a full time opportunity IMO and i think it’s good that those signings are becoming more frequent.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Roby (his passing from the PTB last night was the best I have ever seen).
    Percy ( I thought his match up with Gildart would be great, but turned out one sided).
    Fages.

Learning All The Songs

Roby
    Percival
    Coote

Have to agree with Saint Toppy about Fages in attack. Looking back he was really poor in that department with the exception of two good kicks in the second half. His pass selection was wrong on numerous occasions and he over uses the short ball. Threw a few poor passss as well. Can’t fault the effort in defence though.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Surprised by some of our loose defence and control we missed 45 tackles and came up with 14 errors the Goons missed 26 tackles and came up with 9 errors. It would suggest our attack was more clinical, for Wigan if Williams gets injured they are going to struggle for creativity.
    I note that Sky’s stats had Saints missing 18 tackles and Wigan 15 so there’s clearly different interpretations of what constitutes a miss.

In The South Stand

I’m not. I didn’t think we were that good last night. Certainly not as good as some are saying. Wigan weren’t good either but we lacked discipline with and without the ball in the first half especially and our unforced errors (though it was very cold so I have some sympathy) was particularly high.

Their subs of Hamlin and Bullock were good moves by Lam and better than our reserves of LMS and Amor.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Not sure where the 45 missed tackles comes from ? If you are using a stats site then mt means marker tackles and often gets mistaken for missed tackles.

Learning All The Songs

Roby
    Lomax
    Knowles

I think without Lomax we would have struggled a lot more in a attacking sense. Personally considering Wigan had a lot of possession in good attacking positions I thought our goal line defence was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Not sure where the 45 missed tackles comes from ? If you are using a stats site then mt means marker tackles and often gets mistaken for missed tackles.
    The 45 missed tackles stat comes from Rugby-League.com but having watched the game live and then viewed the Sky coverage, I find it difficult to believe that it is correct. Certainly we didn’t seem under the sort of pressure that you’d expect such a high number of misses to generate: equally, if it is right, it just shows that it’s not particularly relevant as our scrambling efforts clearly overcame the misses quite easily.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    The 45 missed tackles stat comes from Rugby-League.com but having watched the game live and then viewed the Sky coverage, I find it difficult to believe that it is correct. Certainly we didn’t seem under the sort of pressure that you’d expect such a high number of misses to generate: equally, if it is right, it just shows that it’s not particularly relevant as our scrambling efforts clearly overcame the misses quite easily.
    It seems a huge amount. You would expect a team missing that many to be trounced.

Noooobie

From memory it was once that Fages was caught on the last, 2 metres from their line in the last 2 minutes. I haven't got a problem with that!

In The South Stand

Robes
    Fages
    Lomax